New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    [SIZE="2"]Hi, I'm planning to get a used Honda Civic/City. Budget is P165K maximum. I saw a lot of posts for ESI's, LX's within my budget. But most of my friends advised me to stay away from those models.They told me to get a VTi or LXi instead.

I want to get some opinions from you guys as I don't want also to have headaches for maintenance if ever. So I came up with these questions to clarify what I've heard so far. Hope you could help me out.

As compared to VTi/LXi,
    1] Is it true that ESI/LX models have weak shocks/suspensions?
    2] ESI/LX models, hard to find na daw ung parts?
    3] What are the other common problems for these models?
    4] If you agree with what my friends told me, what are your reasons other than stated above?

If you have other advise to give, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys![/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    1. No. I don't think so. I'm still seeing STOCK ESi's & LX's on the road up to now.
    2. No.
    3. Rusting.
    4. I agree with your friends that you get the LXi or the VTi. Why ? Simple, it's newer. BUT with your given budget ... you cannot afford those since both are still priced 200K +. The ESi, LX that you are talking about are the smaller civics. Their production year is if I'm not mistaken 1993 - 1995 while the LXi & VTi are produced, sold locally at the year of 1996 up to 1999.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by microtsip View Post
    [FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]Hi, I'm planning to get a used Honda Civic/City. Budget is P165K maximum. I saw a lot of posts for ESI's, LX's within my budget. But most of my friends advised me to stay away from those models.They told me to get a VTi or LXi instead.

I want to get some opinions from you guys as I don't want also to have headaches for maintenance if ever. So I came up with these questions to clarify what I've heard so far. Hope you could help me out.

As compared to VTi/LXi,
    no but many people try to lower their esi/lx in the wrong way and end up having premature suspension failure. The same can happen to any other car if you lower it the wrong way.

not yet. But since it is over 15 years old and getting near to 20, model specific parts will start to get harder to find.

rust on the roof and fenders.

weak headlights (reflector design problem)

4] If you agree with what my friends told me, what are your reasons other than stated above?
    cars are machines. The older a machine gets, more problems come up simply due to age. Example: wiring, switches, sensors, relays... all of these "simple" parts can fail due to age and diagnosing/fixing it might be difficult and expensive. Even wear & tear items like bushings, bearings, belts, etc... they all end up combining... making you bring the car into a repair shop on a monthly basis.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hi guys! Thanks for all your inputs!

*ghosthunter

now I know what my friend mentioned about the ESi he saw. One passenger lang daw sa likod tapos "lumulundo" na daw agad. I guess it was the incorrectly lowered as you have said. So as long as it's not yet "lowered", I guess it will still last for 3 to 5 years maybe?

*renzo_d10

rusting was also mentioned by ghosthunter... as mentioned by him, I guess a rusted fender is still ok with me.. but the roof, I hope it's still usable for3 to 5 years.

with these issues, how will it fare to toyota corolla's with the same year?

thanks again!!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    [SIZE=2]As compared to VTi/LXi, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]1] Is it true that ESI/LX models have weak shocks/suspensions?[/SIZE]
    They basically have the same double wishbone layout and coil springs may be interchangeable. And yes, do not cut the springs.

I did that to my ESI (and know lots of Honda guys who did the same thing) prior to replacing them with lowering springs. Hindi siya matagtag but you will feel it rides much, much stiffer than proper lowering springs. And you wouldn't want such hard feel especially on bumpy roads.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    Never had problems so far. Go to online buy and sell sites and you'll find lots of used items, since these cars are highly willing to be modified most owners replace them with aftermarket parts, making used stock parts plenty in the buy n sell circulation.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

Rust bubbles. I didn't have those on the roof but got lots of them in the rear pillars. They don't look good.

Add to that cooling system issues (high temp) due to a really small radiator design and weak stock aux fan. But it can be helped. Just do proper maintenance.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

Even VTIs have similar cooling system issues, but at they have least rusting issues on visible parts.

