New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Now that most gasolines whether Premium or Unleaded contains 10% bioethanol, do they really expire after 90 days?

My dilemma is I just bought gasoline full tank but since I'll seldom use it, I don't think I will be able to consume it in 3 months.

My perception is shouldn't all the major gasoline companies already place additives to prolong shelf life of the gasoline with E10 contents?

Or are the articles on the internet saying E10 expires in 90 days fake?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by yagami_kira View Post
    Now that most gasolines whether Premium or Unleaded contains 10% bioethanol, do they really expire after 90 days?

My dilemma is I just bought gasoline full tank but since I'll seldom use it, I don't think I will be able to consume it in 3 months.

My perception is shouldn't all the major gasoline companies already place additives to prolong shelf life of the gasoline with E10 contents?

Or are the articles on the internet saying E10 expires in 90 days fake?

You can have your doubts BUT in my personal experience, my engine starts to run rough with E10 gasoline in my tank in six weeks. By the 8th week, my car is experiencing severe power loss and and engine that barely can idle.

Why do I know this? My car runs on Auto-LPG, so my tank of gasoline takes a long time to be consumed since I only use gasoline once every week or two (sometimes even less).

To avoid this problem, I look for gasolines without ethanol. Currently Petron Blaze and Total Protec are gasolines I use in my car. So far, with these brands of gasolines, I have gone FOUR MONTHS and my engine still runs smooth.

-------------------------------

By the way, if you are looking someone to blame for all this expiring gasoline crap, look for the politics who passed the clean air act years ago that forced nearly all gasolines to have (expensive) ethanol blended.

Why expensive ethanol? For one, we still import our ethanol supply from abroad. The original concept was energy independence by having locally produced fuels. Another, E10 gasoline does not go as far as regular gasoline (without ethanol blended).

So with E10 gasolines:
    -expires in six weeks or so (for my experience).
    -makes your car consume more fuel for the same distance traveled as compared to regular gasoline.
    -most of ethanol used to make E10 gasoline is imported.

E10 gasoline in the Philippines = FAIL!
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 29th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Normal gasoline already "goes bad" on it's own. Leave fuel in your tank long enough and it'll eventually degrade.

E10 is just that little bit worse, as alcohol tends to evaporate easier than gasoline, so E10 gasoline tha relies on ethanol as an octane booster will see more degradation in performance over time. And as ethanol is hygroscopic, it pulls in water into the gasoline, as well, over time.

The car will still run after six months on the same tank, but trust me (from experience) it won't be very happy. Some newer cars can cope, but better to use a higher octane than recommended if you plan on parking the car for a long time.

E10 gasolines 90 days expiry - a misconception?