New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    So now its LPG vs E85. Ano kaya pipiliin ng tao? Let the games begin!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    looks like there is indeed no free lunch,

nakamura ka nga sa presyo ng e85, but less efficient naman ang engine mo - you end up consuming more of the stuff....not to mention gastos ka pa sa conversion. ive read that it costs 40k for larger engines, 30k for smaller ones.

(o.t.) same thing with lpg, mas mura nga, medyo lalakas din consumption mo (i asked around sa taxi drivers), plus may conversions costs ka pa....

in some parts of batangas, bumalik na sila sa kabayo.....haaaay.

3. Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nameless411 View Post
    looks like there is indeed no free lunch,

nakamura ka nga sa presyo ng e85, but less efficient naman ang engine mo - you end up consuming more of the stuff....not to mention gastos ka pa sa conversion. ive read that it costs 40k for larger engines, 30k for smaller ones.

(o.t.) same thing with lpg, mas mura nga, medyo lalakas din consumption mo (i asked around sa taxi drivers), plus may conversions costs ka pa....

in some parts of batangas, bumalik na sila sa kabayo.....haaaay.

we can go to the mall park our ride in a stable or corral. FC (feed consumption) 1 bale of hay / 1 day of work. maybe a carabao is better. i can get milk, turn it into cheese or ice cream and recoup or profit from it. city floods not a problem, it can swim.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nameless411 View Post
    Consumption increase depends on the state of tune of your engine and LPG system. For carb based engines, expect a decrease of 10% in fuel mileage. SGI kits, expect around 0% to 5% decrease in fuel mileage.

SeaOil Pasig Blvd (Bagong Ilog) now has an E85 pump operational. 39.xx/liter nga siya. They also gave away a Motor Shops calling card, which does E85 conversion ('J' Brothers Motor Service in Pasig).

E85 is 30% cheaper, and conversion costs are not verified still.

My existing LPG system cost me 25k to convert (EROOM closed loop kit), and it's already paid back about 30% of the costs (4th month of LPG usage). LPG is about 45% cheaper. Engine performance is now the same as petrol (finally! spent several months tweaking, so savings were not at a maximum). Happy LPG user here.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer2005 View Post
    E85 is the clear loser here as of the moment. for one thing E85 is more expensive than LPG. another, E85 is an untested technology at least with Filipino motorists.

but one thing that makes E85 shine above the rest, it's a renewable energy source. you just grow it from farms unlike LPG which is still a byproduct of refined oil.

those people in the provinces who own vast lands of sugarcane and corn plantation can really make a lot of money if they decide to become domestic suppliers of E85. as long as the sun shines, there will always be an opportunity to produce E85.

if Filipinos manage to become a major producer of E85, that will certainly lessen the price of E85 (perhaps even lower than LPG) at least domestically.

no more OPEC dictations, no more price controls/deregulation law, no more under recoveries.
    Good point, and this is one of the benefits I was also contemplating on. I would also think E85 has much cleaner emissions, similar to LPG.

I am impressed at how SeaOil is embracing alternative fuels. They're very agressive in being at the forefront, despite clear risks of lower sales. I don't think there's much E85 cars out there, so there's a great risk of stale fuel in their reserve.

I'm waiting for the day when someone will start the E85 Conversion Thread.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Saw this at the selling thread

14k conversion: http://tsikot.yehey.com/classifieds/...t/45892/cat/46

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    at least sa e85, di pala kasing kamahal ang conversion (as compared to lpg), also much lesser additional accessories because it'll be using the same fuel tank as petrol (which is good for hatchback car owners).

the only question that remains are :

how is actual power?
    by how much % will your fc increase?

i hope there are already tsikoteers who have tried this conversion para we can have first hand info....

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    at least sa e85, di pala kasing kamahal ang conversion (as compared to lpg), also much lesser additional accessories because it'll be using the same fuel tank as petrol (which is good for hatchback car owners).

the only question that remains are :

how is actual power?
    by how much % will your fc increase?

i hope there are already tsikoteers who have tried this conversion para we can have first hand info....

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To Run on E85 Ethanol Fuel
    http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm

Gas Mileage of Flex Fueled Vehicles for 2008:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/FFV2008.shtml

E85 Vs. Gasoline Comparison Test
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/altern...3/article.html

If E85 gasoline costs P39/L but it causes your vehicle to lose 30% fuel mileage, then it would be like paying P50/L gasoline. On top of that, you still need to install a fuel injection system adapter (adds 30% more fuel per injector cycle) which costs P24,000.

There are savings in using E85 gasoline but it's not as big as some people might want to make you believe.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 3rd, 2008 at 09:41 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
E85 gasoline