New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    One time I went to a Toyota dealership to check out the new Corolla Cross, first thing I asked is how much would a replacement battery cost, sabi niya around 300K daw IIRC, that's on top of the ICE maintenance pa..

But then again, a battery replacement wouldn't probably be needed in 10 years, ewan ko di pa din talaga ako fully sold sa Hybrids and EVs unless they invent ultra durable batteries. Hybrids and EV

Sent from my H8266 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LancerA174A View Post
    One time I went to a Toyota dealership to check out the new Corolla Cross, first thing I asked is how much would a replacement battery cost, sabi niya around 300K daw IIRC, that's on top of the ICE maintenance pa..

But then again, a battery replacement wouldn't probably be needed in 10 years, ewan ko di pa din talaga ako fully sold sa Hybrids and EVs unless they invent ultra durable batteries. Hybrids and EV

Sent from my H8266 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    i believe the battery has a warranty of several years...

but they have to bring down the price of these EVs and hybrids, for the consumed public to want to buy them.
    Last edited by dr. d; November 26th, 2020 at 12:01 AM.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    If they cannot bring the cost of battery replacement, this will not sell. Wasteful purchase lang. Imagine, in 10+ years, when its someone's problem, cost of replacing the battery is equivalent to cost of the car. Bili ka na lang ng ice engined car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    May 2014
    Here has been my take about Hybrids, EVs and ICE.

We all already have ICE vehicles. If your garage/carport can keep your standard "lineup" of at least 2 to 3 vehicles, you can "reasonably" own 1 EV while keeping ICE vehicles for long trips.

Hybrids, for me, are for those who can't fully take the plunge to go with an EV because of range anxiety. But my main gripe with going with a hybrid is you are dealing with 2 powertrains/systems in your vehicle. Granted, the EV side of the hybrid requires "less" maintenance but that can lead to issues in PMS or make it harder to DIY/outside dealer mechanic/shop repair done (depending on implementation of the hybrid system).

For someone like me who only averages a maximum of 10,000kms annually in total mileage that already includes out of town highway trips in that 10,000kms, most of my travel is done in city conditions where a "round trip" usually does not exceed 30kms. An EV definitely makes sense, and an EV with a max range of betwenn 150kms to a max of 200kms will be more than enough to keep enough charge for a whole week (mainly use it on weekdays) already. I do not need the Tesla Range nor the Fast Charging Tech as I envision a home EV charging setup that can be done at home with less than 10amps on 220Volts so there is no need to retrofit a fast charger that will require upgrading a circuit of my breaker, or even needing to step up to 400Volts for fast charging.

As long as EV expectation is "reasonable" (meaning I don't plan on using it for out of town trips), there is no reason for me to have range anxiety. I do have reasonable expectation that the battery will have active cooling and not the nonsense in the Nissan Leaf. That lack of active thermal management will really kill it even before 10 years.

With active cooling, not relying on "Excessive" fast charging, and just maintaining a good "float" battery trickle charge over a standard 220v outlet, I can maintain reasonable range + reserve. This will limit excessive temperature peaks/gains that can greatly reduce battery longevity. Reasonably, I won't have to worry about excessive battery degradation, even with current car tech for Li-Ion or Ni-Mh tech in the first 3 years, or maybe 5 years. As long as we are looking at EVs as just city cars and not highway cruisers, expectations can be managed. But, it is not outside realm of possibility that EV highway cruisers will be more practical if battery power density without needing to increase in overall size that is coupled with improved charging infrastructure. But that is something I do not worry myself about given how work/life schedule is.

If the concern is about increasing Meralco bills, then I would suggest your concern be addressed with studying up on Grid-Tie In Solar Panel System with no Battery Storage so that 1) you don't need to spend excessively on battery storage and 2) you don't need to worry about recurring costs for battery replacement 3)you only have to consider panel lifespan and inverter controller to simplify your "system" add-on.

What happens to the ICE cars? Why keep ICE (Gas or Diesel)? They would be the out of town car(s) or backup car if the EV does suffer an issue or needs to continue charging because of insufficient range during the weekdays. Weekends is the time the EV is kept at home to continue charging to restore it back to full capacity/close to it as I plan to rely only on less than 10amps charge.

Currently, from a realistic "SRP" expectation from a marquee that is currently sold here, the MG ZS EV seems like it fits into that category and I am really curious if TCCCI really has any plans to release it or they are just teasing. The reviews for it seem good for UK owners as long as you consider it as a simple practical A to B car. But I expect that in 5 years time, we will slowly see more reasonably priced (and more options) from all brands.

The Honda E is really nice and fits the minimum range, but it is already too expensive in the standard EV markets, so it will be more expensive once it is imported here. Mazda's recently released MX-30 also has a premium price markup considering it's "limited" EV tech/capacity and it seems, per reports/disclosures online mention Mazda is still focusing tech development on ICE and will most likely rely on Toyota tech for the EV development as Toyota is a part owner now. I think Bjorn Nyland's review on Youtube of the MX-30 really reveals the weakness of the MX30 as an EV.

The current lineup of "Cheap EVs" from China, aren't "bad" (Those priced below or around 20,000USD) and are interesting vehicles just with how much they can cram and give the Chinese Market in terms of specs/range. For those around 5k USD though, safety seems less of a "feature" but they seem to be for the Chinese Rural market and not Urban setting or highway use. (those youtube videos are just interesting to watch how the development moves forward). For China EV market, a new YT channel named Wheelsboy is where I recently stumbled upon and it is interesting to see brands/models we most likely will never get here with their prices. =)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Climate Alarmist Greta Thunberg: HOW DARE YOU TOYODA!

Toyota LandCruiser and HiLux diesel hybrids in the works - carsales.com.au

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The pressure is on Hari.. 10yrs dapat talaga...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Buti pa ang Vietnam

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Vuong is Vietnam's richest. I think he has all the logistics to make EVs especially the batteries. The motors are probably licensed from Italy or Japan or the Wuhan(joke).....The ADAS system is probably licensed from suppliers like Hitachi or Bosch. Galing ng system integrators.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    toyota better sell this with half the price

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast