New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Here's the science.
    http://whyfiles.org/2009/does-a-dark...t-colored-car/

The external color does not significantly affect how much the inside of a car heats up in the sun, says Sanford Klein, director of the UW-Madison Solar Energy Laboratory and professor of mechanical engineering.

Cars warm up in the sun due to the greenhouse effect: Sunlight passing through the windows into the car is mostly absorbed by interior surfaces, then radiated back to the air as heat. That heat does not pass back through the glass, which is an effective insulator for radiation, and the inside temperature can rise above the outside temperature.

“The visible radiation that we see is transparent to the glass but thermal radiation is not and gets trapped by the glass,” Klein says. “As a consequence, the inside of the car will warm because radiation is coming in but not much is going back out.”

The interior color may make a small difference in internal temperature, he says, because darker internal surfaces will absorb slightly more solar energy than light ones do.

Tinted glass will have an even more pronounced effect, he says, by reducing how much solar radiation enters the vehicle in the first place.

So, if you want to keep your car cool from greenhouse effects, the design challenge is to minimize the direct surface area exposure of window and windscreen glass.
    Last edited by dprox; November 7th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Red ones go faster!

Maybe there are some colors that potentially attract the more aggresive (hence less economical) drivers?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    watch mode and UP on this thread...

for me, car color does not really affect fuel consumption... fuel tank are installed merely at the bottom of our car and if A/C is a factor, yes more A/C means engine needs more fuel consumption... then apply a tint in your car to lessen the heatness temp inside your car, for me car color has nothing to do with this.... but am up for more learning unto this... i may be corrected, please... thank you...

coz i see no difference with the two - I got a Blue Nissan Sentra and a Silver Toyota Innova... what I just notice that Innova easily cool's up compared to Sentra as the Innova is wider (van type) so it easily cools down as heat is not entrapped in a small surface area...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    For me color does not affect fuel consumption .what i heard its better to gas up your tank during the evening rather than daytime maybe due to to much heat gas evaporates fast.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    For me color does not affect fuel consumption .what i heard its better to gas up your tank during the evening rather than daytime maybe due to to much heat gas evaporates fast.
    same as what I overheard to some folks that it BEST to refuel during evening or early morning since it has less evaporation of gasoline, but one thing here is that since there is no evaporization, vaporization may also take place, that may form into liquid form as there is an allowed space in the matter of our gas tank that could form waterry-form like - anyway our fuel filter is there to filter water from our gas tank...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Does car color affect fuel consumption?