New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No.

Leaving the engine to cold-idle will cause it to wear down more. 99% (may not be exact, but it's that way) of your engine wear comes from cold-starts and cold running, wherein engine friction from cold parts and oil is the greatest.

If you're using it every weekend, that should be enough.

If you feel bad about it, then go for a drive every other night... let the car idle for half-a-minute only, then drive off somewhere and see the sights. (just don't drive down Commonwealth at midnight... baka i-carnap ka dyan!) Drive long enough for the car to get up to temperature and run "warm" for a dozen kilometers or so.

Never let your car idle in the garage. Take it out and make her happy...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by devdevlin View Post
    penge naman tips mga tol baguhan lng kse. bbili na kase ako bago oto pero 2wing weekend ko lang naman balak gamitin. advisable ba na patakbuhin ko once in a while yun makina (in idle) for a couple of minutes para hindi matuyo loob ng makina? if so, ilan minutes at tuwing kelan?
    Using your car every weekend only is just fine. There's no need to start the engine in between. Kahit na bumaba na ang langis, may naiiwan pa rin sa surface ng makina.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    No.

Leaving the engine to cold-idle will cause it to wear down more. 99% (may not be exact, but it's that way) of your engine wear comes from cold-starts and cold running, wherein engine friction from cold parts and oil is the greatest.

If you're using it every weekend, that should be enough.

If you feel bad about it, then go for a drive every other night... let the car idle for half-a-minute only, then drive off somewhere and see the sights. (just don't drive down Commonwealth at midnight... baka i-carnap ka dyan!) Drive long enough for the car to get up to temperature and run "warm" for a dozen kilometers or so.

Never let your car idle in the garage. Take it out and make her happy...
    salamat sa tip niky tsaka j_avonni. cge sa marcos highway n lng ako ikot ikot baka may makita pa mga chiks sa mga club whahaha :D

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Oo nga very informative.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I recall Castrol Magnatec Oil says that 75% of engine wear could occur during startup and warmup.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by devdevlin View Post
    salamat sa tip niky tsaka j_avonni. cge sa marcos highway n lng ako ikot ikot baka may makita pa mga chiks sa mga club whahaha :D
    Driving around would defeat the purpose of this thread, i.e. fuel saving. However, for peace of mind okay lang yan. Kaysa naman masira ang makina mo, which is more expensive that fuel.

One disadvantage of driving around ay baka may makita kang chicks sa club.
    That would be additional expense. Anyway, pag may nakita ka i-text mo lang ako.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    Driving around would defeat the purpose of this thread, i.e. fuel saving. However, for peace of mind okay lang yan. Kaysa naman masira ang makina mo, which is more expensive that fuel.

One disadvantage of driving around ay baka may makita kang chicks sa club.
    That would be additional expense. Anyway, pag may nakita ka i-text mo lang ako.
    tol madami makakatulong satin pag dating sa chikas pero hindi ito ang tamang thread hehehe :D

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Other things that might help you out and others also save fuel.

1. Carpool. It's a good idea to start a carpool club in your office or work. You not only get to meet people, you save money for gas. You have to make some carpool rules though. No one should be late, no eating, etc. You have to decide.

2. Plan ahead. Call ahead to ask for directions or buy a map and look at the area you'll be going to. Plan your route so that you don't keep going back and forth. If you're in sales, you really need to map out the destinations and routes you need to take to save time and gas.

3. Make sure that your vehicle is properly maintained. As mentioned in other tips. (Air Filter, fuel filter, tire pressure etc.)

4. Fix a Flat. Most tires nowadays are tubeless. You can consider buying a fix a flat or some other brand that you can use so you can leave the spare tire at home. The weight of the spare tire could save you money in gas savings. (put the spare tire on if you'll be doing long trips or if you generally go for long distances or rough roads.)

5. If you have a brand new gasoline engine, you should take the time to look into LPG conversion kits by Tartarini. You can save up to 40% of your fuel cost. Only viable if you drive long distance and you're not driving a mini car. If you're driving a small car like Picanto or Getz. I don't think it will be necessary.

6. Limit your RPM to less than 2000. It saves you gas. (I heard about this from my cousin and he got an additional 2 to 3 kms/ liter.)

7. Loud stereos also would use up more fuel. It will put an additional burden on your alternator. But please, use your lights at night. Headlights are for you to see others and also for others to see you. keep those on at night.

8. Driving at night for long distances could save you also more fuel. Less traffic and also the air is more dense. Cooler air will give you better fuel efficiency.

9. Shut off your engine when you're waiting for someone.

Hope this helps.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    [QUOTE=devildog;845277]
    7. Loud stereos also would use up more fuel. It will put an additional burden on your alternator. But please, use your lights at night. Headlights are for you to see others and also for others to see you. keep those on at night.
    QUOTE]

the item above are kinda debatable...sure there is a load in the atternator but it would almost be negligible to the amount of power of engine vis a vis the torque input of Alternator...BUT sure the LOUD Stereos set up do contribute in the FC of the car mainly due to the added weight of the Subs and boxes and capacitors etc...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Sweet tips, I'l keep all of these in mind.
    The tire pressure is a new thing for me.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Fuel saving tips [merged threads]