New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    This is interesting:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4199963.html

"To invoke the MythBusters, we’d now consider the myth of increased fuel economy from over-inflated tires officially busted. So why didn’t the harder tires with less drag result in better mileage? Well, you’ve got to figure that, at 70 mph or so, the aerodynamic drag of the car’s body is probably outweighing the small improvements the tires gave us."

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    But how may of us actually drive at 70mph?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I wonder what would be the result if the speed was lower? ... say 40-50mph?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *otep: tama, it's way too fast * 110kph on our tight, short, metropolis roads. it will just guzzle up the fuel. (hataw mode ikanga!)

Our tires in our vehicles is about 3 to 5psi more than the recommended. 32-33psi on my sedan while 33 up to 36psi in our van,..improvements on gas mileage??? hmmm... can't really say though,.. there are many things to consider for increase fuel eco aside from over-inflating it. However, better fuel economy can be manifested on our basic 'drivng style' parin.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I wonder what would be the result if the speed was lower? ... say 40-50mph?
    yup, same thought,.. it might be possible that they can marginally achieve a better result siguro.

Excerpt from PM:
    The door placard on the Honda recommends 32 psi in all four tires. The sidewall says the maximum pressure for the tires is 50 psi. So for the trip to Arizona, we inflated the tires to 45 psi.
    Pansin ko lang, Bridgestone & Goodyear on our rides recommends a max. of 44psi only says on its' sidewall. Let say a 195/60, 55, or 50's on 15's rim recommends a tire pressure not lower than 25psi and not exceeding * 35psi for most cars in our door placard shows. So what kind or brand of a tire w/ a max. of 50psi on its' sidewall equipts a Honda Fit for a sub-compact car?? hmmmm... I wonder what that is... Astonishing and somehow vague, noh?! They've surpassed the max. recommended psi for most sedans or mid-size sedans ha! Buti hindi pumutok along California roads per se at 45psi running at a crusing ave. speed of 70mph!... hmmm... sabagay maganda kalye nila.
    Last edited by rayban7g; October 20th, 2006 at 01:00 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Usually truck tires na ang may 50psi max pressure. The tires on the MB100 are also rated 50psi max just like on my Pajero. Of course I don't drive around with 50psi in them. hehehe.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Usually truck tires na ang may 50psi max pressure. The tires on the MB100 are also rated 50psi max just like on my Pajero. Of course I don't drive around with 50psi in them. hehehe.
    OT: at least oks lang sa Pajs mo and some trucks w/ 50psi on it, hehe, walang prob dun! Yun nga lang nag raise ng question ko na how come ganun yung max. recommended psi sa sidewall of that tire for such a small car?!?... labo noh!!!... hihihi! Top of the line VTEC Jazz equipts a 185/55 15, so malamang max. pressure nun is around 44psi,... iba siguro classification ng gulong sa tate, hmmmm....
    Last edited by rayban7g; October 20th, 2006 at 01:16 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Parang semento na yan sa 50psi. Ganun din ata ang tire pressure ng GM EV1 dati.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    yung mga electric cars na nakita ko puro nakaganyan eh, low rolling resistance/high pressure tires. the mileage might increases yeah, but i would imagine the ride will be horrible. lumampas pa nga lang ng 35 psi feel mo na yung tagtag eh..

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Parang semento na yan sa 50psi.
    ahehe, sinabe mo pa pre..

At 45 psi, the ride was brittle. In fact, the tires were so stiff they nearly vibrated our garage-door opener right off the sun visor.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Increased fuel economy from over-inflated tires