New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    We will have to agree to disagree on the usefulness of individual mileage.

Nway 4 km/liter on a Mazda 3 is just horrible. I daily drove an SH9 Forester XT for the past 5 years in city traffic and worst mileage I got was 5.5 liters/km when I'm really booting it (using full tank to full tank method of measuring FC).

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by desmosedici View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree on the usefulness of individual mileage.

Nway 4 km/liter on a Mazda 3 is just horrible. I daily drove an SH9 Forester XT for the past 5 years in city traffic and worst mileage I got was 5.5 liters/km when I'm really booting it (using full tank to full tank method of measuring FC).
    Following your logic, then my Mazda's mileage isn't comparable to your FXT because we don't drive the same route.

But common sense and personal experience shows that even with unidentical routes, if traffic is fairly similar (say BGC to QC via C5 and Makati to Caloocan via EDSA, both rush hour), results will be comparable. Obviously not exact, but you can never get exact figures unless it's a completely controlled environment.

And I drive the exact same route every week and still get huge variances in FC for the same car, so even that isn't controlled.

As long as fill-ups are detailed and correctly done, useful analyses can be made even across different drivers, cars, and routes.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; July 2nd, 2017 at 07:57 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Following your logic, then my Mazda's mileage isn't comparable to your FXT because we don't drive the same route. - Exactly but the reason is more than just the differing routes. I mentioned other factors in my previous post. All other factors being nearly equal, the 2.5 turbo FXT wil register a much lower km/liter than a 2.0 or 1.5 Mazda 3 but you can see how the variables can distort the true picture by so much.

But common sense and personal experience shows that even with unidentical routes, if traffic is fairly similar (say BGC to QC via C5 and Makati to Caloocan via EDSA, both rush hour), results will be comparable. Obviously not exact, but you can never get exact figures unless it's a completely controlled environment. - Depends on one's acceptable fudge factor. I don't trust data that's based on too many variables. Yung sa Petron tests, OK yon. Variables were eliminated as practicably as possible.

And I drive the exact same route every week and still get huge variances in FC for the same car, so even that isn't controlled. - Exactly. Which is why data only becomes reliable over a period of time, when you can average out your entries.

As long as fill-ups are detailed and correctly done, useful analyses can be made even across different drivers, cars, and routes. - Disagree.
    Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    As I said, kanya kanyang opinion lang yan. Peace bro.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    I see a healthy discussion here

Actually, when I first saw desmosedici's post, I also had the same response as jut703's. I just didn't have the juts -- just kidding; I mean guts -- to spark a "mini debate."

When I post FC stats, I believe it would have value to others (that's the reason why I joined this forum). It could serve as benchmarks -- which, by nature is comparison -- for others regardless of the variables.

In benchmarking, car owners get to realize the variables behind FCs. This, to me, is an exercise of our mental capacities; not futility. With all due respect, I don't see why it's "an exercise of futility."

It's also noteworthy that posting FC stats doesn't necessarily have to end up in comparison. Like me, I post FC stats also because I wanted to be applauded for how good I can manage fuel consumption. Actually, in another thread, jut703 has already noticed it; and it made me really happy!

Lastly, before I sleep (hehe), this confused me a lot, desmosedici...

Quote Originally Posted by desmosedici View Post
    I don't see that your post, as quoted above, aligns with your first point...

Don't get me wrong, to me this is a healthy discussion; I'm not incriminating at all

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234