New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    i recently bought a 2000 corolla lovelife. it was setup with a free flow muffler. i had it checked and got the carb cleaned. but i'm still consuming only 6-7 kms per liter. is the free flow muffler a big factor in the fuel consumption? one friend of mine said that i need to have it tuned again because of the muffler, would that be necessary? i hope you guys can help me... thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When you had the carb cleaned, did they open it up and overhaul it or was it just sprayed with carb cleaner? Was the car tuned-up (change plugs, adjust valve tappets, timing checked and filters changed/cleaned)?

The free-flow muffler on a small engine like the 2E is a non-factor really... it just creates more noise.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    they overhauled the carb, cleaned the spark plugs, and filters. they didn't adjust the valve tappets though.

4. Join Date
    May 2008
    its the ethanol blend in the gasoline. carbs just don't do well with E10 and the fc suffers.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Using E10 gasolines (or 10% Ethanol mixed into gasoline) already results in 5% to 10% reduced fuel mileage because ethanol has less energy content compared to gasoline.

Add to the problem of potential internal engine damage of using E10 gasoline in engines NOT compatible to it (this includes ALL carb engines).

2e Corolla engine help...