New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    diesel is better.
    In a 3rd world country such as ours, wherein the large majority of low cost mass transportation uses diesel fuel, The goverment will surely find a way to reduce the price of fuel specifically diesel.
    better get diesel, ite benefits outweight the initial cost.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    well for me, depende pa din sa pag gagamitan, kasi kung service lang at hindi naman long travel, okey na ang gas engine, pero kung long travel at loaded ka lagi mas better ang diesel kasi mas maganda ang performance ng diesel sa mga malayuan at mabigatan, not like gas engine feel mo ang pag hihirap nya kapag long run ang usapan.....just for me lang

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    i completely agree. diesel pa rin sir, imho mas proven na ang durability and dependability. less pa ang cost sa maintenance. for two generations, my family has been using diesel fed engines,we never get headaches in replacing parts. these engines delivers more torque and is able to take more punishment and still run compared to gas type engines.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Ako naman I have been using gasoline fed cars for how many years na. Pero last year nag decide ako kumuha ng SUV na diesel engine. So far no problems naman.(knock on wood)

Para sa akin syempre mas nagustohan ko na yung diesel kong kotse kase nakakatipid ako sa konsumo ng gasolina lalu na sa byahe ko almost 3 times a week sa probinsya. Talagang mas sulit pang long-hauled trips ang diesel.
    Last edited by LadyRider; July 20th, 2008 at 05:47 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I'm a diesel user for very long time using Isuzu engines, bad thing about diesel is the noise and vibration even new generation diesel still has it, have to keep changing oil at regular 5000K or less. Now everytime my neighbor's Isuzu Highlamder passed by, I can't ignore the loud tak-tak sound it radiates

When I decided to get an Innova about a year and half ago, it was also my dilemma choosing between the 2 variants. I was already reading about LPG thread way back then...I ended up getting the Gas version thinking I might go LPG someday

Today my Innova is LPG equipped and I'm not bothered anymore with fuel price hikes every weekends. Engine runs smooth and spark plugs are clean and looking healthy not like on Petrol where my spark plugs looks like a burnt pandesal

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Personal car, sa gas ako but kung family car naman na gagamiting sa mga long drives with cargo ay diesel naman

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    May psychological impact kasi yan eh. When you buy the car from the CASA you're so excited about your new car that your barely feel the pain of paying the extra costs for diesel engines nor do you think the maintenance sosts associated with it since matagal pa naman yun. But when you go the pump weekly you always feel the pain frequently. So mas emotional yung attachment to disel rather than logical or quantitative. I too have been doing my computations and find that diesel is not worth it on the long run unless you have high mileage or you really need the torque but for everyday work-home-mall-errands use its a waste of money.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Parang self-contradicting post mo sir Happy gilmore a

In your Innova analysis, 1.4 yrs lang recoup mo na price difference so how come myth ang savings from diesel engine?

FACT is more fuel efficient ang diesel vs same spec gas engine.

It only becomes complicated kasi when dealers take advantage and/or overhype their diesel products to further push prices (case in point: Kia Carens ).

The only sane way to go about when choosing bet gas or diesel rides is to factor in the intended use and mileage, then compare the savings vs the difference. Some vehicles will prove that diesel is way cheaper ala innova, others might not be so.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    And now that diesel is bound to go past gasoline price-wise (in the world market diesel costs around $160/barrel while gasoline around $135/barrel) it makes the case strong arguing for gasoline. Its only here that the government is trying to suppress the rise of diesel to save their faces but of course the markets is too strong for any government to manipulate and ultimately the prices will correct to their real values...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by happy gilmore View Post
    perhaps this forum can be a medium for people to see that there is not much advantage in using diesel except if you are driving a truck and require all that torque.
    This is where I beg to disagree. Hindi limited sa trucks lang ang advantages ng diesel.

Ever wonder why almost all passenger vans are diesel powered? kasi kung gas nga naman yun, masyado malaking engine displacement ang kailangan para match niya ang torque ng diesel leading to gas guzzling.

As for SUV's CUV's AUV's, halos ganun din to a lesser degree. Lets take a look at the Innova example, 1.4 years bawi ang price difference diba? That means may extra kang Php 35,000 per year in savings. And I doubt diesel Innovas cost much more than 35K to maintain than their gas counterparts.

Sa sedans lang talaga lamang ang gas variants kasi unang una, hindi gaanong ma-exploit ang torque advantages ng diesel enough to be reflected on FC savings. Tapos nandiyan pa ang LPG option.

Altho that may change soon. Due to new diesel engine design tech, more and more manufacturers are now able to provide very efficient and green diesel sedans. A good but rare example is the Ford Focus diesel variant. Anlaki ng FC diff compared sa gas.

So in the long run, for "normal" car users like the common juan de la cruz - gas fed engines (in the meantime that hybrids and aircars are not yet here) are NOT ALWAYS the best choice....

Peace

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
diesel or gas