New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Desperately afraid of being waylaid on the road in these dangerous times? Have a panic room constructed in your house -- and stay there for the rest of your natural life.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niker View Post
    Well. I just saw the news kasi the other day of this person who withdrew money from a paco bank and he was shot in the car before his stuff taken. He happens to be a friend of a friend. He is just 30 years ago and the money withdrawn would be used in his junk shop daw where he pays the junk collectors. The amount he withdrew may be big. But what if the robbers get bolder and would do the same to you for your 50 thousand withdrawal or even for your new ipod? That's why I think a bulletproof car may be a great investment... but the costs seem to be too much considering you also need fast engine. So I think a vest would be better idea where you could use it to deflect bullets in case a one in a 10 million event like it happens. Now I wonder what is the best bulletproof vest available in the philippines that can stop at least a 0.45 calibre gun? I seek a handle where I could hold it from the inside so the vest would be fully used as a shield during times when you are bringing home valuable stuff like diamond ring, etc. or even against carjackers who would first shoot you before acquiring your vehicle.
    Bro, its called .45 caliber, not 0.45

Good news for you, most handgun and shotgun rounds will be stopped by the door. The chance of a pistol bullet penetrating metal sheet of a car is small. If the bad guy uses a rifle, well you need the engine block to stop it. Windshields are also tough to shoot through. Door glass is not as durable. I learned this info from reading an article in a gun magazine where they tested the penetration of handguns, shotgun and rifle bullets against a car.

You can make the rear of your car more bullet resistant by loading a big subwoofer box and amps. If they shoot the back of your car you have a lot of stuff to block the bullet. Sheetmetal, amps, 2 layers of 3/4 inch mdf board, big magnets, car seats etc...

I dont know if its legal to own bulletproof vests in the Phils. Best ask a gun store or inquire with the FED. Here is a good read on BP vests

http://pinoyguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=814
    Last edited by userfriendly; May 19th, 2008 at 08:25 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Not being praning or paranoid. I just thought bullet proofing can be another feature of cars like the Honda Accord I tried the other day with the power seats adjustable by power buttons where instead of manualling moving it forward or up, you just press buttons like you do the windows. The Accord is powerful at 2.0L and I thought lightweight armored body can be moulded just like in Knight Rider or Transformers.

Perhaps this would occurs maybe 30-50 years from now where lightweight
    futuristic Adamantium like materials can make the manufacturers fabricate fully bulletproof cars with weight not far from the current civics (or is this situation totally impossible unless another physics breakthough occurs?). The downside though of this is that the robbers would use armored piercing guns to reach you so maybe this bullet proofing must not be public offering and needs to be taken on a case to case basis.

Presently, the way to avoid trigger happy folks is to avoid the situations in the first place that would bring them about as you guys suggested... that's right..... unless you are super rich (which I'm not) where you really need protection.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Don't use Honda cars to convert as a bulletproof vehicle; the metal is too thin.

Buy an S-Class w/ S-Guard.

S-Guard from Wiki

A special armored version of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class has been produced, known as the S-Guard. This model is specifically designed for high-risk security environments. Customers which may require such a vehicle include diplomats and celebrities. Special features of the latest model, produced in 2006, include the capability to withstand military-grade small arms fire and certain explosive devices, a self-sealing fuel tank, and a special alarm system.

The S-Guard is widely used at the diplomatic level to protect world leaders. Ninety governments worldwide are known to use the S-Guard for transport of government leaders and dignitaries.[19] Commercial buyers may opt for the High-Protection S-Guard, with the ability to withstand small arms fire; for those at risk of assassination and terrorist attacks, the Highest-Protection Guard model is designed to withstand military rifles and high-velocity ammunition. The S-Guard is built on a special production line at the S-Class facility in Sindelfingen, Germany, with specific S-Guard enhancements integrated at multiple stages throughout the production process.
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    dami pinagtatalunan ..
    eto kahit tornado di makatibag dito ..

this is the tornado intercept vehicle a.k.a TIV ..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Yeah. You guys have a point. Anyway. Has anyone heard of a portable manueverable handheld bullet proof shield. I mean.. a small say 1.5 feet by 1.5 feet square bullet proof shield where you can manually use it (by a handle at the side) to say shield you from any attacker at the side of the car or even front. For example. A motor cycle chases you at the side and about to shoot you. You use the shield to deflect the bullet and then run over him... something like that. This should be handy.. also when you encounter road rage folks like Roland Go who shot Maguan a decade ago...

You can make one, use 5mm stainless steel plate that you can buy from arranque market area. Dont buy retail, buy the whole plate 8feet x 5 feet
    and cut it yourself for your front and back plate(armored vest). Make yourself the shield that you desire, the rest sell for profit. Medyo mabigat ang shield. We actually did this for a client a long time ago (sometime 1998), makipag kaibigan ka sa mga machine shop and you will be surprised at what they are capable to do.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^^napanood ko iyan sa discovery ah
    Last edited by baludoy; May 20th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Yeah. You guys have a point. Anyway. Has anyone heard of a portable manueverable handheld bullet proof shield. I mean.. a small say 1.5 feet by 1.5 feet square bullet proof shield where you can manually use it (by a handle at the side) to say shield you from any attacker at the side of the car or even front. For example. A motor cycle chases you at the side and about to shoot you. You use the shield to deflect the bullet and then run over him... something like that. This should be handy.. also when you encounter road rage folks like Roland Go who shot Maguan a decade ago...

You can make one, use 5mm stainless steel plate that you can buy from arranque market area.We tested this with 9mm and .45 and no penetration, rifles will pass thru it like it was butter.
    Dont buy retail, buy the whole plate 8feet x 5 feet
    and cut it yourself for your front and back plate(armored vest). Make yourself the shield that you desire, the rest sell for profit. Medyo mabigat ang shield. We actually did this for a client a long time ago (sometime 1998), makipag kaibigan ka sa mga machine shop and you will be surprised at what they are capable to do.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In an age where trigger happy bank robbers stage holdup in
    the streets ambushing cars and over-excited checkpoint
    police shooting at cars that don't stop and road rage events
    where the cars you overtake or cut try to shoot you. It may be a
    good idea to bullet proof a car. Has anyone tried this? For
    example you have a honda civic a/t running at 8km/liter
    and you have it bullet proof (including all glasses and frames).
    What would be the corresponding fuel consumption after
    the bullet proof work?

Also what place offers the best bullet proofing service
    with no huge increase in fuel cost to maintain the
    weight?

Thanks.
    It depends on what level of bulletproofing you would want in a car. Example, lightweight armor like kevlar sheets in the doors, trunk, firewall and bullet resistant glass all around would be lighter than one fitted with steel & kevlar armor, etc.

Also small cars cannot be fitted with proper armor because the engine will not be able to move the car after its fitted.

A large SUV or sedan would be the choice. And in those vehicles, a typical fuel mileage of 1 or 2 km/L is not surprising.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Let's go visual. Here's a good example of what to expect from armoring a sedan.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Fuel consumption of bullet proofed civics, etc.