New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Sirs:

As a resident of Fairview, I have no real problem gassing up on discounted diesel. As a businessman, as far as I am concerned a bargain is a bargain.

The price of fuel is expensive here because the gov't derives much of its tax from it. They prefer taxing necessities like fuel, electricity and food rather than properly assessing the taxes owed by certain large corporations.

The issue here is the application of a single broad tax on rich and poor alike, rather than a progressive tax which places more of the burden on the rich rather than one that burdens everyone - regardless of their ability to pay.

One of the best examples of this is a sales tax, or the VAT - a value added tax.

It is no accident that such systems are promoted by bureaucrats, particularly foreign bankers who insist that they be paid immediately, and even have the gov't pass special amendments to the constitution (like the "automatic appropriation provision" of Tita Cory - yes I used to work in Congress) just so they can collect.

Why do they do this?

First they don't have to fight the corporations lawyers and accountants, who working for the private sector are better than their gov't counterparts.

Second the revenue stream is constant.

Third they get it immediately, its remitted by the oil companies with every sale.

Do you realize that gas in the USA is only about Php 34 - 35 per liter?!!! Even when the daily pay of the average American is much higher than the monthly pay of the average Filipino?

As to quality, don't worry, the oil companies are too busy to make different grades of fuel for the poor and rich. I have talked to the guys whose job it is to make the stuff.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Puro tax talaga. Combined with inflation, and non-rising wages, the buying power of Filipinos decrease yearly.

The stupid energy summit didn't even consider the only feasible mean of reducing fuel prices - slashing the EVAT. Now the price reduction obtained from that energy summit (by reducing the tariff) is gone.

Also, the tax that we pay for is largely used to pay off debts.

Don't you people think that this endless taxation is futile, considering almost every major project this government undertakes consists of overinflated borrowing?

If this country wishes to get boatloads of money, why not look for oil, or go after the major tax evaders and hidden caches of wealth. But, oops. Imelda just got acquitted, and this administration practically gave up the Spratlys to other countries (I believe that the agreement is simply a formality).

Way to go.

We live in hard times, and I can't imagine what it would be like in 7 years, when I find myself in the same situation as many of you tsikoteers.

Sometimes I just wish that this status quo would simply tear itself apart, and make way for a true revolution.

But that's wishful thinking.

Oh, by the way, yes, I now refuse offers to fill up on those discounted pumps. But I notice that more and more private vehicles seem to take advantage of it, though. bugger.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sa SeaOil, lagi discounted PUJ Rate ang ibibigay sa iyo
    whether you ask for it or not.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hindi kaya mas maganda na instead na discount on fuel ang offer nila ay free service na lang ibigay nila like free mechanic services to keep the engines in top form?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hay naku yung mga gas company na yan walang luge yan kahit magbaba ng price. sa planta ng gaslolinahan nagwowork yung kakilala ko and they computed the estimated income of their company kahit daw magbaba ng presyo walang kaluge luge. yun kasing mga gas station mag ttropa ang mga ceo niyan kapag nagtaas ang isa nagtatwagan yan kung kelan magtataas. kaya talagang no choice ang mga katulad natin.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Gassing up on PUJ discounted diesel!