New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 108
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #71
    Quote Originally Posted by chuaed View Post
    pwede rin mag install ng air-fuel ratio meter...

    Air
    True. But if your car does not have a factory installed oxygen sensor, it is going to get expensive. You will need to buy a air/fuel ratio meter with oxygen sensor and find a place to have the oxygen sensor installed properly and another place to install the meter and wire it up. (yup I have done that already). If your car does have a factory installed oxygen sensor, if its a single wire type, readings from it may be inaccurate if it is in the wind path of the radiator fans.

    After all that, the A/F meter is only good for telling you if your engine is running properly or to help you tune your engine on the go. It will not tell you if your driving habits result in good, average or poor fuel economy.

  2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,401
    #72
    question, we have a honda city AT with FC reading for the last 10 seconds, i use that to learn how to step on the gas. now we have a new vios AT but has no FC reading. I got 2 question.

    1. The vios is only 2 days old, would installing this to the intake manifold void the warranty?

    2. What I learn (how to step on the gas) from our honda with FC reading can be applied to vios and will result on better fc? Or different car = different behavior?

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #73
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    question, we have a honda city AT with FC reading for the last 10 seconds, i use that to learn how to step on the gas. now we have a new vios AT but has no FC reading. I got 2 question.

    1. The vios is only 2 days old, would installing this to the intake manifold void the warranty?

    2. What I learn (how to step on the gas) from our honda with FC reading can be applied to vios and will result on better fc? Or different car = different behavior?

    Knowing Toyota, if they find your modification, they can void the warranty but generally they will hardly notice an extra vacuum tube tapped into the engine's intake manifold. Just try to find an unused port on the intake manifold before resorting to using a "T" fitting to tap into an existing vacuum line.

    Example is my ASX. It was only a month old and I had a UNICHIP installed. No one from Mitsu really notices it.

    BUT if something does go wrong with your engine (something very remote from happening with a new car), best to disconnect and hide the vacuum tube (to the gauge) before having the engine checked.

    As for learning how to step on the gas based on the vacuum gauge vs the fuel economy meter, it should be the same. In fact, the vacuum gauge would give you a faster feedback.

  4. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    36
    #74
    Have anyone heard about K&Nís replacement air filters? A friend of mine told me there's a lot of good feed back regarding this filters as they increase your HP & FC.

    Here's the image;


    K&N 33-2392 Drop in Filter

    OK kaya tu?
    Last edited by neyzon; May 6th, 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammar

  5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #75
    Quote Originally Posted by neyzon View Post
    Have anyone heard about K&N’s replacement air filters? A friend of mine told me there's a lot of good feed back regarding this filters as they increase your HP & FC.

    Here's the image;


    K&N 33-2392 Drop in Filter

    OK kaya tu?

    K&N filters are ok but the gains would be small and will hardly be noticed based on "feel".

  6. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    36
    #76
    I got a noob question. Is there a way to determine if my fuel gauge is not working properly? Sorry new on cars. I got my 1st car few months ago Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan 1997 Model 1.3 engine Carb type. I just noticed recently my gauge seems to fall down quickly to the red line & I just normally used it from home to office w/c is about 28KM back & forth. At 1st I thought it was my driving habits but I been following fuel economy tips but its doing the same. What's weird is I noticed that I can still reach up to 60+ Km at the red line w/out refueling. As far as I know when you reach the red line you have roughly 2-3 liters pa sa tank so I thought I shouldn't be able to last up to 60Km w/ just 3 liters. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by neyzon; May 8th, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: grammar

  7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #77
    Quote Originally Posted by neyzon View Post
    I got a noob question. Is there a way to determine if my fuel gauge is not working properly? Sorry new on cars. I got my 1st car few months ago Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan 1997 Model 1.3 engine Carb type. I just noticed recently my gauge seems to fall down quickly to the red line & I just normally used it from home to office w/c is about 28KM back & forth. At 1st I thought it was my driving habits but I been following fuel economy tips but its doing the same. What's weird is I noticed that I can still reach up to 60+ Km at the red line w/out refueling. As far as I know when you reach the red line you have roughly 2-3 liters pa sa tank so I thought I shouldn't be able to last up to 60Km w/ just 3 liters. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
    Our cars have a "reserve" fuel amount even after the fuel gauge reads empty. So depending how you drive, you can go 20 km or further on the reserve amount.

    As for the fuel guage itself, the quickest way is to ask your friendly mechanic to pull out the fuel float from your gas tank and check if the position of the float corresponds to the indication on the fuel meter. At the same time, you can check the condition of the float's resistor. If it looks corroded, it might be better to have it replaced.

    BTW, in some cars, the fuel guage drops to "E" quickly when it gets below a certain point because of the shape of the fuel tank may not be the same from top to bottom. The tank might be smaller/narrower at the bottom.

  8. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    36
    #78
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Our cars have a "reserve" fuel amount even after the fuel gauge reads empty. So depending how you drive, you can go 20 km or further on the reserve amount.

    As for the fuel guage itself, the quickest way is to ask your friendly mechanic to pull out the fuel float from your gas tank and check if the position of the float corresponds to the indication on the fuel meter. At the same time, you can check the condition of the float's resistor. If it looks corroded, it might be better to have it replaced.

    BTW, in some cars, the fuel guage drops to "E" quickly when it gets below a certain point because of the shape of the fuel tank may not be the same from top to bottom. The tank might be smaller/narrower at the bottom.
    Thanks a lot! I'll take a note of that. I'm really having difficulty determining my car's fc.

  9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #79
    Quote Originally Posted by neyzon View Post
    Thanks a lot! I'll take a note of that. I'm really having difficulty determining my car's fc.
    The best way to determine any car's FC is from full tank to full tank and noting from your odometer or tripmeter how far you drove until you filled up the 2nd time. Then divide the kilometers by the number of liters of fuel.

    The fuel gauge is not that accurate.

  10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    #80
    how about on vacuum governed (injection pump) diesels? toyota 3B for example.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
DIY: Fuel Economy Gauge for your car (to lower your car's fuel consumption)