New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Focus diesel can start in 4th gear. Slowly, but it'll make it. ;)

Actually, if you slip the clutch enough, any car can start in 5th or 6th gear, but it'll overheat and probably glaze the clutch.

I sometimes start in second gear when driving diesels... the L300's first gear is so low that we almost never use it... 2nd is about as long as 1st gear on other cars. In fact, my cousin went for maybe two or three years without fixing the broken 1st gear on their L300 before...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    sure you can try all those saving methods pero dito sa Pilipinas, it's always unpredictable. our emotions are part of the traffic.
    ay, so korekek! sabi nga e kakambal daw sa pagaaral mag drive ang matutong magmura... very bad, pero totoo. yung iba esp lady drivers ayaw lang pahalata pero deep inside nagmumura din hehe, ayaw lang pakita sa pasahero nya hahaha...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 170kphlang View Post
    napansin ko lang kung magmaneho pinsan ko sa manual tyranny usually 1st gear papaabutin ng 2000rpm then shift sa 2nd gear paabutin ulit ng 2000-2200rpm then shift sa 3rd gear tapos paabutin ng 2500rpm then shift na sa 5th gear, di na dadaan ng 4th this method usually ang speed niya is around 55-60kph, city driving speeds kumbaga..

can this save gas kahit konti lang pero pagnagaccumulate yung minor na tipid na yun malaki rin in the long run or mas magastos sa gas at nakakasira pa? tia
    According sa list ng ride mo, mukhang mahirap magtipid dyan sa mga iyan hehehehe

maybe you need a picanto or an alto

hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ive been shifting using lower rpms (usually 2000rpm or lower) on all gears to save gas. My brother claims that his Jeep's gearbox in the US got destroyed due to this technique. He says we have to periodically check the gearbox oil for particles of metal which would signal that our gears are actually being eaten away. Ive been driving my Lancer for 11 years and I havent had a problem with it though.
    I noticed that in the end, it still depends on how heavy our foot is on the gas pedal. We can have a tendency to step on the pedal harder when we reach 5th gear in order to accelerate a little faster, I think this will entail using more gas if done this way. In this technique, we have to be more patient.
    Certain cars are harder to shift at lower gears. Toyota engines using the Atkins cycle (as opposed to the Otto cycle used by most cars) need to be revved at higher levels. Engines using the Atkins cycle however, are noted to be more fuel efficient despite this requirement. This might partly explain my difficulty in driving with this technique on my dad's corolla.
    I also noticed a slight increased in power when I shifted to the premium Seaoil gasoline from their Regular Unleaded. 2 years ago, the stickers on their pumps displayed octane ratings of 97+ for premium and 95+ for unleaded (as opposed to 95 and 93 for other oil companies). I noticed that I could shift at an even lower rpm, and certain power requirements such as uphill acceleration which used to need 3rd gear could then be accomplished by the 4th gear. I dont know if I saved any fuel by doing this, but Ive returned to their unleaded fuel, with the rising costs of gas. Also, I noticed that Seaoil has decreased their Octane ratings displayed on their pumps to the usual 95 and 93 octanes since then.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    maganda siguro kung normal lang... kasi pag sobrang baba ng minor mo sa higher gears mahihirapan makina mo

and check for tire pressure, air cleaner and what so ever para makatipid ka sa consumo ng gas/crudo

may times kasi na ginagawa ko yan yung transmition ko nangangatal apektado clutch nun

just drive normal... pigilan mo sarili mo sa paghataw ^_^ ksi mag titipid ka nga may nangaga naman sayu sa kalsada imposible d ko hahabulin kahit papano ^_^

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    just watch out how deep you are pushing your acceleration pedal... you can get low rpm yet your foot is deeper than you think...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
can this method of shifting save gas kahit minimal lang?