New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    raikonen, AFAIK, ang 95RON nyo jan eh 91 lang dito sa US.

The US/Canada uses a different Octane rating system at the
    gas pumps than most other countries.

They use the U.S. Cost of Living Council (CLC) index
    which is the average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and
    the Motor Octane Number (MON):

CLC = (RON + MON) / 2

RON = Research Octane number (ROZ in Germany)
    MON = Motor Octane Number
    CLC = U.S. Cost of Living Council

This translates to (roughly):

91 RON = 87 CLC (Regular)
    95 RON = 91 CLC (Premium)
    http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/vw/Engine/Octane_Ratings

:bwahaha:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Honda recommends 95 RON for the CR-V but says that 93 RON or 91 RON are acceptable if no knocking results.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    ah ganun ba? hehehe my mistake... thanks for the heads up karding..

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    The manual of my Innova recommends not less than 91 RON, so I'm using 93 para na rin makatipid. On my next fill up I will try the 95 to compare on the performance.

I opened a thread about Gasoline Octanes seeking clarifications on RON & MON

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20527

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Sakin I Always Use 95 Sa Total Cause They Give 1.20 Less Sa Price Ng Gasoling And Its 95. Imagine For The Price Of 93 You Get A 95 Ron. I Even Use That For My Accord And Bimmer So Far Ok Naman. My 500 Is Almost 100kms For Both Car. Matipid B Yun O Magastos???

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Nice read from http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...ine_bible.html

[SIZE="5"]Octane ratings - how to stop detonation[/SIZE]

So you know that a fuel-air mix, given the right conditions, can spontaneously combust. In order to control this property, all petrols have chemicals mixed in with them to control how quickly the fuel burns. This is known as the octane rating of the fuel. The higher the rating, the slower and more controlled the fuel burns.

Put on the geek-shades for a moment and I'll explain octane in more depth. If you don't like being blinded by science, skip down a few paragraphs. For the rest of you, octane is measured relative to a mixture of isooctane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane, an isomer of octane) and n-heptane. An 87-octane gasoline has the same knock resistance as a mixture of 87% isooctane and 13% n-heptane. The octane value of a fuel used to be controlled by the amount of tetraethyl lead in it, but in the 70s and 80s when it became apparent that lead was pretty harmful, lead-free petrol appeared and other substances were introduced to control octane instead.

[SIZE="5"]
    Measuring octane - RON, MON and the difference between America and the rest of the world.[/SIZE]

Just so you know, the octane number is actually an imprecise measure of the maximum compression ratio at which a particular fuel can be burned in an engine without detonation. There are actually two numbers - RON (Research octane number) and MON (Motor Octane Number). The RON simulates fuel performance under low severity engine operation. The MON simulates more severe operation that might be incurred at high speed or high load and can be as much as 10 points lower than the RON. In Europe, what you'll see on the petrol pumps is the RON. However, in America, what you'll see on the petrol pump is usually the "mean" octane number - notified as (R+M)/2 - the average of both the RON and MON. This is why there is an apparent discrepancy between the octane values of petrol in America versus the rest of the world. Euro95 unleaded in Europe is 95 octane but it's the equivalent of American (R+M)/2 89 octane.

In America, low altitude petrol stations typically sell three grades of petrol with octane ratings of 87, 89 and 91. High altitude stations typically also sell three grades, but with lower values - 85, 87 and 89.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hmm...

Natry ko ito before, at halos pareho lang ang konsumong nakuha ko, pero mas maganda ang tunog ng makina kapag Velocity vs. Unleaded.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    More..

[SIZE="5"]Octane and power[/SIZE]

It's a common misconception amongst car enthusiasts that higher octane = more power. This is simply not true. The myth arose because of sportier vehicles requiring higher octane fuels. Without understanding why, a certain section of the car subculture decided that this was because higher octane petrol meant higher power.

The reality of the situation is a little different. Power is limited by the maximum amount of fuel-air mixture that can be jammed into the combustion chamber. Because high performance engines operate with high compression ratios they are more likely to suffer from detonation and so to compensate, they need a higher octane fuel to control the burn. So yes, sports cars do need high octane fuel, but it's not because the octane rating is somehow giving more power. It's because it's required because the engine develops more power because of its design.

There is a direct correlation between the compression ratio of an engine and its fuel octane requirements. The following table is a rough guide to octane values per engine compression ratio for a carburettor engine without engine management. For modern fuel-injected cars with advanced engine management systems, these values are lowered by about 5 to 7 points.

Compression ratio Octane
    5:1 . . . . . . . . . . 72
    6:1 . . . . . . . . . . 81
    7:1 . . . . . . . . . . 87
    8:1 . . . . . . . . . . 92
    9:1 . . . . . . . . . . 96
    10:1 . . . . . . . . . . 100
    11:1 . . . . . . . . . . 104
    12:1 . . . . . . . . . . 108

[SIZE="5"]Octane and gas mileage[/SIZE]

Here's a good question : can octane affect gas mileage. The short answer is absolutely, yes it can, but not for the reasons you might think. The octane value of a fuel itself has nothing to do with how much potential energy the fuel has, or how cleanly or efficiently it burns. All it does is control the burn. However, if you're running with a petrol that isn't the octane rating recommended for your car, you could lose gas mileage. Why? Lets say your manufacturers handbook recommends that you run 87 octane fuel in your car but you fill it with 85 instead, trying to save some money on filling up. Your car will still work just fine because the engine management system will be detecting knock and retarding the ignition timing to compensate. And that's the key. By changing the ignition timing, you could be losing efficiency in the engine, which could translate into worse gas mileage. Again as a practical example, my little tale above about our trip to Vegas on low octane gas. (Whether you want to believe some bloke on the internet or not is up to you). On the low octane gas on the trip down, we could barely get 23.5mpg out of the Subaru. Once I was able to fill it up again with premium at the recommended octane rating, we got 27.9mpg on the way back. A difference of 4.4mpg over 450 miles of driving.

Doing the maths, you can figure out that by skimping on the price during fill-up, you may save a little money right there and then, but it costs in the long term because you're going to be filling up more often to do the same mileage. My advice? Do what the handbook tells you. After all it's in the manufacturers better interests that you get the most performance out of your car as you can - they don't want you badmouthing them, and in this day and age of instant internet gratification, you can bad-mouth a large company very quickly and get a lot of publicity.

As of my own experience, there is little to no improvement at all. Minsan nga masmalakas pa sa konsumo eh. I'm using UNIOIL's unleaded 93 ROn and Quantum 95 RON. Ang malaking diperensya, masmahal ng piso ung QUANTUM. Masmahal ang binabayaran.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    given the gas prices... adding acetone to gasoline to extend fuel milage is a must for me these days.
    Gasoline-acetone mix? what is the ratio? and the effects to my engine/fuel injector? Please explain further. We all need to look for alternatives since this oil price hike is expected to continue until the 2nd qtr of '08.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by executor View Post
    Gasoline-acetone mix? what is the ratio? and the effects to my engine/fuel injector? Please explain further. We all need to look for alternatives since this oil price hike is expected to continue until the 2nd qtr of '08.
    It doesn't work.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Do you get more Kilometer on a high Octane Gasoline?