New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I'd rather have a high-tech diesel. Though I hope they improve it further like forced induction diesel, 500cc with 300hp and 600Nm torque. hehe.

Just imagine the cost of replacing those Ni-MH batteries.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    There should definitely be some tax incentive to buying a hybrid.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Honda insight here in Davao. Seen one.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Prius hybrid (we road tested it last year) is an unobjectionable car. It's got more than enough power for Philippine conditions (tested it 0-100 in about 10.8 seconds), it'll do about 23-25 km/l in traffic and about 20 km/l on the highway, and it's somewhat roomier than the Corolla, with a nice, plush interior... and it's very comfortable to drive.

At the price, it doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint. A Honda Jazz or a Ford Focus TDCi is more economical (in terms of total cost and fuel economy... both cars get fuel economy that isn't much worse in the city, and actually as good as or better on the highway)... So let's just say that it's a semi-luxury cruiser that lets you go for loooong periods of time between refills.
    Last edited by niky; February 5th, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    At the moment, the only reason to buy a hybrid is to protect the environment.
    In my opinion, Not at all.

See, the manufacturing and disposing of its main component alone - the batteries - is a big problem already.

It's like you created a solution (rechargeable batts) but you made a bigger problem (toxic waste)...

Aside from hi-tech diesel, Hydrogen seems to be very feasible as a pro-environment energy (so far)...

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Saw a Camry Hybrid in Auto Gallery. Also saw another Camry Hybrid in Rustan's Forbes.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Saw a prius and civic hybrid last year lapit sa market market. It belongs to the DOE. Donated by Toyota and Honda.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    I'd rather have a high-tech diesel. Though I hope they improve it further like forced induction diesel, 500cc with 300hp and 600Nm torque. hehe.

Just imagine the cost of replacing those Ni-MH batteries.
    I don't think there's much of a problem in terms of replacing the Ni-MH batts. Since the launch of the Prius in late 1999 there wasn't a single replacement history. That just goes to show that the battery outlasted the typical gas/diesel engine which needs constant maintenance. In the US, Japan and Europe very typical na yung mga naka hybrid vehicles from Ford Escape to BMW midsize sedans.

Alternative fuel source is still the best. H20??

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The problem effects aren't so obvious yet because it's not yet mainstream. If it starts to sell even just a quarter that of gasoline cars, then it'll be more noticeable.

But one doesn't need to wait to see the results. One just have to analyze the flowchart.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    The problem effects aren't so obvious yet because it's not yet mainstream. If it starts to sell even just a quarter that of gasoline cars, then it'll be more noticeable.

But one doesn't need to wait to see the results. One just have to analyze the flowchart.

Tama, analyze the charts. Kaya nga I mentioned the countries that are using hybrid vehicles specially in Europe(daming hybrids dun) where I've stayed for almost 3 years and Japan 1 year... wala akong naririnig or na encounter na hybrid owner na nagrereklamo na sirain yung hybrid na binili nila regardless of Make, Model and Year. I even asked the question what if the battery needs replacing? sabi lang ng mga casa and mechs na mas madali tanggalin at i replace ang battery since 1 piece lang siya compared to overhauling an engine. Besides, recyclable ang batt na ginagamit sa mga hybrids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hybrids in the Philippines?