New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Why don't they bring in both then? Euro II and Euro IV. Para may choice tayo. Sa gasoline nga may premium and regular. Is the perceived market for Euro IV diesel small?

The fuel contamination problem really blows. I hope DOE/DTI can do something about it.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Well they could start with a law that mandates all fuel dispensing pumps to have 1-3microns filter and a water separator before it will be put into our tank. Plus the mandatory cleaning of underground tank with inspection certificates. I knew all fuels dispense straight from refinery is really clean its just the series of handling that contaminates it.

A Euro II fuel is enough to make CRDI engine happy..it's only the Particulate Filter that was directly being affected by it. Bottom line even if you have a Euro 4 or 5 cars fed with Euro II fuel, it will still emits particulates due to the inefficiency of the Particulate filter. PF catalyst hates sulfur. Also i concur that it's not sulfur that's particularly harmful to crdi's fuel system it is the Fuel contaminants.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Wait. So if sulfur emissions mean nothing to engine issues, then why can't we just bring in all kinds of diesel cars?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    The statement I made that Sulfur doesn't really have effect on crdi's injectors are somewhat generalized..It does have an effect. But to a low sulfur diesel which is classified as Euro II max. 500ppm the effect on injectors is nil compared to the damages done by fuel contaminants to the injectors. Injectors lifespan is determined mostly by fuels Corrosiveness, Cleanliness and Fuel Lubricity. Based on those 3, Water which is always present in diesel fuel due to series of handling are a common denominator. Water is very corrosive specially if it will be in highpressure application. Water + sulfur on fuel is corrosive; water in fuel will form emulsion and is errosive to the tips of injectors. Also the fouling of injectors are not only due to sulfur content, it is mainly due to Aromatics content of the fuel. If you will have a closer look at the used fuel injectors what will you see is sort of a gum like varnished color deposits, thats from the aromatics in the fuel. Unless you have thousands of ppm of sulfur in the fuel then it will be susceptible to sulfur clogging formations at the tip of the injectors. I've seen sulfur clogging but not on an ordinary engine injectors...from a Gas turbine injectors fed by real dirty marine diesel fuel. The build up was evident from a just 4000hrs service.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I enjoyed reading this thread

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    How about retrofitting one or two additional fuel filters?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sorry for the noob-ish question: why don't they build injectors that are more water/sulfur resistant?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_gambit View Post
    How about retrofitting one or two additional fuel filters?
    Actually it's a common practice of truck (pick up) owners in the States. They add or put it in series to the existing OEM filters. Racor Filter is a good brand because it has a water separator and filter built in one. There's a selection of 2 or 10 or 30microns filter. The lesser microns it is the purer the fuel, only drawback is the more filtration the more the pressure drop in fuel line. In industrial & Marine engines fuels are really treated well before it will be fed to engines.
    One thing that evades me really up until now is the specification of the fuel filter fitted in modern cars..I've asked mitsu's, Hyundai, Toyota mechanics and Casa executive but they don't really know what microns it could filter.

Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    sorry for the noob-ish question: why don't they build injectors that are more water/sulfur resistant?
    Well again it will be due to the Practicality (Law of Economics)...Engineering designs are there to ensure that durability and practicality are always in balance. You can really design it overboard but the cost will be prohibitive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Diesel sa Pinas (the untold story now an article in the PDI, October 20, 2010)