New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Does a non-moving A/T car consume more fuel if the shifter is in D or N ??

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • consumes more fuel in D

44 67.69%
  • consumes more fuel in N

0 0%
  • I don't know.

17 26.15%
  • I would like a faux sunroof for my car.

4 6.15%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    so....ano ang tamang sagot? i even checked google but it had no answers for me...
    yes it does wastes fuel at the rate of some 33 centavos per minute on my car ... it doesn't seem much but it could accumulate rapidly in metromanila traffic

as for the brake wear ... sorry, i'm not convinced ... yes, brake pads wear out sooner on A/T's but it has nothing to do with the habit of applying brake on a stationary car, with D, while waiting for green light
    Last edited by kinyo; September 23rd, 2007 at 01:30 AM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I used to keep my foot on the brakes because I believed that it would consume less fuel and save wear and tear on the auto-tranny. But lately, due to the ridiculous traffic jams I have to go through every morning and every night, my right leg gets sore quickly from keeping my foot jammed on the brakes. Buti sana kung stop and go eh.. pero ang nangyayari Stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop-go-stooooooooooooop.

The past few weeks, I've changed my habits to shifting to N whenever I stop. I didn't notice any change in my fuel consumption rate. But my right leg sure feels a lot better.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    never leave on "D" mode for a long period of time for safety reason

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    errr...just to add to the options - does anyone shoft to "park" (P) while in traffic and the engine is running? what happens here and what implications does this have to the drivetrain?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I think a non-moving a/t vehicle on D with brakes applied on consumes more fuel because there is stress on the engine. This may be negligle though. It had been my habit to place the transmission on N whenever I am in a full stop and anticipate to be so for at least 30 seconds, like in a stop light or in a traffic jam.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by corbon44 View Post
    errr...just to add to the options - does anyone shoft to "park" (P) while in traffic and the engine is running? what happens here and what implications does this have to the drivetrain?
    Dude, pag nabangga ka kahit mahina lang, bye bye tranny/drivetrain. Please read earlier posts.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    what i do talaga is if nakita ko sa malayo na red na, i shift to N agad. hanggang sa maka abot sa dulo. saves fuel. then if stop na talaga, N talaga ako nyan.

common sense lang, Pag D ka na strestress ang engine kasi naka engage tapos naka brake kapa. its my habit na naka N parati pag stop. pag uphill, ibang usapan na yan, leave it to D or if mag N ka make sure naka brake ka rin. and if mag start na mag move, shift it to D first before releasing the brakes

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    guys....additional info lang po from www.wikihow.com.

It is not necessary to put the car into Park or Neutral every time you stop. However, if you are stopping for a considerable amount of time, you may want to put the transmission into Neutral (N) or Park (P). Neutral allows you to shift back into Drive quicker, but you may need to keep your foot on the brake, depending on the condition of the road. Park will usually allow you to take the foot off the brake. Either one will allow the engine to idle at a more fuel-efficient rpm, and put less strain on the brakes and the drivetrain. However, repeatedly shifting in and out of Neutral and/or Park will strain the transmission.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ruelsdcz View Post

Park will usually allow you to take the foot off the brake.
    One lesson that I learned from the past threads here:
    Never ever use the P position as a brake.
    That's what handbrakes are for...
    Last edited by umzzzzz; October 17th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    I used to keep my foot on the brakes because I believed that it would consume less fuel and save wear and tear on the auto-tranny. But lately, due to the ridiculous traffic jams I have to go through every morning and every night, my right leg gets sore quickly from keeping my foot jammed on the brakes. Buti sana kung stop and go eh.. pero ang nangyayari [SIZE="4"]Stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop-go-stooooooooooooop. [/SIZE]

The past few weeks, I've changed my habits to shifting to N whenever I stop. I didn't notice any change in my fuel consumption rate. But my right leg sure feels a lot better.
    natawa naman ako dito nice way of describing it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Does non-moving A/T car consume more fuel if...