New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmm.... sorry ah, baguhan kc me... kaya gnito question ko.

Whats the diff between the diff kinds of gas? Yun ba ung Octane Rating? If so, Ano ang Octane rating ng Velocity, Vortex Gold at ung sa Petron? hehe di ko alam name nung sa Petron eh.

At since we're talking na about gas, what kind/brand do you get? Talaga bang may ibang "hatak" pag yung ganung gas ang kinuha mo?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    On paper:

93 Octane: Shell Unleaded and Premium, Caltex Vortex Silver and Petron Unleaded
    95 Octane: Shell Velocity, Caltex Vortex Gold, Petron XCS and Total Fuels
    97 Octane: Petron Blaze

Right now I use Velocity because the car feels lightest there. Shell claims that it is the overall formulation and not the octane rating of the fuel that determines which one is the best. For instance, Total claims that their fuel is 95 octane, but it is way inferior to Velocity.

Blaze is also good, but it is now a bit more expensive than Velocity. So I'll stick with that.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    blaze gamit ko sa car ko... you can feel the difference sa hatak ng car when you compare to regular unleaded fuel.

and if normal driving circumstances, e.g. di mabigat paa mo and cruising speed ka lang, it increases your fuel economy

pero pag hataw ka ng hataw, madali syang mauubos versus their unleaded counterparts.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    96 octane lang ang petron blaze. Ito gamit ko ngayon sa ride ko. Ibang iba ang hatak compare to caltex silver, gold or protec by total. Konting apak lang sa gas pedal ramdam mo agad ang hila sa blaze, mas pino pa ang andar ng makina.
    IMO mas matipid pa ang blaze in the long run dahil mas efficient ang engine and less prone to pinging/tope ang makina.

Next time i'll try shell velocity naman. :D

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    On paper:

93 Octane: Shell Unleaded and Premium, Caltex Vortex Silver and Petron Unleaded
    95 Octane: Shell Velocity, Caltex Vortex Gold, Petron XCS and Total Fuels
    97 Octane: Petron Blaze

wow, you have a high octane rating there huh...here in US our highest is 92 octane for automobile use...our octane rating are as follows...we have the 87 octane...89octane and 92 octane..these are all unleaded gasoline...i'm just wondering
    thanks
    cale

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Cale,

The grading system for fuels here in the Philippines is different from the US. Ours is similar to what is used in Japan and in Europe.

AFAIK our 97 Octane fuel is equivalent to a 94 in the US.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The grading system for fuels here in the Philippines is different from the US. Ours is similar to what is used in Japan and in Europe.

so when your car manual says "minimum 100 octane" assuming that the car is a japanese import your using 4-5 octane points lower when you fill er up with blaze or velocity???? eh di we aint gettin our engine up to its full potential?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup. That's why here i don't get the as quoted BHP figure of my car * the crank / flywheel.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Japan's 100 octane translates to about 110-115 octane here on in europe, and 105-110 octane in the US.

Shell's "reduced octane" gasolines are not actually octane reduced, but the advertised octane is lower to prevent legal trouble. I got this confirmed from both Shell UK and Shell PH. Velocity (Optimax) is still guaranteed 97 minimum, but they advertise it as 95 in case some unscrupulous gas station mixes it with SUL and lowers the rating. Basically it saves trouble for the parent company.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    used to use a shell/petron unleaded lang sa car ko. pero napansin ko, may minor engine knocks pa.

switched to petron xcs plus, with octane rating 95 ron. nawala knocks. cheaper than blaze or velocity.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Lets talk about gas!