New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brainmafia_310 View Post
    agree Sir, pero its like hindi pa din pantay ung hatak or power niya kahit naalog na at nahalo parang may certain CC na mababa ROn may certain CC na mataas ron.

i also agree on the post above by sir niky, it just got me thinking na baka sa additives ng different brand nagkakatalo.
    I'm also wandering on this, pano nga ba natin masasabi na nahalo na yung 2 different brand of fuels that we mixed? Minsan din kasi while driving after mixing up, same RPM range minsan swabe, minsan naman sluggish. Could it be that the additives of 2 different brands, or lets say the fuel itself are not entirely being 'homogeneously mixed'? Kung anong part lang yung mahigop ng engine, yun na yung prevailing fuel that was used on that particular push on the pedal?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Re: gasoline ....... pare-pareho lang yan.

How will you people know the difference of 91 RON to 95 RON? Aside from reading the label in front of the gas pump?

Color?
    Smell?
    Taste?
    Bring it to an independent chem lab and have it analyzed?

My point is this ... Until we hapless consumers can find a way to REALLY determine what the petroleum companies say about octane ratings, fuel savings, super power this, diesel booster that, blah, blah ...... we would just have to bite the nail on the head, grin and bear it.

Because when that fuel reserve light blinks, you have no choice but to dive at the nearest gas station and top up.
    Well I can assure you that there's a difference between regular unleaded (e.g. FuelSave Gas, Silver, etc) and premium unleaded (V-Power, XCS, etc):

1. Base fuel is different - the base fuel (without additives or E10) has a different octane rating for regular and premium unleaded

2. Additives are different - the additives that one company uses for their premium gas is usually not the same as that of their regular gas. It is also important to note that all the claims you here on the radio or on TV have to pass through a claims table, and we cannot claim anything that isn't true. That said, as with any marketing spiel, it is about sending out the message as effectively as possible, and this includes exaggerations, or to be more politically correct, creative communications.

Take note though that the base fuel of each oil company is different. Mixing Petron base fuel with Shell additives will result to weird looking substances despite being chemically identical.

Also take note that for independent players, local regulations are poor with regards to controlling where they get their fuel. Most of it is imported as finished goods - possibly of better quality, but also possibly inferior to the ones refined locally. Euro IV this and Euro V that are good marketing ploys, but again the quality control for these smaller players is really shoddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    There's sometimes a gap in differences on paper and differences on the road.

The +10hp a 1.6L displacement engine might get from a more energy-dense fuel is useless whenever you play EDSA as an example.

There are differences in fuels. True. However these differences aren't really what we call "major differences" that we can quantify on a practical daily basis. Most of the "gains" is simply felt by placebo. Case to point:I've never sat in a car and successfully managed to guess which gas they use.. whether it's a daily driven vehicle or a Civic SiR doing track runs in Batangas. That is unless I obviously expect it to.. like a Ferrari.. where the high compression engine practically means it's sipping on Blaze 100 equivalent fuel. Even then, I might be wrong -- malay mo race fuel na Octane 113 gamit at pinaimport lang?

I understand that owners themselves say "X is better than Y" in fuel economy, power, etc. on my ride. However the fundamental premise is always invalidated is because the variables (how much pressure you step on the gas, how frequent did you use it, was any accessory putting an additional load, etc.) is not controlled. Kahit ano gawin mo, user experiences are flawed to begin with and as such is an unreliable data source.

I keep on telling people, the only time a fuel can have more power is if it's more energy-dense than your comparison standard. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not even taking account the entire car.. just the fuel.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; December 19th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123