New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leodawesome View Post
    Less than 2 year old cars and on those miles may ganyang issues na kagad? That's very unlikely, and very unlucky. Considering they are 'best sellers', and nearing a decade in the market. Mass production ba ang culprit?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Grabe bro! Bat parang ang sirain ng sasakyan nyo? None of our vehicles ranging from year model 2001 to year model 2013 have ever changed shocks yet.

Our family friend's 2009 Fortuner and our 2013 Strada have had no issues whatsoever so far.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Just sharing our experiences and I'm not downplaying the quality of the vehicles above, especially of the Montero and Fortuner.

The Montero issued to us by Diamond Motors was problematic, and the repairs were covered by warranty. So far, no problem encountered since the last CASA visit (a month ago). My sister is still happy using it as her daily drive.

The defects of my cousin's Fortuner are legit. He drives it to their construction site every now and then that's why "maybe?" maraming repairs. Some of his colleagues drive Ford Rangers, but they never had the same problems.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mykpogi View Post
    Just sharing our experiences and I'm not downplaying the quality of the vehicles above, especially of the Montero and Fortuner.

The Montero issued to us by Diamond Motors was problematic, and the repairs were covered by warranty. So far, no problem encountered since the last CASA visit (a month ago). My sister is still happy using it as her daily drive.

The defects of my cousin's Fortuner are legit. He drives it to their construction site every now and then that's why "maybe?" maraming repairs. Some of his colleagues drive Ford Rangers, but they never had the same problems.
    So nabiktima talaga kayo nung so-called sudden unintended acceleration issue ng Montero? Talagang tumakbo ng mag-isa?

Your cousin most likely was unlucky enough to get a lemon unit. Toyota is famous for reliability. Our 2001 Revo has just had it's brake system replaced recently, at 13 years and 111tkms.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post
    In the BMW flexi lease all pms costs are included in the monthly. Its also under warranty so if anything goes wrong, they pay. The insurance is also included. You just have to put gas and tires in it. The mileage limits are high enough for the average owner.

Its just a matter of time before toyota/honda/ford implement this as well on their passenger cars. Honda could do this because of their cars ridiculously impressive resale values.
    Again... luxury vehicles.

They fold the earnings into the interest rate fudge factor... and at the end, you still don't own the car. So what happens is, you're saving on paper versus in-house financing, but you're still losing out versus outside bank financing when you take into account you don't own the car at the end.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    the most reliable, is the one you religiously maintain. whatever the brand.
    so there!
    I had a 2003 iDSI cvt city that I religiously maintained for just over 10 years.
    During that time, the only major issue I encountered was in 2013 when one of the supports of my engine broke when I stupidly failed to avoid a nasty half opened manhole.
    Never had any problems with the CVT (or maybe I was just lucky).

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I would say Lexus is the most-reliable car brand... We don't have data locally but in the US its the gold standard of reliability...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    I would say Lexus is the most-reliable car brand... We don't have data locally but in the US its the gold standard of reliability...
    what about you, sir? i see you have the marquee under your handle.. what is your experiential say?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    what about you, sir? i see you have the marquee under your handle.. what is your experiential say?

Mine is the black one, selfie lang with the LFA

I say its great! I have a 15 year old Lexus IS 200. 1999 model and until now no issues whatsoever. Only has aesthetic issues like scratches which can be fixed naman by full detailing. Of course the interior has wear and tear. Mechanically no issues, only had to do regular servicing like oil change and filter changes. Did alignments as well. I have changed the various fluids din over its lifespan. Wala pang major parts napapalitan like radiator or any engine or transmission or suspension issues. I did resurface the plates once and changed brake pads 3X since. And changed the timing belt once last year.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    go for isuzu crosswind kahit whole day ka nka idle and nka on ang AC no problem encounter. nangyari nung nanood kmi ng motocross at bilad pa yun sa araw. reliable at durable talaga ang isuzu.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    UPDATE

This is a long post but if you are really a car enthusiast/expert then you should most likely read the whole post:

Here is the list of cars suggested by members who posted in this thread:
    1. Isuzu Alterra urban cruiser
    -2005 model - repairs: 1x SCV change, regular pms (every 6 months) sa shell.
    2. Toyota Innova
    No Major Breakdowns, just wear and tear
    3. Isuzu Crosswind/Sportivo
    - Minimal electronics, no computer box, sturdy chassis, fuel efficient (though slow and rather noisy) engine. You'd have to live with no ABS and airbags though.
    4. Toyota Vios
    5. Toyota Corolla
    6. Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    -However one member had a very problematic Montero Sport, so I am not completely sure about this
    7. Toyota Fortuner
    8. Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 (Korean)
    9. Mitsubishi Adventure
    - Minimal electronics, no computer box, sturdy chassis, fuel efficient (though slow and rather noisy) engine. You'd have to live with no ABS and airbags though.
    10. Rav4
    -Rav4 4x2 6at
    11. Honda City
    -2003 iDSL CVT was not problematic

Some of the members here suggested vehicles that are not included in the classification that I posted so I didn't include them in the list above.

Summary of all the tips mentioned:
    1. Buy car with least amount of electornics, gizmos, and modifications
    2. Toyota is currently the most reliable brand
    3. Even toyota could produce lemon units
    4. To get the chance of having the most reliable unit go for the CBU Japan made car (CBU-Complete Built Up[Means the unit is completely built in japan])
    5. Someone posted this link about the http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/06/top-ranked-new-cars-initial-quality-vehicle-class.html but I am not sure if this is applicable to the vehicles sold here in the Philippines. Nevertheless according to this link here are the top rank new cars in initial quality:
    a.Sub-Compact cars - #1.Hyundai accent, #2.Mazda2
    b.Compact cars - #1.Hyundai Elantra, #2. Toyota Corolla, #3. Honda Civic
    A lot of the vehicles listed aren't even sold in the Philippines and some are out of the budget.
    6.Lexus is the most reliable car brand however their cars surpasses the budget (1.7m)

Questions and Answers:
    1. "san ka ba mag base ng reliability? pwede kasi na kaya hindi nasisira kasi bihira gamitin. pwede naman na madalas masira kasi bugbog naman sa gamit?" - Hindi siya bihira gamitin, hindi rin siya bug-bug sa pag-gamit. It is somewhere in between where I would drive it every day pero di naman bugbugin ng todo. Average distance would be 6-8km per trip (Point A to Point B and then turning off the engine and leaving the car for several hours before going to another trip again). Average distance per day would be 32km - 40km.

TEMPORARY CONCLUSION
    Several vehicles have been mentioned however these vehicles have specific variants. Here is a table showing the prices of all of these vehicles that I am considering based on my own research and based on the suggestions of the members who posted in this thread. This table is sorted by preference wherein the most preferred would be starting from the top(corolla) and the least would be at the bottom(Adventure). Prices are updated as of August 2014.:

Vehicle_____________________________Manual Transmission_______Automatic Transmission
    Corolla Altis 1.6 E______________________________P 836,000
    Corolla Altis 1.6 G______________________________P 879,000______________P 935,000
    Corolla Altis 1.6 V_________________________________________________ ___P 999,000
    Corolla Altis 2.0 V_________________________________________________ ___P 1,201,000
    Vios 1.3 Base__________________________________P 592,000
    Vios 1.3 J_____________________________________P 630,000
    Vios 1.3 E_____________________________________P 727,000 _____________P 762,000
    Vios 1.5 G_____________________________________P 812,000_____________P 847,000
    City 1.5 E_____________________________________P 756,000_____________P 796,000
    City 1.5 E Modulo Utility___________________________________________ ____P 821,000
    City 1.5 VX________________________________________________ _________P 880,000
    City 1.5 VX Aero Sports____________________________________________ ___P 935,000
    City 1.5 VX+_______________________________________________ _________P 970,000
    Fortuner 2.7 G VVT-i 2WD_____________________________________________P 1,277,000
    Fortuner 2.5 G D-4D VNT 2WD____________________P 1,290,000
    Fortuner 2.5 G D-4D VNT 2WD__________________________________________P 1,360,000
    Fortuner 2.5 V D-4D VNT 2WD__________________________________________P 1,490,000
    Mazda 3 1.5 V Skyactiv 4DR____________________________________________P 945,000
    Mazda 3 2.0 R Skyactiv 4DR____________________________________________P 1,195,000
    Lancer EX 1.6 GLX______________________________P 840,000 _____________P 870,000
    Lancer EX 1.6 MX________________________________________________ ____P 940,000
    Lancer EX 2.0 GT-A_________________________________________________ __P 1,195,000
    Civic 1.8 S __________________________________________________ _______P 978,000
    Civic 1.8 E Modulo____________________________________________ _______P 1,118,000
    Civic 2.0 EL MUGEN_____________________________________________ _____P 1,368,000
    RAV4 2WD __________________________________________________ _______P 1,357,000
    RAV4 2WD Full Option ________________________________________________P 1,581,000
    ASX GLS 2WD_______________________________________________ _______P 1,275,000
    Alterra Urban Cruiser X 4WD___________________________________________P 1,718,000
    Innova 2.0 J__________________________________P 832,000
    Innova 2.5 J__________________________________P 887,000
    Innova 2.0 E__________________________________P 942,000______________P 1,007,000
    Innova 2.5 E__________________________________P 997,000______________P 1,062,000
    Innova 2.0 G__________________________________P 1,058,000____________P 1,123,000
    Innova 2.5 G__________________________________P 1,113,000____________P 1,178,000
    Innova 2.0 V_________________________________________________ _______P 1,206,000
    Innova 2.5 V_________________________________________________ _______P 1,261,000
    Crosswind XS_________________________________P 750,000
    Crosswind XL_________________________________P 794,000
    Crosswind XT_________________________________P 883,000
    Crosswind Sportivo JS 9-Seater___________________P 1,130,000
    Crosswind Sportivo X 8-Seater____________________P 1,130,000_____________P 1,195,000
    Adventure TX_________________________________P 680,000
    Adventure GX_________________________________P 725,000
    Adventure GLX Updated_________________________P 860,000
    Adventure GLS Sport Updated____________________P 920,000
    Adventure Super Sport__________________________P 965,000

It is arranged this way because the my order of preference would be sedans, SUV's, lastly MPV's or AUV's. It does not mean that since my budget is 1.7m then I should go for the most expensive vehicle in the list, remember that it is also a plus to be able to choose the vehicle that is still the most reliable despite its relatively cheaper price. I am not that sure about Mazda and Mitsubishi but I just included these two because they are japanese brands. You can clearly see that this is divided by the type of transmission that is offered in each vehicle. As of now, my preference of the type of transmission would be 50/50 on Automatic(CVT/Traditional Automatic/Dual-Clutch) vs Manual Transmission. I am still researching more on this subject matter but I have read that the manual transmission would be phased out(not completely) in the future since its advantages are becoming fewer as the Automatic transmission technology progresses. Notice how Mazda and Honda no longer provide a manual transmission variant for the Mazda3 and the Civic.

If I were to choose a vehicle with a manual transmission then my choices would be ranked like this:
    1. Corolla Altis 1.6 G__________P 879,000
    2. Vios 1.5 G________________P 812,000
    3. City 1.5 E_________________P 756,000
    4. Fortuner 2.7 G VVT-i 2WD____P 1,277,000
    5. Lancer EX 1.6 GLX__________P 840,000
    6. Crosswind XT______________P 883,000
    7. Innova 2.5 E_______________P 997,000
    8. Adventure Super Sport_______P 965,000

If I were to choose a vehicle with an automatic transmission then my choices would be ranked like this:
    1. Corolla Altis 2.0 V____________P 1,201,000
    2. Corolla Altis 1.6 V____________P 999,000
    3. Vios 1.5 G__________________P 847,000
    4. City 1.5 VX_________________P 880,000
    5. Mazda 3 2.0 R Skyactiv 4DR____P 1,195,000
    6. Mazda 3 1.5 V Skyactiv 4DR____P 945,000
    7. Fortuner 2.5 G D4D VNT 2WD___P 1,360,000
    8. RAV4 2WD__________________P 1,357,000
    9. Lancer EX 2.0 GT-A ___________P 1,195,000
    10. Lancer EX 1.6 MX___________P 940,000
    11. Civic 2.0 EL MUGEN_________P 1,368,000
    12. Civic 1.8 E Modulo__________P 1,118,000
    13. Alterra Urban Cruiser X 4WD__P 1,718,000
    14. Crosswind Sportivo(8seatr)___P 1,195,000
    15. Innova 2.5 G______________P 1,178,000

