New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sa mga Diesel Masters,

I just need some description and purpose for some technical words. First hand information po sana, people who has used it.

1. PTO switch
    2. Remote PTO switch
    3. Jacobs brake control
    4. Double Clutch

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Sa mga Diesel Masters,

I just need some description and purpose for some technical words. First hand information po sana, people who has used it.

1. PTO switch
    2. Remote PTO switch
    3. Jacobs brake control
    4. Double Clutch
    Hi Mr. Landas

A PTO (Power take off) switch is a push/pull switch used commonly in shops that utilize hydraulic equipment (such as found in gasoline stations) to access the underside of a vehicle, for example. It also controls tractors, lawn mowers, etc. A remote PTO is just a pto with a wire or cable extension from the mains. This is practically helpful when working alone or at a distance from the mains (kinda facilitates the task especially where time is crucial). I have used one in my traction device. So basicallly it's a power switch.
    A Jacobs brake control (aka Jake brake) is a supplementary (add on) system ideally designed for towing operations (eg. Horse trailers) and vehicles (Ram) that ply rugged terrain (i.e. hilliy off road). Cummins Turbo Diesel employ such brakes for added control and economy (brake parts)
    Double declutching is a technique used by big truck drivers to prevent damage to the unsynchronized gear boxes found in these vehicles. Double declutching/clutching has become obsolete because of the synchronizing mechanism found in modern trannies. This somehow simulates Heel and Toe in rally racing.
    Hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thank very much sir Dencio.

Very clear po ang explanation. I will post other terms that i don't quite understand, i hope you will help me again.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    What is the function of these terms?

1. Engine compression brake
    2. Cummins C brake system
    3. In ECI Cylinder Misfire Test:
    .......The engine must be running at a speed between 800 and 1000rpm using the throttle pedal. Do not use the idle or PTO controls to raise the engine speed. Hold the injector plunger down while the engine is running, which will stop fuel flow to the injectors.......
    Question: PTO control?
    4. Kent Moore Tools

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    What is the function of these terms?

1. Engine compression brake
    2. Cummins C brake system
    3. In ECI Cylinder Misfire Test:
    .......The engine must be running at a speed between 800 and 1000rpm using the throttle pedal. Do not use the idle or PTO controls to raise the engine speed. Hold the injector plunger down while the engine is running, which will stop fuel flow to the injectors.......
    Question: PTO control?
    4. Kent Moore Tools
    Sorry for the late reply, 'twas a long day for me....
    These questions gonna cost you now...big time!
    kidding aside...

1. An 'engine break', like the Jacobs, Cummins, and PacBrake is a supplementary braking device that slows down diesel engines by releasing compressed air (i.e compression brake) through the exhaust valve with the help of a slave piston that opens it. This way, power is released to the atmosphere rather than translated to the crankshaft...This device is totally controllable/manipulated using a switch on the dash, clutch or foot pedal and one on the throttle lever. It reduces maintenance costs on normal service breaks (both drum and disc), and reduces tire wear.

2. The Cummins C brake is designed for heavy duty use to give drivers greater braking control when negotiating a steep downhill, eliminating the need for service brake use and thereby avoiding the risk of overheating the brake elements. Operates as above.

3. A PTO control in the PCM (power control module) is used to electronically actuate a 12v PTO solenoid to manipulate engine speed based on requirements and preferred applications. It can be found in modern diesel engines such as in Ford F series. The principle of operation is quite technical so let's just leave that for the moment.

4. Kent Moore tools are one of the many branded Specialty Service Tools that range from synchronizer removal tools to engine pressure tester and so on and so forth.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sir Dencio ang laki po ng tulong ninyo sa akin. One day I will meet you and repay you for the unselfish wisdom.

Ngayon guide questions na tayo!

1. Cummins diesel engines used in current on highways truck application consist of the following models.

a) A,B,C, L10 and 14-L units
    b) L10 and 14-L units
    c) B,C and L10 units
    d) B,C, L10, and 14-L units

2. Technician A says that all Cummins engine use the PT fuel system. Technician B disagrees, saying that the PT and Roberts Bosch inline multi-plunger pump system as well as a distributor pump system as well as distributor pump of Bosch or CAV manufacturers are used on the various series of engines. Which technician is up to date with his information?
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; June 16th, 2007 at 10:47 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Sir Dencio ang laki po ng tulong ninyo sa akin. One day I will meet you and repay you for the unselfish wisdom.

Ngayon guide questions na tayo!

1. Cummins diesel engines used in current on highways truck application consist of the following models.

a) A,B,C, L10 and 14-L units
    b) L10 and 14-L units
    c) B,C and L10 units
    d) B,C, L10, and 14-L units

2. Technician A says that all Cummins engine use the PT fuel system. Technician B disagrees, saying that the PT and Roberts Bosch inline multi-plunger pump system as well as a distributor pump system as well as distributor pump of Bosch or CAV manufacturers are used on the various series of engines. Which technician is up to date with his information?

good day! sorry for the late reply...busy with the kids yesterday

1. I'm not familiar with the latest models but afaik, the L unit is ideal for all truck applications (dump trucks and micers). The B series is cost efficient and the C handles high pressure while delivering power upto about 300 horsepower...so that leaves us to choosing c) or d) and I leave it up to you.
    2. The PT (pressure - time ) fuel system is Cummins trademark whereas the Bosch lines are used in Volks Wagen, Bentley, etc..The PT uses injectors that meters/injects the fuel on a pressure-time principle. So Technician A is correct.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thank you po again!
    I have a clipping attached here that you might be interested.

http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hi there I have tasks of determining the diesel consumption of our delivery trucks.our trucks use isuzu 4be1 and fuso 4d32.Can anyone tell the average fuel consumption of this engines?

DIESEL Medium/Heavy 101