New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Can't decide which to buy between this two. Help me decide guys!

Which is the better choice in terms of fuel efficiency, durability, performance, resale value (planning to buy SUV in a couple of years), and maintenance? Sa porma obvious naman (civic) kaya wag na yun. hehe.

TIA!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Fuel efficiency will probably go to the Corolla.

Pero yung Altis 1.6 na yan may known issue with engine sludging.

The VTI-S naman however has saftey features that the Corolla may not have (passenger airbag for one).

Durability for a 2nd hand vehicle between T & H will just probably go down to as to which car has been maintained better.

I think in terms of resale, halos papareho lang din yan come time to sell the car...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Civic for me

4. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Fuel efficiency will probably go to the Corolla.

Pero yung Altis 1.6 na yan may known issue with engine sludging.

The VTI-S naman however has saftey features that the Corolla may not have (passenger airbag for one).

Durability for a 2nd hand vehicle between T & H will just probably go down to as to which car has been maintained better.

I think in terms of resale, halos papareho lang din yan come time to sell the car...
    Thanks sa reply sir. I've just read about the engine sludging problem of toyota. I learned that this can be prevented by decreasing the time interval of changing the oil (say, every 4000m instread of the recommended 5000m by toyota). Granted I do this, would that make the Altis the better pick for you?

Overall, which do you prefer?

Thanks!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Are you getting the M/T or A/T? I will still be getting the Civic. As both have 1.6 engines, the Civic is significantly more powerful (130ps versus 116ps of the Altis). In fact that figure is still a very respectable figure among 1.6L cars of today. In fact only few have been able to reach this mark (like the new Elantra 1.6DCVVT). I also prefer the looks of the Civic. And since, you're getting the VTi-S variant (top of the line 1.6 variant of the Civic) as compared to the 1.6E variant (midrange 1.6L variant of the Altis), there is definitely more features in the Civic.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Are you getting the M/T or A/T? I will still be getting the Civic. As both have 1.6 engines, the Civic is significantly more powerful (130ps versus 116ps of the Altis). In fact that figure is still a very respectable figure among 1.6L cars of today. In fact only few have been able to reach this mark (like the new Elantra 1.6DCVVT). I also prefer the looks of the Civic. And since, you're getting the VTi-S variant (top of the line 1.6 variant of the Civic) as compared to the 1.6E variant (midrange 1.6L variant of the Altis), there is definitely more features in the Civic.
    Absolutely agree with you, sir. Guess I just needed validations for my choice. hehe. I'm getting the M/T variant btw, sacrificing comfort for speed and economy. I was able to test drive an Altis yesterday and a Civic this morning. Altis was pretty decent and smooth -- satisfying enough. But the feeling of driving a Civic was more than satisfying; it was exhilarating!

Ergo, I'm getting a CIVIC!

Unless may violent reaction jan..haha

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MusCorleone View Post
    Absolutely agree with you, sir. Guess I just needed validations for my choice. hehe. I'm getting the M/T variant btw, sacrificing comfort for speed and economy. I was able to test drive an Altis yesterday and a Civic this morning. Altis was pretty decent and smooth -- satisfying enough. But the feeling of driving a Civic was more than satisfying; it was exhilarating!

Ergo, I'm getting a CIVIC!

Unless may violent reaction jan..haha
    In terms of the 2 cars that came out during that time ..... Comfort and style the Civic is the better choice ..... Good luck with your new car.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Civic. The Altis is pretty cramped for me, talking about the rear legroom here.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I has an Altis 1.8G and here were my issues

1. Really difficult to close the rear trunk. Brought it back to the dealer and they couldnt solve it
    2. Shocks wala pang 1 year had to replace it via warranty
    3. Space medyo nasisikipan ako, i find my jazz to be more spacious

Wha i like is that its really cheap to maintain

10. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    thanks sirs for the input! any other opinions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast