New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    *solidsnake4747:

My take on this is you will never know how reliable a car brand or model is until you have owned one. We can input all the vehicles that we have driven and owned here and share our experiences, but remember, it doesn't mean that you will have the same story.

Just look at one thread of a car brand here, same vehicles but different problems.

It doesn't mean that if we both have a (car brand and model), it means that they will end up with the same fate considering you said 10 years. Maybe yours would be more problematic than mine or vice versa. Maybe in 3 yrs time I am still loving my car and you are cursing yours and vice versa.

We can only give you an idea but we will never know what will happen.

There are a lot of variables that you should factor such as traffic, road condition, location and most especially the driver and owner.

We can both have (car brand and model) but I am always using it in the city then yours is used mostly in an area where fuel quality is questionable and roads are filled with potholes, for sure the wear and tear of parts in your vehicle will be much faster than mine.

My personal example is our 1991 Toyota Corolla (already sold) and 2001 Honda Civic. Fast forward both vehicles to 10 years. The Corolla, I just hated that vehicle already in 2001. It kept on bogging down, overheating and so many different problems. I wouldn't even bring it somewhere far like Tagaytay coz it will overheat. Then we already sold it with I think 148k kms in the odometer. The Civic, it is still good until now and close to 200k kms traveled, no engine overhaul and no transmission overhaul. Its heydays are gone but I still have the confidence to bring it to our province in La Union. When I talk about problems, the Civic is less problematic in the sense that when it gets fixed, it gets fixed. Unlike the Corolla, when one problem gets fixed, another one pops up and it goes in circles that made me think that the Toyota Gods were playing with me. Dang that car!hehe

I agree that if you want a car that will give you a lesser headache, go with the ones that have lesser electronics especially in the engine. But it has a downside. It is less or way less refined, slower and if ever you have driven a vehicle with a better engine, you would start to think if you have made the right decision. Like from my example, the Corolla has lesser electronics so lesser parts to bog down, a lot of available parts, a lot of mechanics know how to repair it, blah blah blah as compared to the Civic, but from my experience, if I were to choose to drive a 91 Corolla and 01 Civic, I wouldn't even go near the Corolla and go straight to the Civic.

Try to go to dealerships and look at the vehicles that they are repairing or servicing especially the ones that are perceived as durable and reliable, try to ask what are the problems. The Crosswind for example. I have seen a lot of Crosswinds being repaired/serviced in Isuzu Q. Ave when I used to go there before for PMS. Also in Isuzu Commonwealth. When I asked the SA, they said it's the injector, clutch, it's slow, it produces a lot of black smoke and so on. Those were some of the problems that the SA's told me before. Now if I based my decision on what I had observed, it would make me think that if I buy a vehicle like that, I might end up having the same problems as well. I thought they are durable? They are just same as any other vehicle that is newer. Their only upside is they have cheaper parts and maintenance. And those vehicles don't even look like 10 years old or older. Perhaps the same goes in other dealerships.

All car brands have lemon units and you are very unlucky if among all the thousands of units that they are producing everyday, you will end up with one.

Take note that if your vehicle is done in the dealership, it doesn't mean that it is always or will be more reliable in the long run. It only takes an "OJT" mechanic to f*ck up your vehicle and give you horror stories and experiences. Remember that you don't see what they are doing with your vehicle so they can steal every bolt, screw or even exchange parts there without you knowing it.

I am not really sure what vehicle makes in your choices are Japan CBU but I know the Toyota Super Grandia is a Japan CBU. Maybe yes, maybe no that a Japan CBU is more reliable or better than a non Japan CBU unit coz as far as I know, their difference is the tax and if there is a difference in the features, it is very minimal.

In buying a vehicle, yes it pays to read, research ask for pieces of advise and yes reliability and dependability should be the top priority. At the same time, choose the vehicle that you see yourself driving or being driven in too. It is hard to be in a vehicle or drive a vehicle that you only bought because you think that it is the only dependable and reliable vehicle in the market and when you see the vehicle that you really like, you always question yourself why didn't you buy that instead. What makes it even more difficult to swallow is 10 years after, ok pa din yung vehicle niya and mas pugak pugak pa ung sayo na akala mo 10 years ago ay reliable and durable.hehe

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    TS: are you going to buy a car or are you going to use us as a part of your case study? Dang.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solidsnake4747 View Post
    UPDATE

Questions and Answers:
    1. "san ka ba mag base ng reliability? pwede kasi na kaya hindi nasisira kasi bihira gamitin. pwede naman na madalas masira kasi bugbog naman sa gamit?" - Hindi siya bihira gamitin, hindi rin siya bug-bug sa pag-gamit. It is somewhere in between where I would drive it every day pero di naman bugbugin ng todo. Average distance would be 6-8km per trip (Point A to Point B and then turning off the engine and leaving the car for several hours before going to another trip again). Average distance per day would be 32km - 40km.

For me, yung brand ay part lang ng reliability na hinahanap mo TS.

Yung isang element e yung driver o yung gumagamit, idagdag mo na yung availability ng parts sa market.

Kung nakaka-intindi yung driver sa mechanics ng isang sasakyan, makakatulong yung para tumagal o maging reliable yung car. Yung common sa market na car ay makakatulong para mas tumagal na magamit yung car.