The ESi looks more aggressive and sporty though.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

Based on your queries, it seemed you were never interested on the City (so don't get one), and you're fickle-minded between the Civic ESI, VTi and the Corolla (bigbody).

However, the ESi deserves a second look. Just prepare some P4000.00 for power window repairs.

One passenger lang daw sa likod tapos "lumulundo" na daw agad. I guess it was the incorrectly lowered as you have said. So as long as it's not yet "lowered", I guess it will still last for 3 to 5 years maybe?
    The ESi's stock springs give a semi-lowered stance. If you're not really into lowering it, just leave the coilsprings alone. But if you consider the age of the vehicle, you might be looking into replacing the springs and maybe shock absorbers already.

Just don't be fooled by these really cheap half-coilvers on the buy n sell market. They don't ride really well.

I guess a rusted fender is still ok with me.. but the roof, I hope it's still usable for3 to 5 years.
    By this time, if an ESi still wears the original paint, the rusts are very well visible already and they appear either on the roof of the pillars (unlucky you if the car has it on both locations)...

So you're looking at the Corolla GLi now. Actually, prospective Civic buyers always give Corolla AE101's a second look. Lucky you if you get to buy an SE Limited...

With a max budget of P165,000.00, you can't usually find a VTi in good condition. But you could be lucky to score one. If ever you see one that's within the budget, get a VTi (the LXi is cheaper but has no VTEC-E)..

Good luck
    Last edited by isa1023; April 27th, 2010 at 07:36 AM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    *renzo_d10

rusting was also mentioned by ghosthunter... as mentioned by him, I guess a rusted fender is still ok with me.. but the roof, I hope it's still usable for3 to 5 years.

thanks again!!

With regards to the corolla, I'm really not being biased since I own one too but I guess, as long as you maintain the vehicle and keep it in it's A1 condition, you really wouldn't have a problem.

On the rusting issues for the Civics however, you can somehow manage to avoid this for 3 - 5 years more. How ? Just park the vehicle inside your garage all the time, and have it detailed at least once a month.

But if you already bought one who has accumulated rust on the roof, better yet to have a complete washover at your reputable paint shop.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Tanong ko lang kung mayroon ng nakadiskubre kung bakit madaling kalawangin iyong bubong nito na kadalasan nakikita ko sa Honda.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    Tanong ko lang kung mayroon ng nakadiskubre kung bakit madaling kalawangin iyong bubong nito na kadalasan nakikita ko sa Honda.
    Up to now it still remains a mystery to me. I think sa Civic EG sedans (LX at ESi) lang nangyayari ito.

Ano nga kaya ang meron sa roof at rear pillar nito (minsan yung bubbles umaabot hanggang sa gas tank cover) at ganun-ganun nalang kung kalawangin?

Yung sakin dati nagkaron ng ganung "chickenpox" sa magkabilang rear pillars pero sa roof wala.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    [SIZE=2]Hi, I'm planning to get a used Honda Civic/City. Budget is P165K maximum. I saw a lot of posts for ESI's, LX's within my budget. But most of my friends advised me to stay away from those models.They told me to get a VTi or LXi instead.

As compared to VTi/LXi,

Thanks guys![/SIZE]
    >> I HAVE ESI model, ok cya matipid sa gas ingatan u lng roof kc mabilis cya mabulok pero npa2litan nman cya meron sa evangelista around 14k cya.

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Up to now it still remains a mystery to me. I think sa Civic EG sedans (LX at ESi) lang nangyayari ito.

Ano nga kaya ang meron sa roof at rear pillar nito (minsan yung bubbles umaabot hanggang sa gas tank cover) at ganun-ganun nalang kung kalawangin?

Yung sakin dati nagkaron ng ganung "chickenpox" sa magkabilang rear pillars pero sa roof wala.

skin nman bro nbutas na roof tsaka dami rust... ayun nasa talyer na ngayon.. singil skn 45k strip,.. ayos lng ba yong price?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda ESI, LX, LXi, VTi model comparison