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    CONTINUATION

Notice how all of these vehicles are Japanese, I didn't include korean(Hyundai) and US(Ford) brands because it has been said too many times before that Japanese is superior in terms of reliability. Although the Isuzu Alterra is dubbed as the most reliable vehicle according to the members here, the reason why it is nearly at the bottom of the list is because of its price which is slightly above the maximum budget. This is still incomplete but my temporary final verdict for the top 2 most reliable brand new cars(2014-2015) here in the Philippines according to my preference would be:
    1. 2014 Toyota Corolla
    2. 2014 Toyota Vios

The Toyota Corolla has been tried and tested for its reliability and it is the best selling vehicle in the world. My dilemma right now is whether to buy the manual transmission variant of the Corolla or the CVT variant of the Corolla. This is the first time that Toyota has installed a CVT in a Corolla and I am not quite sure yet in terms of its reliability. If the CVT variant is indeed reliable then my next dilemma would be choosing between the 1.6V variant or the 2.0V variant. Is the 200k peso difference worth it? Three things that the 2.0v variant has that the 1.6V doesn't have are the leather seats, the one-tone color of the interior which is black, and the paddle shifters. I really despise the two-tone color of the 1.6V's interior since it is beige+black which doesn't look good to me at all. Then again I am reminded that the vehicle with the least amount of electronics, gizmos, and modifications would be the most reliable as suggested by one of the members here. I am also trying to figure out the fuel consumption difference between the 2.0V and the 1.6V. Remember that I am driving alone 60-80% of the time.

Next stop would be the 2014 Toyota Vios. I haven't thoroughly gathered enough information about this vehicle yet but one thing I know is that a lot of taxi franchise opt to use this brand of vehicle most probably due to its durability/reliability. Its fuel efficiency has decreased due to its increase in body weight as compared to the old models and it uses the same engine. I am not sure if the 1.5 engine displacement variant is more reliable or more fuel efficient than the 1.3 variant and whether or not the 1.3 is underpowered or not.

Comparing the 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis and the 2014 Toyota Vios:
    There is a very small price difference between the 1.5G Toyota Vios manual/automatic transmission variant and the 1.6G/V Toyota Corolla Altis manual/automatic transmission variant.
    1. 1.5G Vios over the 1.6G/V Corolla Altis
    a. Leather seats vs Fabric seats
    b. Head unit easier to change (To 7-8" Touchscreen/DVD Player since it is not integrated with the dashboard)
    2. 1.6G/V Corolla Altis over the 1.5G Vios
    a. New CVT of the Corolla over the old 4speedAT of the vios (Not sure if new CVT is more reliable than old 4-speedAT / 6-speed manual transmission over the 5-speed manual transmission of the vios
    Would it be better to get the Compact Corolla Altis or the Sub-compact Vios?

Another thing that we should give importance is the quality of services done by its CASA(Original dealer). I am from Davao and I wonder which CASA here provides the best services. The quality of CASA's services would has a major contribution to the vehicles reliability. Another factor would also be the availability of spare parts. Toyota is known to have sufficient availability of spare parts especially with the Vios since the majority of taxis here are Vioses.

One issue I would like to point it is how we could know if the vehicle we are buying is CBU Japan or not. All I know is that the majority toyotas sold here in the Philippines are either made in Thailand or here in the Philippines. I wonder how we could manage to buy a CBU Japan 2014 Toyota/Mazda/Honda/Isuzu/Mitsubishi instead ones that are made in other countries. CBU Japan built vehicles are a lot more reliable than the ones made in other countries.

This is an only temporary conclusion. I still haven't thoroughly researched yet on the other vehicles. Any input or arguments from you guys who are reading this are appreciated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
What is the top 2 most reliable brand new cars(2014-2015) here in the Philippines?