Bottomline, mojority of the car exist on our road is a plus (dun sa level ng car na gusto mo). Knowledge of the driver who will use the car. lastly, availability of the parts.

Sample tungkol sa isang pyesa ng car;
    a. nagpalit ng brake pad at 20k-km, driver/owner 1. -- ginamit na uli pag labas sa casa
    b. nagpalit ng brake pad at 30k-km, driver/owner 2. -- na-tengga kasi namahalan dahil sumabay pa sa change oil.
    ginamit na lang yung isang sasakyan sa ngayon habang naghahanap ng mas murang set ng brake pad.

driver 1 - kamas-kamas mag-brake kaya 20k-km pa lang palit na ng brake pad
    driver 2 - kuripot gumastos pero inabot ng 30k-km yung brake pad nya bago magpalit.

Note: 47k-km plus na yung brake pad ko pero hindi pa napapalitan.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    That's damn good right Bro 👍!
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    *solidsnake4747:

My take on this is you will never know how reliable a car brand or model is until you have owned one. We can input all the vehicles that we have driven and owned here and share our experiences, but remember, it doesn't mean that you will have the same story.

Just look at one thread of a car brand here, same vehicles but different problems.

It doesn't mean that if we both have a (car brand and model), it means that they will end up with the same fate considering you said 10 years. Maybe yours would be more problematic than mine or vice versa. Maybe in 3 yrs time I am still loving my car and you are cursing yours and vice versa.

We can only give you an idea but we will never know what will happen.

There are a lot of variables that you should factor such as traffic, road condition, location and most especially the driver and owner.

We can both have (car brand and model) but I am always using it in the city then yours is used mostly in an area where fuel quality is questionable and roads are filled with potholes, for sure the wear and tear of parts in your vehicle will be much faster than mine.

My personal example is our 1991 Toyota Corolla (already sold) and 2001 Honda Civic. Fast forward both vehicles to 10 years. The Corolla, I just hated that vehicle already in 2001. It kept on bogging down, overheating and so many different problems. I wouldn't even bring it somewhere far like Tagaytay coz it will overheat. Then we already sold it with I think 148k kms in the odometer. The Civic, it is still good until now and close to 200k kms traveled, no engine overhaul and no transmission overhaul. Its heydays are gone but I still have the confidence to bring it to our province in La Union. When I talk about problems, the Civic is less problematic in the sense that when it gets fixed, it gets fixed. Unlike the Corolla, when one problem gets fixed, another one pops up and it goes in circles that made me think that the Toyota Gods were playing with me. Dang that car!hehe

I agree that if you want a car that will give you a lesser headache, go with the ones that have lesser electronics especially in the engine. But it has a downside. It is less or way less refined, slower and if ever you have driven a vehicle with a better engine, you would start to think if you have made the right decision. Like from my example, the Corolla has lesser electronics so lesser parts to bog down, a lot of available parts, a lot of mechanics know how to repair it, blah blah blah as compared to the Civic, but from my experience, if I were to choose to drive a 91 Corolla and 01 Civic, I wouldn't even go near the Corolla and go straight to the Civic.

Try to go to dealerships and look at the vehicles that they are repairing or servicing especially the ones that are perceived as durable and reliable, try to ask what are the problems. The Crosswind for example. I have seen a lot of Crosswinds being repaired/serviced in Isuzu Q. Ave when I used to go there before for PMS. Also in Isuzu Commonwealth. When I asked the SA, they said it's the injector, clutch, it's slow, it produces a lot of black smoke and so on. Those were some of the problems that the SA's told me before. Now if I based my decision on what I had observed, it would make me think that if I buy a vehicle like that, I might end up having the same problems as well. I thought they are durable? They are just same as any other vehicle that is newer. Their only upside is they have cheaper parts and maintenance. And those vehicles don't even look like 10 years old or older. Perhaps the same goes in other dealerships.

All car brands have lemon units and you are very unlucky if among all the thousands of units that they are producing everyday, you will end up with one.

Take note that if your vehicle is done in the dealership, it doesn't mean that it is always or will be more reliable in the long run. It only takes an "OJT" mechanic to f*ck up your vehicle and give you horror stories and experiences. Remember that you don't see what they are doing with your vehicle so they can steal every bolt, screw or even exchange parts there without you knowing it.

I am not really sure what vehicle makes in your choices are Japan CBU but I know the Toyota Super Grandia is a Japan CBU. Maybe yes, maybe no that a Japan CBU is more reliable or better than a non Japan CBU unit coz as far as I know, their difference is the tax and if there is a difference in the features, it is very minimal.

In buying a vehicle, yes it pays to read, research ask for pieces of advise and yes reliability and dependability should be the top priority. At the same time, choose the vehicle that you see yourself driving or being driven in too. It is hard to be in a vehicle or drive a vehicle that you only bought because you think that it is the only dependable and reliable vehicle in the market and when you see the vehicle that you really like, you always question yourself why didn't you buy that instead. What makes it even more difficult to swallow is 10 years after, ok pa din yung vehicle niya and mas pugak pugak pa ung sayo na akala mo 10 years ago ay reliable and durable.hehe

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
What is the top 2 most reliable brand new cars(2014-2015) here in the Philippines?