New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    I'm curious, you checked out the Prado and the Pajero, but you consider the Pajero more than the Prado? Am I missing something here?
    I checked out the Prado yesterday. But I couldn't get in the car because there was a family in it (note, in the showroom) lording it over for more than an hour. So wasn't able to check the interior. Bah.

I'm sure the Prado is an excellent choice but the Pajero comes in cheaper at 2.5M for the 3.8L gas variant. With *killer* sounds. (Mababaw talaga ako; hindi naman ako pang-off road.)

The only reason why a Pajero seems like a winner if I were to go for an SUV is it is the big bro of my current Outlander, has more space and killer sounds, 3.8L gas engine all for 2.5M (less 40K I think!).

If I had 4M, I'd go for a BMW or a Mercedes sedan. (Ulk no budget for that today or anytime soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    So far, only have spotted less than 10 Teanas on the road. Compared to more than 10 Sonatas.

Initial impressions on the Teana is that it's huge. But I'd get an Accord over it in terms of road presence, interior refinement, and reliability.

Don't be fooled by the beige interior of the Teana (well, saw a beige one stuck in Quiapo traffic last month). Beige naturally makes the surroundings look more accomodating and spacy. But it's a nightmare to maintain.

Most car companies nowadays are moving towards turbocharging smaller displacement engines to boost power rather than the usual get-more-cylinders tactic. Stricter emission standards do that it also helps fuel economy for us buyers but you need to take care of your turbo better.

The Legacy's turbocharged 2.5L's engine code is EJ25 I believe. This means that it shares the same with the Impreza WRX. It's enough power to propel the Legacy from 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (6.2 for the Camry V6, 6.8 for the Accord V6, 6.0 for Teana V6) In percentile, it's 13% quicker. Don't underestimate the .7 seconds difference. A Porsche Boxster S with 310hp under its hood reaches 0-62mph in the exact same time.. 5.3seconds. The Subaru Forester 2.5XT also shares the same engine. Driving fun is assured but you can get better money for the interior.

The bad thing with the Legacy is that the interior still needs refinement. If you're looking at performance, you've picked the right car. If you're looking for interior refinement, look at the Accord instead (or Camry if you're spending time at the backseat where it has tons of toys)

Take into account that the Teana (or Altima) has been around since 2006. A year or two ahead of the Accord and is badly in need of a refresh. It's very surprising that Nissan even released it here on 2010 seeing how its refreshed model is inevitable in the US to effectively compete with the Sonata. Sure, it might not arrive in Philippine shores soon, but there's still that annoyance of having an refreshed model out in the world.

Pity the Sonata isn't using GDi NOR the Coupe's turbocharged 2.0L here. Dami excuses ng HARI eh

The Pajero offers alot of bang for your buck. Treat the 4x4 as a little extra. But there's no denying its affordable when it's in the same class as the Toyota Prado (which I don't like the styling personally btw)

I think you'll come over to the Legacy camp if you're performance-oriented once you give it a spin still, I am unsure about its resale value in the Philippines. It's also the same reason why my brother was against my choice in scouting a Sonata Premium. "The US value might be improving but the important thing is domestic/Philippine resale values. Hyundai should prove itself first" We're very practical people
    After sleeping on it last night, I've trimmed my choices down to 2:
    - Sonata Premium
    - Pajero 3.8L

They both have more to give for every peso spent!

Jhnkvn, thanks for this post; helped a lot!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Don't put emphasis on the Rockford Fosgate sound system on the Pajero. You can get a better sounding system just by allocating 30k for it. Don't pay attention to the number of speakers, but rather by the quality of the speakers. RF's isn't really known for making good speakers, but they definitely make excellent amplifiers (do they charge a brand premium? Yes they do)

Hmm, tough choice. Sonata vs Pajero. Personally, I'd get the 1.6M over the 2.5M. That's nearly 900k in savings which is ALOT. The Sonata has a more unique road presence since there are less of them on the road compared to the Pajero. However, it's a 100% city vehicle and, with all sedans out there, you get this antsy feeling every time it rains (post-Ondoy trauma :D). But 900k is sure alot, I can import a big-ass 70" Samsung DLP for the living room, pay for the kid's school tuition for years and still have enough to spend on travel expense. But if you want it short, you can buy a Sonata and a Civic for the same price as a Pajero. If you feel you'll stick to the tarmac rather than soil, I'm wholly biased towards the Sonata and save some pesos on the gas as extra.

Sir Starex_Gold can help you find a dealership offering good discounts *hint hint* hehehe..

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeDefender View Post
    - Sonata Premium
    - Pajero 3.8L

i'd get the sonata premium, and get a killer sound system that is much much better than the one in the pajero and still save money.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    If you won't go offroad and won't be riding with many people, sayang nga yung Pajero.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Baka gusto mo magpa-import sa Hancars ng Sonata 2.0T. Nagtanong ako dati sabi nila 2.1M daw import from USA. Its the same price daw as the GDI because it has lesser features. Maybe you can contact them to make sure. IMHO kapag talagang 2.1M yan for the Sonata Turbo, reasonable price na yan, considering the 277ps engine from a mere 2.0 liters!

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'll get the Pajero then in this last two finalists. Why? I get a big a** vehicle, the space that comes with it and the ride height, and the bonus of people seeing you arrive in your Paj saying, uy naka Pajero ka pala bro, I dunno for some reason most pinoys stare like deer to headlights, when they see someone they know driving one

Drive it for two years, magsawa ka, sell it, then buy a Sonata.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Baka gusto mo magpa-import sa Hancars ng Sonata 2.0T. Nagtanong ako dati sabi nila 2.1M daw import from USA. Its the same price daw as the GDI because it has lesser features. Maybe you can contact them to make sure. IMHO kapag talagang 2.1M yan for the Sonata Turbo, reasonable price na yan, considering the 277ps engine from a mere 2.0 liters!
    I see Still, not a fan of the 2.1M price tag since a Legacy costs at the same range. But it'll be quite a ride kung ipapa-import mo. Unique talaga you shouldn't worry about the engine since there's the locally sold Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T (although iba parin mga compression, bore, etc. AFAIK)

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    I see Still, not a fan of the 2.1M price tag since a Legacy costs at the same range. But it'll be quite a ride kung ipapa-import mo. Unique talaga you shouldn't worry about the engine since there's the locally sold Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T (although iba parin mga compression, bore, etc. AFAIK)
    Yes, but IMHO the Sonata looks way better than the Legacy and it has more power, from a smaller engine displacement even, it is also lighter than the Legacy resulting to better power to weight ratio. Depende na sa tao yan, if you're really after the more sporty driving experience, AWD and the Subaru badge that the Legacy gives.

As for the Pajero, personally I wouldn't be getting one. We already have a Trooper which is way older than the Pajero and yet hindi magkalayo ang power output nila? (160ps/333Nm versus 165ps/373Nm) And take note, the Pajero is much heavier than the Trooper (which doesn't have 4WD). Siguro OK na yan bilhin once the VGT version comes here.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeDefender View Post
    - Sonata Premium
    - Pajero 3.8L

Tough choice... Sonata Premium if you dont mind the plunge in resale value. Its not because its a hyundai (baka me mag defense dyan), but because of the engine displacement. usually cars with 2.0 and up mahina sa resale value. Sabagay 3.8ltrs nga din yung pajero, but it'll hold up better over the years.

Not unless for keeps or lifetime na yan

Pero if it where a diesel pajero with 3.2 VGT at 200hp thats another story.. I'd get that.
    Last edited by blue_gambit; March 7th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Your advice needed! Hyundai Sonata GLS Premium or Ford Everest 4x4 LTD or others