New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Kadaj - just curious, what car do you drive?

i just drive a lancer 1.5 exe & a nissan serena subic, ive been using the serena the most coz of its excellent fuel economy system.. like i drove to subic once & it only took me about 250 peso gas & im not kidding coz ive recorded and calculated every inch.. that's how basically i love that car.. its 2.0 and my 100 bucks of fuel goes a long way here in city drivin.. i dunno, maybe the facade adds up to it.. its spoonlike shape is so aerodynamic. Another thing is its so roomy i could stuff anythin there, like do deliveries like computers and carry equipments tripods & cameras or somethin. Id love to keep it for a long while coz it serves me best & much more. if i get money id still opt to big ones.. like a hilux surf or d new rav4.. as for the lancer i think i'll be selling it soon & i think i already have a buyer

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    thats it.. ive filled this thread enough... im leavin this and go to other threads.

gentlemen!.. its been a pleasure

-kadaj

Raise the f--kin' flag.. the flag of mutiny!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you dont have to raise the handbreak in A/T you just put it in P
    This is a great way to break a tranny. The parking brake exists for a reason -to hold the vehicle while parked. The transmission is not designed to bear the weight of the vehicle while parked. It is only called 'P' because it locks the transmission. However, it is not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle. The only people I know that teaches their clients not to use the parking brake is the Honda casa (not the Honda plant). The casa people sell more transmissions that way.

raising the parkbreaks in traffic is not advisable
    That's what the idiot light on the dash is for. And if a driver cannot remember that his parking brake is engaged, he shouldn't be driving in the first place. A vehicle is shifted to N and the parking brake raised while stopped for extended periods (e.g. traffic lights) because this is the safer position. Should anything happen to the driver (lose consciousness, foot slips off the brake, get hit by another vehicle, etc.), the vehicle will not go anywhere. It will just idle. I'd rather have a vehicle that drags on it's brakes for a foot or two (assuming idiot driver on board) instead of a runaway car.

remedy is simple, you press overdrive when you reach start of the sweet spot which is 40kph
    Have you ever read the A/T threads around here? Leaving the O/D on does not "puts a big load on your engine which speeds up your wear & tear". O/D is nothing more than an electric switch not too different from your bedroom light switch. Switch it on, and the vehicle will go into 4th gear (or whatever your top gear is) when it reaches the correct speed for that gear. Leave it off and it goes up to direct drive only (gear ratio 1.00, usually 3rd gear). However, there's no difference between having O/D on or off from 1st to direct drive (3rd) gear. Even the lamest vehicle service manual (e.g. Haynes) will teach you this.

now if anyone would disproove that, it would only mean two things.. either he's a manual driver & doesnt know anythin about automatic trannies or he drives an automatic car & he's completely out of his mind
    Ok. Whatever floats your boat...

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a bit OT, but it is discussed in the thread

Out of curiosity, i've enabled the fuel consumption metering in liters/hour of my car and tested idling at N and at D, both with park brake engaged, aircon off, cold engine ... the engine consumes more fuel (an additional 0.3-0.5 liters/hour) when at D.

The engine consumes 1.5 liters/hour at cold start (at N) when test was done but i know in the past it drops to 0.5 li/hr when hot (aircon off).

For an ECU controlled engine, the idling control will compensate for any load such as staying at D while parked (or aircon in use) and deliver more fuel to achieve fairly constant rpm ... this is shown by the li/hr metering ... unfortunately, afaik, not many cars have this metering feature, or if they have it, not many owners know how to activate it (because it is not in the user manual!).

For fuel economy, in my experience, nothing beats the "egg-on-the-pedal" technique ... and true enough, it shows on real-time km/li metering while driving.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    If the car is in "Neutral" my understanding is that, like a manual tranny, the engine is disengaged from the transmission, so it's just idling. The reason why the idle goes up when in neutral is simply because there's no more load (of spinning the torque converter) so the engine turns a bit faster. But it should settle back down to the normal idle unless something's wrong with your idle air control valve and/or throttle position sensor.

Of course I've never driven an auto-tranny car so this is just speculation.
    this is one way to kill the ATF (and worse, A/T) ng pajero. the fluid won't be circulated to the atf oil cooler in front if in neutral...tapos in midday traffic pa. panalo.

teka! we need more expert opinion from kadaj!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On most modern cars, the ATF pump is running wheter you are in D or N.

Hindi nga lang sisirit under pressure when in N unlike in D. But it doesn't mean the pump is dead.

A tranny is not like an engine that will suddenly overheat while in traffic. Some vehicles don't even have tranny coolers and manage to stay cool enough. At idle and in neutral, the transmission is not under stress just like the fluids in the differentials.

Btw, the idiot lamp is supposed to go on if you overheat a tranny.
    Last edited by OTEP; November 17th, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    assuming na good condition yung tranny.

which reminds me, i need to have new atf soon. heheheh.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What role does tranny condition have to do with it? It is not the tranny that gets cooked when it overheats (unlike in an engine). Rather its the ATF.

ATF overheats due to stress (e.g. running at very high speeds, towing, extreme gradients) because it is transmitting drive force . It will not overheat in traffic (idling and in neutral) simply because the transmission is not moving and there is no load on it. Even if the ambient temperature is high, the transmission will not overheat (and give you an idiot light).

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    otap

ive noticed youve filled every threads with posts like a novice regular poster

may i remind you that your position (whatever that is suppose to mean) is an administrator, you are suppose to represent a detached objective office where your subjective person is not expected to interfere with

you are suppose to come in only to arbitrate & shed light & to remind members of house rules, not to join trivial talks & display your immature 'mr.know-it-all' posts trailing every posts displayed copy-pasting your unsolicited advice from other car professional sites

strictly for the birds, i see more professionalism from other members such as bogeyman, kinyo & others the first time i came here & actually thought you are the typical ksp poster

maybe you should relinquish your position to someone more competent, i guess your not fit for the job

as for me.. i enjoy & learn more from my other foreign car forums in the net.. & begin to think this site appears to be one of those mere 'pinoy rackets'
    run by 'whatever they are'

hahaha!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    OT: easy lang sir kadaj,

no need for name calling... you don't see nugundam93 and otep doing that kahit na may difference sila ng opinions.

BTW. welcome to tsikot.com!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Increased fuel economy from over-inflated tires