New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    if diesel will be priced the same with hi-octane gas, i'll take diesel pa rin. diesel runs more KM than gas IMO.

look at the new CRDI engines more economical than ever.
    like new 2.0 ford focus runs 23km/l(as ford phils. claimed).
    now think a new 2.0 Gas fed engine that can cover even half mileage of ford focus. nahh, not even close, right? plus you got more OOOMMMPP(torque) on diesel powered car.
    just my 2 cents.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I was looking at the Innova since this has a diesel variant and a gasoline variant.

Price of Diesel G is P1,084,000; Price of Gasoline G is P1,013,000 - both A/T - from www.motioncars.com. Price delta is P71,000.

Now assuming fuel rate consumption of gasoline variant is P8Km/L and diesel variant is P10Km/L; Price of diesel is P55.98/L; gasoline is P59.5(?)/L or 6% difference.

Breakeven point would be around 38,600KM, where the diesel has consumed 3,860 liters at a total cost of P216,082 while the gasoline variant has consumed 4,825 liters at a total cost of P287,087 or a difference of approx P71,000.

If diesel is at 9Km/L and gas at 8Km/L, breakeven point would be at around 58,500Km.

Now, if both have the same fuel rate consumption of 8Km/L, then breakeven point would be at 161,600Km.... Now, that is really a long distance

(These of course assume that maintenance is equal for both variants)
    6404:pump:
    Last edited by CVT; July 12th, 2008 at 10:40 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    My case is different. I have a 2006 Ford Everest 4x2 A/T and runs on diesel. I can only squeeze 5.8km/L, while my 2001 Altis 1.8G can run up to 8 to 9km/L. Using my altis is more economical for me for everday use, though I'm still seriously considering getting a smaller but fuel efficient car. Maybe a getz 1.5L crdi.Price though is unreasonably high at 680T.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Diesel Is Only 6% Cheaper Than Gas, Would You Still Consider Buying Diesel Vehicle?
    The answer is YES...

Because one of the biggest advantages of choosing a diesel car is fuel economy. A diesel's extra 20 to 30 percent of fuel efficiency makes a difference. You'll use less fuel as you drive and fill up your tank less often. Fewer trips to the pump means more money stays in your wallet.

Another advantage of buying a diesel is driving performance. Anyone who likes to zip away from a stop sign will like a diesel engine's pep, it is noticeably peppier and more fun to drive. So not only do you have better fuel economy, you have better performance, more of a sporty kind of drive. Modern diesel engines are a lot quieter than diesels 20 years ago.

Today's diesel engines are almost as quiet as gasoline engines and because of their excellent fuel economy, diesel cars also burn less fuel and emit less carbon dioxide (CO2) than gasoline cars.

i know because i have a Hyundai Matrix CRDi VGT...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Reality dito na mas mahal ang diesel kesa gasoline by about 10-15%, pero kahit ganun pa man, i'm eagerly waiting for the koreans and japs to bring in their diesel fed cars & midsize suvs here...

i used to drive a 02 (yata) jetta TDI for a while and gave me around 40 city - 45 hiway mpg (17-19 kpl) plus i miss the exhilirating torque that diesel fed vehicles let you experience off the line and climbing...

heard that new generation jetta TDI can deliver around 50mpg (21 kpl) and that the jap counterparts in the UK deliver about the same...

though our 2.5 altima isn't too bad, giving us 28 city - 35 hiway (about 12 -15kpl)... deym, if the emission standards here weren't that strict matagal na siguro ako naka-diesel...
    Last edited by slamtaz; July 13th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vanquish View Post
    My case is different. I have a 2006 Ford Everest 4x2 A/T and runs on diesel. I can only squeeze 5.8km/L, while my 2001 Altis 1.8G can run up to 8 to 9km/L. Using my altis is more economical for me for everday use, though I'm still seriously considering getting a smaller but fuel efficient car. Maybe a getz 1.5L crdi.Price though is unreasonably high at 680T.
    Same for me, my Gen 2 diesel Pajero is only good up to 6km/L while my Mitsu RVR 1.8 GDI engine averages 12 km/L on E10 unleaded gas...a 50% difference

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    For some reason I got 26MPG on my last full tank just today. And that's with using the A/C (it's summer here in the US), quite a bit of freeway driving (in fast 80+mph runs and some traffic crawls). Quite surprised by this, actually, since I mostly get 25MPG.

And I didn't use any fuel additive this time. Last time I poured in a cetane booster (Diesel Kleen is what it's called) to clean up the engine and increase cetane. Maybe I didn't have to do that all along. Hmm...

On the contrary, what's surprising too is that our 1990 300TE that runs on premium gasoline got 22MPG on the last tank. I don't think it was completely full so I'm 50/50 on its accuracy on that last MPG run but so far that's GOOD. I mostly got 20MPG running sustained 80MPH on the freeway without A/C last winter, driving 800 miles for a family trip.

However, the lowest my diesel has ever achieved is 22MPG, while the lowest the gasser has achieved is 16MPG. The highest my diesel has gotten was 29MPG, while the highest the other one got was 22MPG.

I don't have the immediate priority to buy a new car, since both cars are paid for already and the only money I spend on them is for insurance, registration, smog (gasoline only, diesel has no smog test here in CA), and maintenance parts/labor. Most of the maintenance I do myself anyway, so I save a lot on labor too.

On cost per mile the diesel is definitely cheaper to run than the gasser. I'm sure the gap would narrow down had it been a 4-banger econobox that runs on regular, but these cars are also a hobby to me and not just basic transportation. So I understand the increased operating costs and have no problems with that.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Even if the Everest is a diesel, it's still larger and heavier compared to the Altis, and it uses an A/T. That's where the difference in consumption lies.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; July 13th, 2008 at 10:38 AM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^also, the gen 1 everest isn't a common rail yet. a known guzzler among the 2.5 diesel a/t on the market. gen 2 has a different story, aside from more fuel efficient, it has more speed too.

i still go for diesel vehicle too because of it's advantage in torque and greater efficiency. lesser parts to be replaced during reg check ups and maintenance period.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Still Diesel for me. I love gobs of torque when driving and it consumes less fuel than gas engines plus, as they say the engine is more durable.

We have a 2001 Kia Carnival with 2.9 DOHC Intercooled turbo engine and IMO the Carnival is heavier than your Everest but we are averaging 8-10km/l city and 10-12km/l h-way driving with an average of 4 people on board and BTW it also has an auto tranny.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Diesel Is Only 6% Cheaper Than Gas, Would You Still Consider Buying Diesel Vehicle?