New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i have no question against the sir's 1.6 engine against the 1.6 of mazda3 but how about the other 1.6 engines before..

are they equal in terms of performance or one is good than the other?

1.) toyota corolla 1.6 gli against mazda3 1.6
    2.) mitsubishi lancer mx against mazda3 1.6
    3.) nissan sentra exalta against mazda3 1.6
    4.) honda civic vti against mazda3 1.6

pakidagdag nalang (and i know may kulang pa)

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    mas lakas ata torque ng konti ang gli 1.6, pero pag high revs na panalo ang vti 1.6...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unless the engines are in the same car, with the same transmission, there's no easy point of comparison.

The Mazda3's engine isn't that bad, as far as 1.6s go. It's very smooth and sounds terrific. Unfortunately, it's mated only to a long-geared 4-speed automatic, and it's placed in a very heavy car.

In Europe, this combination is okay, as it nets good fuel consumption on the highway, but in stop-and-go Manila traffic, the transmission is a big negative.

The Mazda3 is slower than most of the above, and fuel consumption is comparable only to the Lancer and the Exalta... but on equal footing, I think it'd do much better.

Note, the Mazda3 is compliant with modern emissions, which the older cars are not. For an idea how modern emissions requirements affect old engines, note the 4G63. In the exact same trim, the old 4G63 netted 145 hp in the Galant GTi. In the modern Lancer GT, it's rated at only 135 hp... and my butt tells me it feels like much less.

And modern emissions compliant engines often have a lot of throttle delay, in order to reduce increased emissions from transient rich or lean conditions from sudden throttle opening and closing. So, for many modern cars, you will feel a one second delay between pressing the gas pedal and actual acceleration (there are even devices out now that are designed to remove this delay).

So... if all of the above engines were put into the Mazda3 and made to be compliant with modern emissions... I doubt that they'd be any better. The VTi might have more upper-end power, but it's never been much of a low-end torquer... and torque is what's needed for the Mazda3's heavy body.

By the time the B14 Sentra went out of production, the extra weight of the Exalta's sound-deadening, accessories, aircon and emissions equipment (engine should have been good for 115 hp, but it was rated at 110) made it very slow (almost as slow as the Mazda3). And the Exalta is around some 150kgs lighter than the Mazda3.

The Mitsubishi Lancer has kept some of its pep, but it also weighs some 150 kgs +++ less than the Mazda3. The GLi... I don't know how much power the venerable 4AFE would have after emissions compliance updating for 2008... and to get it to sound as mellow as the MZR... 95? The same would probably go for any of these engines. The Lancer still gets 110 hp, but I don't know if it's the same engine series, and that one's being phased out next year.
    Last edited by niky; September 4th, 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

ye old trusty 1.6 engines against mazda3 1.6