New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Like I said ... misconception ...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    don't take his or my word for it, folks. see the video. make many re-takes, until it is clear to you, what you think you heard, and what he said, or did not say. the guy (in the video!) talks so fast.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes it saves fuel. the rpm is the same whether the tranny is in N or D. if it is in drive then the engine is working against the brake. if it is in N then it is only working against the friction of engine parts. so since the earlier is greater then fuel consumption is more.

but as have been pointed out, shifting from D to N and back to D wears out the friction band of the tranny. you then need to make a choice between saving gas or preventing wear that might cause more expenses.

i do it, shifting to N when on a long stop. that means only when my lane had just stopped and i know it will be a long time before the light turns green again. otherwise i keep it in D and just step on the brakes.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I made a video on my Civic FD years ago. In my not-so-scientific test, fuel consumption (at least on this car) is between 30-48% higher when the gear is engaged (D) while idling at a stop.

On the other hand, if you shift to Neutral on every stop, you will wear out the clutch bands faster. So, strike a balance between saving fuel and reducing wear on your transmission by shifting to N only if you anticipate it to be a very long stop.

What the heck your last paragraph is talking about?

Muscle in the legs are susceptible to fatigue, thats a fact, thats why in a stop and go situation, automatic transmission is more convenient to use.

When the gear is in D and you opted to depress the brake pedal to stop, after a prolonged period the leg muscle tend to relax causing the clutch to engage and resulting the car to creep until you depress the pedal hard again in order to disengage the clutch and stop again. That process wears the clutch more than setting the gear to N because in this scenario the clutch is completely disengaged. It doesnt matter wether youre stepping on the brake pedal or not with an engaged handbrake because theres no chance the clutch will try to couple the wheel to the engine when the gear is on N

So shifting to N is a good driving practice because it doesnt only save you fuel it protects your tranny and clutch from wear and tear when your vehicle creeps especially when you dont intend to due to muscle relaxation

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by kisshmet; May 26th, 2017 at 12:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12