New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Just use the minimum octane needed for your car(check your manual), using a higher octane fuel than needed does nothing but lighten your wallet faster. A majority of modern cars are computer controlled and if you use an octane lower than recommended then ECU will compensate to prevent premature detonation of the air/fuel mixture. If you use a higher octane than recommended it will not be of any benefit, because the compression ratio of your engine does not change and that's when a higher octane fuel is needed to prevent premature detonation of the air/fuel mixture.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hindi ba 95 RON ang minimum octane rating ng Altis? I remember seeing this in the owner's manual. It'll run fine on 93 RON, but the manual seems to recommend the higher-octane fuel. Or am I mistaken?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Its ok to use higher octance fuel from time to time bec. of the added cleaning additives.

When calling casas, have the habbit of asking he name of the person u talked to.

Un lang.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    This is quoted direct from the ZZE121 Corolla owner's manual:
    With a three-way catalytic converter:
    Vehicles sold in Thai:
    3ZZ-FE engine (1.6L) - Select premium unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane Number (RON) of 95 or higher.
    1ZZ-FE engine (1.8L) - Select premium unleaded gasoline with a RON of 91 or higher.

Vehicles sold outside of Thai:
    Select unleaded gasoline with a RON of 90 or higher
    So yes pwedeng-pwede ang regular unleaded sa ZZE121 Altis. You'll be hard-pressed to find any gasoline here that has a RON lower than 93.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I have used shell's premium gasoline on my 1.6 altis. Mas ok ang takbo, parang naka v-power. Ok lang kaya yun? Had some thoughts after using it coz it might be leaded and may cause serious problems on the engine and cat. But if its ok, I will opt to use it regularly.

I have asked some toyota people regarding fuels before, because I hear some knocking sounds using unleaded fuel. They recommend hi octane (V-power, Blaze), but I dunno if it's ok to use premium gasoline. Mas ok pa kasi ang takbo pag naka premium ako.

Please enlighten fellow Tsikoteers esp. those who work for shell. TIA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Premium Gas on Unleaded