New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisKros View Post
    80km 1500pesos? For true hardcore environmentalists, they wouldn't care.
    for the hardcore environmentalists, they will care because it simply means to travel 80km, the vehicle will use more energy than a standard diesel fed engine. The vehicle might not itself emit exhaust fumes but it just means it will be emitted by the powerplant used to generate the power.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    at least someone started something.

It's easier to whine, criticize and do nothing.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    for the hardcore environmentalists, they will care because it simply means to travel 80km, the vehicle will use more energy than a standard diesel fed engine. The vehicle might not itself emit exhaust fumes but it just means it will be emitted by the powerplant used to generate the power.
    I think the term should be "bandwagon environmentalists". Those lot don't know (or care) that electric vehicles cause just as much (if not) more emissions somewhere else (all things remaining the same of course). "Hardcore" ecomentalists ride bicycles, have solar panels on their roofs, and use chest freezers with modified thermostats for refrigerators.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    hmm, I wonder what would the inventor choose to do with his technology once he perfected it as in produced acceptable results? commercialization? for all I know the public's unwilling to compromise on significantly decreased range, increased cost of ownership (although the cost will decrease when mass produced), and the lack of cargo and passenger space for the environment. Include the what would be negative reaction of oil companies and car companies. obviously the odds against him stack up even before the project could take flight. so let's give the guy a break and lend him support however we can.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    the problem is the "rubber band" tranny from a scooter is actually a CVT belt drive. Under the loading of a typical PUV, it wont last long.
    Oh, that's simple. One transmission per wheel...

This will be a bare-bones, mind you... a four or six seater on a plank inside a fiberglass shell.

Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    niky you read my mind!!!

meron akong design niyan, kuliglig engine with a two-wheel pulley "automatic transmission" (yung centrifugal gear shifting) from a go-kart.

i have a long rant about it over in the PHUV thread. I even quoted you liberally, matunog mga rants mo eh.
    But... back to this shell-car... I'll reply to it in the PHUV thread... sorry... hard to practicalize. I've had the same thought-experiment, even went as far as designing it... but then I hit the same brick-wall everyone hits... nobody wants three-wheelers. They're not as stable/safe as four-wheelers, and not as nimble as two. There's a long history of three-wheeler commuter cars that have gone absolutely nowhere, thanks, specially, to one car... the Mini. As originally conceived, and played out with the Fiat Uno, Kia Pride and the new Kia Picanto, the "mini-car" gives you all you need... extreme fuel efficiency, low price, and good seating, all in one cute package.

Agh.
    Last edited by niky; March 12th, 2007 at 06:12 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    This info might help.

Innovatronix www.innovatronix.com is selling a bicycle model that can run 20 kms on 1 charge. Top speed is 35km/hour and you spend P2.00 per charge or roughly 10 centavos per kilometer. Its a fun bike. I have 2 units and I use it in my resthouse. Bagay na bagay siya for short trips and when we do father and son bonding. Its also dual powered and you can pedal the bike or use the 250W electric motor with a 3 speed gear. Ang sarap niya gamitin.

here is the link:
    http://www.innovatronix.com/prodphil.asp

and a picture

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    I think the term should be "bandwagon environmentalists". Those lot don't know (or care) that electric vehicles cause just as much (if not) more emissions somewhere else (all things remaining the same of course). "Hardcore" ecomentalists ride bicycles, have solar panels on their roofs, and use chest freezers with modified thermostats for refrigerators.
    Hit it right on the head!

But one has to consider that a powerplant can almost always generate electricity more efficiently than several thousand engines all working at the same time. Throw in a "cleaner" form of power like wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, or even nuclear, and power plant energy becomes much cleaner to use.

Of course, one needs good technology on the vehicle end, and the energy inefficiency of this model is abysmal. I applaud their efforts however, and I'm sure they won't be far behind the likes of Taylor-Dunn and Ford TH!NK.

P.S. I'm sure everyone's seen this a million times. But for those of you that haven't:

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *niky,

You got PM. Thanks.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    ewan ko ba parang tingin ko sa electric vehicle eh parang circuit board, konting static charge lang eh nde na tatakbo at ititirik ka sa highway

10. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    The Philippines has a lot of potential developing such alternative-fuel vehicles.
    > We have a vast variety of agricultural products - which means we should be able to easily tap biofuels.
    > A significant percentage of our exports are electronics - which should allow us to develop our own systems like energy management systems and probably even the solar panels for vehicles.
    > We have experts on automotive lightweight materials, e.g. fiberglass, like A-TOY and Starbright which can be used as an alternative material for the vehicle's body, or parts of it.
    > Some chassis, suspension, engine and transmission system parts, I believe, are already produced locally so this should not limit us from developing our own systems.
    > We have good universities who specialize in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, electronics, computer systems and robotics - all of which can spearhead the development. Surely, once the private sector sees potential in the universities, the entire research process can even be funded by both local and multinational corporations.

What really lacks is the support provided by the government to get all these acts together.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Electric vehicle goes on trial run in Cavite ecozone