New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Mods, pakilipat na lang if i'm in the wrong forum...

Anyone heard of DME(dimethyl ether)? i read an article in today's Business Mirror; some Korean company is planning to put up a plant that will make DME fuel...based on what i've read, if gas engines have LPG, diesel engines can use DME. "Fully compatible" daw with ordinary diesel engines, and has (dunno if the terminology is correct) higher power density than diesel

It's definitely not a green fuel; it involves reacting carbon monoxide with hydrogen, etc. then mixed with LPG. But with way less emissions than diesel.

Sabi dun sa article, the company will do some tests, and if for some reason di nagclick as fuel for cars, they will sell it as cooking gas...but doesn't LPG already do the job? Or baka nga dahil dun sa power density thing, mas tipid.

i'm inexplicably excited about this...sana magclick nga...tired of getting a face full of soot every time i go to the office.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sounds promising...

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/09/22...r-partnership/

Dimethyl ether (DME) is one of those fuels that is not well known to the general public but is should be, if for no other reason than it promises up to 95 percent carbon neutrality. According to Wikipedia and my Chemistry 101 book, it's a clean-burning gas that can be sourced from renewable materials. In the case of a project leaded by Volvo, the source is something called "black liquor," an energy-rich, highly viscous by-product of the paper pulp industry. The Volvo project uses 14 Volvo FH trucks that will be tested by selected customers at four locations in different parts of Sweden between 2010 and 2012 at four oil company Preem stations. Four tons of bio-DME per day will be made at the Smurfit Kappa Kraftliner pulp plant. DME takes the liquid form at just 5 bar pressure, so it can be used in place of LPG. Potential uses of bio-sourced DME include mixing it with LPG itself to create "bio-LPG."

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_ether

Fuel

DME is a promising fuel in diesel engines, petrol engines (30% DME / 70% LPG), and gas turbines owing to its high cetane number, which is greater than 55 compared to diesel, which is 40–53. Only moderate modification are needed to convert a diesel engine to burn DME.
    So that means a gasoline engine will need modification to it's LPG system to use DME as fuel.

It was also mentioned that DME can be mixed with LPG to create bio-LPG. I wonder if that is that was referred to in the wikipedia entry of using it in cars?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Mga Bro talagang maapreciate ko ang tulong nyo kung masasabi nyo sakin kung san makakabili ng Dimethyl Ether (DME) in small amount lang. Kelangan na kelangan ko lang talaga. Please baka meron kayong alam na source. Kindly email me at xxkennethxx*yahoo.com
    Maraming maraming salamat sa inyong tulong...

DME(dimethyl ether)+LPG for diesel engines