New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    Kadaj,
    I'm pretty sure Otep did not intend to offend you.

In case you change your mind, you are still very welcome here in Tsikot.com. Hope we can still hear from you.

Regards.
    djerms,

oh thats nothing dude

i just think i cant post im too busy too

& its just that there's this us based forum that i like being at

but maybe i'd still post every once in a while

matitiis ko ba kayo.. my beloved fellow pinoys

my brothers & comrades in arms

otep.. my respects & high regards goes to you man

till here,

-kadaj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ytSrbjgIg

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kadaj,
    Read your owner's manual. It is a good place to start learning the basics. Most of the people in this forum have either met personally or in one way or the other have talked, texted and exchanged information on the internet through email. Who knows one of these days we will meet you through one of our EBs or impromptu get together or, knock on wood, emergencies situations.
    Enjoy your stay here and please, when in doubt, don't.
    Last edited by afrasay; November 21st, 2006 at 12:16 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Now, can we go back to the topic?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    I cannot understand why leaving the car in "Drive" while holding down the brake will save fuel.

If the car is in "Drive" but you are not pressing the gas, the engine is just idling, however it still is spinning the torque converter. Since you're holding down the brake, this results in no movement, instead the engine's energy is wasted spinning the torque converter and heating up the ATF.

If the car is in "Neutral" my understanding is that, like a manual tranny, the engine is disengaged from the transmission, so it's just idling. The reason why the idle goes up when in neutral is simply because there's no more load (of spinning the torque converter) so the engine turns a bit faster. But it should settle back down to the normal idle unless something's wrong with your idle air control valve and/or throttle position sensor.

Of course I've never driven an auto-tranny car so this is just speculation.
    You're right Orly, it is a theory!
    Even the manual said that. but for high rev. maybe the a/c was on...
    Of course it is not advisable to stick to the break pedal for a long period of time specially during traffic.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    Now, can we go back to the topic?
    It's long time indeed, way back 2006 and now is 2011! For me, the topic discloses already..
    Manual says, right tire pressure gives better FC. I cannot find over inflation gives "best" FC, rather states great wear on tire!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The manual is not always right. Overinflating to the point just before the tire starts to crown gives you the best economy possible without sacrificing safety or tire durability. Typically this is at 40-45 psi (as long as the tire is rated to 50 psi, like most modern tires are, this is okay).

The recommended tire pressure in the manual takes into account load capacity, tire noise and ride comfort... which is why there are separate recommendations for full load and light load. Light load pressures give you maximum comfort, but this is unsafe for a full load. Inflating over the full load recommendation but under the maximum inflation pressure stated on the tire is safe and will save you fuel in traffic and on the highway at moderate speeds (80 km/h and under). At higher speeds, the difference is slight.

And they'll ride like absolute garbage.

I tend to overinflate my tires a bit. I use about 35 psi in my car and 32-36 psi on the Crosswind... though 32 feels a bit soft and I'm looking to increase to about 38-40.

Hypermilers like to inflate to 40 psi or more, but I don't feel that brave. Given our potholes around here, that would be murder on my back.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The manual is not always right. Overinflating to the point just before the tire starts to crown gives you the best economy possible without sacrificing safety or tire durability. Typically this is at 40-45 psi (as long as the tire is rated to 50 psi, like most modern tires are, this is okay).

The recommended tire pressure in the manual takes into account load capacity, tire noise and ride comfort... which is why there are separate recommendations for full load and light load. Light load pressures give you maximum comfort, but this is unsafe for a full load. Inflating over the full load recommendation but under the maximum inflation pressure stated on the tire is safe and will save you fuel in traffic and on the highway at moderate speeds (80 km/h and under). At higher speeds, the difference is slight.

I tend to overinflate my tires a bit. I use about 35 psi in my car and 32-36 psi on the Crosswind... though 32 feels a bit soft and I'm looking to increase to about 38-40.
    Your passengers might complain to the high heavens with the Crosswind though. I also use 33-34psi on the car and around 35-37 on the SUV or van; passengers start complaining once i go over 33psi with the Innova though.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Hypermilers like to inflate to 40 psi or more, but I don't feel that brave. Given our potholes around here, that would be murder on my back.
    Dont be offended, I want to clarify the basis, if it is based on experience or simulation? or experience with simulation?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Dont be offended, I want to clarify the basis, if it is based on experience or simulation? or experience with simulation?

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    me inflates my tires at 32 psi when cold....they can reach up to 38 or 40 psi when hot.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Increased fuel economy from over-inflated tires