New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I'd go for gas nowadays. Like what you said, there is not much difference. I used to have an Isuzu Trooper and I would spend around P5k for the 5000km pms intervals as compared to my current ride now which is an Xtrail and would spend only P2k-3k. On the 20k km pms, Isuzu charged me P15k since they have to replace a lot of things. I just had my 20k km pms of my Xtrail and I spent only P3k. Indeed, you get better milegae with the diesel but I think it is still a lot cheaper over all to maintain a gas. Unless you go up the mountains a lot or pull your jetskis hehe, you don't need the torque advantage of a diesel. However, in Europe, diesel engines are the prefrerred engines because it easily passes the Euro emmission requirements. A well maintained diesel engine is safer for the environment.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    well mas maganda pa rin talaga ang gas in the coming year, kasi baka magpantay na ang price nila..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta marunong ka mag-alaga. Makakatipid ka sa diesel in terms of maintenance. Sa 4d56, you can use commercial truck parts and the engine can be serviced almost anywhere. Even with limited mechanical knowledge, you can work on a diesel.

Yes, mas efficient ang diesel. If diesel and gas na same displacement, mas matipid pa din ang diesel.

Diesels are also more tolerant of abuse based on my experience. They are inherently simpler with less parts to break.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    also, less complicated by comparisson. yung mga gas engines ngayon, sasakit ang ulo mo kapag nagkaroon ng mechanical problems. di mo pa basta maisugod sa baha. i used to believe na diesel is no good... until we had our diesel pick-up ayun. nagbago lahat ng tingin ko sa diesel, although minsan i enjoy pa rin ang gas.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zeagle
    ...However, in Europe, diesel engines are the prefrerred engines because it easily passes the Euro emmission requirements. A well maintained diesel engine is safer for the environment...
    I will agree to this as long as the cars I drive and the cars I see on the road are mostly BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Opel, and Volvo.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    I think it depends on the car... kung 4li V6(v6 ba?) diesel landcruiser or 3 liter diesel premium SUV I think maintenance cost would surely be high.

The explorer is gas but its certainly not fuel frugal and maintenance cost is surely not average. But generally, you'd get more mileage with the diesel. Its why we also got a diesel pickup. Its something to throw around and abuse for the daily driver... while the gas powered car is used on weekend getaways with the family or for those long arduous drives up north(or south ) because comfort is certainly the strong point of gas powered cars.

In europe I think the price of the diesel is the same with petrol, which is why diesel subcompacts are very popular there. Of course its also because of the narrow curvy streets hehehe
    Last edited by cardo; July 30th, 2005 at 12:28 PM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    sir, to answer your question. oo, tama ka. konti na lang ang difference ng diesel at gas in terms of pump prices. nagkakatalo lang talaga sila sa fuel efficiency. mas mataas ang thermal efficiency ng diesel engine kesa sa gas engine. sa maintenance, mas ok ang diesel kasi heavy duty ito. and torquey, by the way. mas magamit ang torque sa low-end rpm, lalo at stop and go traffic. in this regard ang diesel panalo. imagine the torque of a diesel to a gas, well it is stunning. take for example these two engines: d15y7 (civic lxi, 106hp*6400rpm, 13.8 kg-m *3800 rpm) 1.5L, 4jhtc-1 (130hp*3400rpm, 28.5 kg-m *2000 rpm) 3.0L TDIC. alam mo ba ang fuel consumption ng diesel is much better than the 1.5L gas engine? average ang 12 km/L sa diesel while sa gas naman 9-10 km/L on combined (based on my own rides) highway and city driving. constrained ako sa 2000 rpm limit lagi, 80 km/h sa highway.

saan ka pa? wala lang opinion lang po.

sa

Uhm, I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. There is no comparison between a 1.5l gas engine and a 3.0l turbo diesel. The initial cost of acquisition alone would easily throw of any comparative value.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Obvious Diesel Ako, Isuzu Kami And We Don't Have Gas Models! But The Common Complain In Smoke Belching Boils Down To Our Quality Of Diesel... At Any Rate Have You Test-drived An Alterra 3.0 Iteq 146 Hp Engine That Is Euroiii Compliant... You Are All Invited! Isa-isa Lang.. Just Bring Your Valid Driver's License. See You! Ray * Isuzu Makati

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    sa trend ng oil pricing ngayon pag di nagbago dapat bago magpasko bumaba pa ang presyo ng diesel.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trader
    Uhm, I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. There is no comparison between a 1.5l gas engine and a 3.0l turbo diesel. The initial cost of acquisition alone would easily throw of any comparative value.
    sir with all due respect, i'm referring to the fuel consumption of the two (that is "apple" and "orange" to you). of course there is no comparisson, but as the thread starter was asking, which of the two was more efficient. but as a basis as this thread as concerned, the mention of such is necessary to point out the view of other posters. in my case, i have the advantage of having to say my opinion on which is much better for me. if it concerns you, my point is, i took the on power-to-weight ratio vs. efficiency as my basis of comparisson of the two.

"the initial cost of acquisition?" i beg your pardon what do mean by this? is it the pump price of the fuel?
    Last edited by ian_rex; July 30th, 2005 at 04:23 PM.

GAS or DIESEL [Merged]