New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2007
    where planning to buy a 4x4 pick up truck. ano po mas maganda? pros and cons pls. Thanks

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I could only speak for what I have. My vote is Dmax.

For the pros, I could say that Dmax is so good looking both interior and exterior. Engine is powerful but not as powerful compared to its rivals. As long as your purpose is not to race with other 4x4s, you'll be fine. A true workhorse.

For cons, the ride is too bumpy for me especially if the bed is empty. But this is a truck, what could I expect. I rode with my friends hilux, I felt like they're almost the same.

Overall, I love my Dmax. I could never ask for another pickup other than this. In the end, it's still up to you on how and where you will use your truck and it depends on your taste. When it comes to engine, hands down, I would go for navara. Man, that's a beast! It's better if you test drive all the vehicles prior to making your final decision.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What are you buying it for?

If you're buying it for the comfort, as a city car, the Strada is, hands-down, the best choice.

If you're buying for a blend of comfort, utility, fuel economy and performance, the Navara is the king in this segment. (this would be my recommendation).

The Ford Ranger holds a soft spot in my heart. It has performance comparable to the Navara... (in fact, possibly better)... IMHO, these two are the best-handling pick-ups on the market... and it's better off-road due to the better ground-clearance. But it has a terribly hard ride.

The Hilux, performance lags behind the Ranger and Navara, still has that harsh ride.

The D-Max... kinda old, but fuel economy is reportedly good, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What are you buying it for?

If you're buying it for the comfort, as a city car, the Strada is, hands-down, the best choice.

If you're buying for a blend of comfort, utility, fuel economy and performance, the Navara is the king in this segment. (this would be my recommendation).

The Ford Ranger holds a soft spot in my heart. It has performance comparable to the Navara... (in fact, possibly better)... IMHO, these two are the best-handling pick-ups on the market... and it's better off-road due to the better ground-clearance. But it has a terribly hard ride.

The Hilux, performance lags behind the Ranger and Navara, still has that harsh ride.

The D-Max... kinda old, but fuel economy is reportedly good, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    I am planning to buy one too... but not in the very near future.

My previous choices in order of priority were Ranger, DMax and Hilux. I've driven my Bro's ranger (albeit 2x4 only) before and I loved it. I have been in the latest Hilux (a 2x4 too) and I like the interior but I still prefer SR-5 and older looks of the hilux. Dmax though I haven't been inside one, it won my vote primarily because of its looks.

Now, since the arrival of the Navarra, I am starting to like the Nissan trucks again (I loved their pre-Eagle series pickups). Hence, my latest short list Navarra/Ranger (sigh, now I'm having a hard time choosing. :-P) and Dmax (and maybe Hilux).

These are for my "harabas" pickups wish list. If "porma" pickups, It'd be Strada (but this could be included in my harabas pickup too after seeing the stradas at work thread), Hilux and Dmax.

Which one's the best? IMHO, it's one thing to view it from the market's point of view -- Best Pickup of the Year so and so, and another thing to view it from the consumer's point of view. The best one in the market may actually not suit your needs. So, my suggestion is answer Niky's query first -- "What are you buying it for?". Only then can you answer what would be best for your needs. Ofcourse if it's a "wants" purchase, and you care about the general points of view of the market, then go for the market's best.

Or, out of fun, narrow your choices down to three and send an email to Topgear and get featured in RCWC. :D That would shed more light for people who might share the same choices as you do when they read that article.

.02 hth.
    Last edited by B2Bomber; August 16th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

whats d best 4x4 pick up truck.. isuzu dmax, mitsu. strada, nissan navara or hilux