New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Does a non-moving A/T car consume more fuel if the shifter is in D or N ??

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • consumes more fuel in D

44 67.69%
  • consumes more fuel in N

0 0%
  • I don't know.

17 26.15%
  • I would like a faux sunroof for my car.

4 6.15%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Linalagay ko lang sa N kapag matindi talaga ang trapik. Kapag moving tulad ng sa EDSA ay D ako palagi. Preno-preno lang. Hindi ko naman namamalayan kung ano ang mas malakas sa gasolina. Ang importante ay komportable ako magmaneho.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I'm no expert so do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the same given that your idling would be the same whether in N or D (while stationary of course).

OT: I wouldn't reccomend putting it in P while traffic. If someone bumps you it might ruin your transmission. Put it in N + parking brake

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    IMHO better to shift AT to N during long stops, take consideration sa AirCon mo it takes load from engine tapos dadag dagan mo pa ng load sa pag pigil sa engine pag stop at D. Possibly same ang RPM mo kasi automatic na nag aadjust ito.

Extra Question:
    for Automatic Transmissions,
    ok lang ba na during cruising tapos nakita mo ahead nag red ang stop light e mag slow down ka (level road, not down hill) by shifting to N + brake hangang sa makarating ka sa stop light for full stop? is this good or bad sa tranny? lets say cruising at 150kph you deaccelerate at N for about 200 - 300 meters? then if ever the light turns green before reaching the lights i rev up the engine to 2,500 then shift to D.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    ^bakit nag N ka pa? para saan yun?? does that save you gas by doing that?? i just stay in D then half break.. then kung biglang nag green.. eh di diretso lang.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    ^bakit nag N ka pa? para saan yun?? does that save you gas by doing that?? i just stay in D then half break.. then kung biglang nag green.. eh di diretso lang.
    Intention: para makatipid sa gas.
    deaccelerating at D my RPM is around 4,500, shifting to N, drops to 1,000 all the way for about 200 to 300. I dunno if this is healthy, i need enlightenment

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    got my answer in this forum http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...?t=9482&page=6 sorry off topic na ko...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Guys pano kaya sa mazda3?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Really good points from some of you. It's really best to shift to N if on a full stop and anticipating the green after a few minutes. It's safer, and as for fuel consumption, logically it's less in N. When in D and you're stepping on the brake, the car is raring to move and a force is stopping it from doing so. These act against each other and will certainly require some energy, which is gasoline.

However, it's not recommended to shift to N and let the car roll freely before stopping at the red light. Yes, it does save some fuel, but generally less safe as well. There's nothing but the brakes that will stop the car. If you stay in D, there's still some engine braking assisting in stopping. There's also a topic somewhere here discussing the fact that N in automatics is not exactly the same as N in manuals when it comes to rolling.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    There's also a topic somewhere here discussing the fact that N in automatics is not exactly the same as N in manuals when it comes to rolling.
    Hello sir squala, I would appreciate it very much if you can provide the link that discusses this, kung makita mo lang uli. Presently, I am of belief that they are the same so that I sometimes coast on N in my a/t vehicles with the thought that it may save me some fuel. Thanks.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by corbon44 View Post
    errr...just to add to the options - does anyone shoft to "park" (P) while in traffic and the engine is running? what happens here and what implications does this have to the drivetrain?
    That's what I do if the traffic doesn't move for a long time. Sometimes, I'll even turn off the ignition.

I've replaced brakepads (2 at a time) on our 1995 Ford Contour every ~4-5 years. But, I haven't had repairs or replacements yet for the A/T tranny since I bought the thing in 1994. it's been mostly ATF replacement. I've also driven the car aggressively for much of its lifetime. So, it's durability is quite surprising (for a Ford tranny).

Compare that to replacing the clutch every ~5 years for a Nissan Pulsar and Plymouth Laser. Brakepad replacement was about the same interval.

The 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan did have major A/T tranny repairs in 2004 and ended up with a replacement tranny. But, I think it was mostly due to extended long-distance driving rather than stop and go traffic. Our extended warranty covered it. So we didn't have to spend a single cent.

Add: As for N.... It's only use in my book is when the car's being towed.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 3rd, 2007 at 10:47 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Does non-moving A/T car consume more fuel if...