New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. cj is offline Verified Tsikot Member
    Peeps,

Did you watch PROBE TEAM the other night? na-feature yung coco-diesel. The reporter swears it worked on channel 7's van - nawal yung black smoke and feel din daw yung 'extra' power. Flying V will be selling it daw early next year. Sana hindi masyado mahal ...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have used a 5% mix of Senbel's coco diesel. While I used it, I noticed that I had a bit less black smoke (noticeable loss of black smoke). I felt like there was indeed a bit more ooomph in the engine, but it was not significant; in fact, it was just a FEELING, so it may have been a placebo effect because of what I have read and what I was told.

I have since stopped using coco diesel. Not that it's not effective: IT IS. I used it about 4 times, and I believe that my pick up was actually about 5% more fuel efficient.

HOWEVER, 5% may be within the range of what I normally do, so it's not conclusive that the fuel economy savings was attributable to the coco-diesel. I would have like to test it even further (say, about 20 times), but:

1. It costs P44/liter if you get 20 liters (it costs P54/liter if you get it in smaller quantities, as I did: I got one liter at a time).

2. You have to get it from SENBEL in Richville Towers in Alabang (along Alabang-Zapote road, a stone's throw from Ford Alabang... well, if you can throw about 200 meters anyway).

Because of the cost and the HASSLE, I shied away from it. BUT I WOULD LOVE TO KEEP ON USING IT, as long as it wasn't really a hassle.

As far as the cost is concerned, I normally fill up P452 worth of diesel, and put that small can of Petron Diesel Booster which costs P48. As you can see, COST-WISE, it's almost the same. But HASSLE-WISE:

1. The guy in Petron is the one who pours it into my tank;
    2. It's convenient: I put fuel and the additive in one go--no need to go all the way to Alabang.

Even if Senbel ends up selling it in True Value, Ace Hardware, etc., there will still be the extra hassle of having to put it in my tank myself.

Now that Flying V might offer it, that might be less of a hassle... wait... there aren't many Flying Vs around (sigh).

I wish Senbel can do something to ease distribution, because I prefer the coco-diesel over the Petron.

Since my Strada will be checked for emissions on January (or FEB) before the renewal of the registration, I plan to buy the P880, 20 liter coco-diesel. And when my tank is almost empty, I will pour the 20 liters of pollution free fuel, and head over to LTO. I'm confident I will pass the emission test.

CAVEAT: Coco-diesel is a powerful solvent. It may end up cleaning the fuel lines TOO well, and you might end up with a CLOGGED FUEL FILTER.

--Alf

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    44 bucks per liter :shock: DAMN THAT IS EXPENSIVE

say if I fill up 45 liters / 2 weeks that's 44*45*2 = 3960 per month

Damn mas mabuti pa sigurong naka V6 na gas engine

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nice info alf!

5. FrankDrebin Guest
    This is good!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i watched that feature sa Probe Team ... eto lang comments ko about it..specially dun sa feedback in Alf

coco-diesel will not, repeat will not, necessarily improve your gas mileage. in fact, sabi nung nakausap namin sa isang meeting, biodiesels (cocodiesel included) has less heating value compared to diesel.
    What coco diesel will do is reduce your particulate smoke emissions -- yung unburned diesel fuel which is the black smoke that we see-- and reduce harmful emissions such as sulfur dioxide since coco diesel contains very minimal or no sulfur unlike diesel derived from petroleum. kung may improvement man in terms of mileage, it could be beause your fuel is burning better (if cocodiesel is blended with diesel) and your fuel injection system has been made cleaner -- as I've mentioned a number of times sa old board, cocodiesel cleans out scum from your fuel delivery system since it is a better dissolver than diesel and has more lubricating effect.

tama si alf na up to 5% lang ang blend ng cocodiesel, this is the recommeded dosage. pwede pa rin naman beyond that dosage, kaya lang , ang advice nung German expert na nakausap ko, dapat daw palitan yung mga gaskets which comes into contact with the biodiesel ng gasket na mas solvent resistant -- the gasket should be made of viton - a brand name of rubber which is chemically resistant. medyo mahal yang gasket na ganyan kung meron man nito dito sa pinas.

meron din ibang companies involved dyan sa cocodiesel project na yan. di lang senbel, ayaw lang muna lumabas nung ibang companies coz it's not their main business. Pero suportahan natin to mga diesel peeps, para sa tin din to -- for us diesel vehicle car users, for the pedestrians, and eventually for our coconut farmers.

btw, I myself has been using cocodiesel on my XTO, pero konti lang gamit ko, about 1 liter per 50 liter full tank. saka di yung sa senbel ang gamit ko. mas refined sya. so far, parang halos walang effect, minor improvement in terms of acceleration, di ko lang sure kung nabawasan smoke ko. di naman kasi ako usukin. if there's one sector that would benefit from the use of cocodiesel, eto yung mga PUJ's and PUB's natin.
    pero just the same, even if you use 100% cocodiesel, if your engine is not properly calibrated, uusok pa rin yan. di nga lang itim, puti na sya. I've seen it nung minsan nag test kami na kargahan ng pure cocodiesel yung L300 cab/truck dito sa company namin. yun lang, di na masyadong harmful yung emission kasi nga biochemical naman yun.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ahhh i see 1 liter for every 50 liters. :oops:

ok na ok yan 44 or 54 bucks lang per full tank :D

saan makakabili kaya nito Manila area :?:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    btw, I myself has been using cocodiesel on my XTO, pero konti lang gamit ko, about 1 liter per 50 liter full tank.
    rsnald, okay lang ba kahit hindi 1:50 ang ratio ng cocodiesel sa diesel when filling the tank? usually when I do fill my tank to full, i get 35 liters only, meaning I still have 20 liters in my tank. mahirap kasi masyadong isagad baka masipsip na ang mga dumi.

say, ang ratio is 1:35?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [quote="20vanda01"]

rsnald, okay lang ba kahit hindi 1:50 ang ratio ng cocodiesel sa diesel when filling the tank? usually when I do fill my tank to full, i get 35 liters only, meaning I still have 20 liters in my tank. mahirap kasi masyadong isagad baka masipsip na ang mga dumi.

say, ang ratio is 1:35?
    basta ang recommended 5% of the total volume ng nasa tangke mo, so for 35 liters, up to 1 3/4 liter pwede. wala namang immediate harmful effects kung mapasobra specially for newer vehicles.
    kung ako sa yo pre, make it a point na i-full tank mo na para walang vapor space sa loob ng fuel tank - so walang chance na magkaron ng water condensation sa loob ng tank --- yung hamog ba, specially now na malamig ang panahon. dati ang style ko, pag dati ng halfway mark dun sa gauge, full tank agad. e medyo mabusisi din, so i run until almost empty na then I reload. para ubos na yung last tank ko, so fresh full load ulit.
    make it a point to drain water sa water separator mo pre. do it once a month or every two months. believe me you, meron konting tubig kang makukuha dun.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    saan po may Flying V sa Quezon City area, particularly sa may Kamuning/Diliman?

sana magkaroon ng iba pang distribution channels na mas accessible sa mga motorists na malayo sa Flying V.

coco-diesel