New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    In Reality.. yes. AT, much F/C efficient na, more on "Drive-by-Wire"

Unlike sa MT, paunti-unti, outdated na lahat ng car manufacturers, pag dating sa MT..

kaya nga, mas magiging profit ang AT sa car manufacturer, dahil mas mabilis ang "wear-and-tear"..

unlike sa MT, yung ibang brand nga, wala nang clutch fluid, more on electronic na..

saka once na discharged ang battery, hindi na pwedeng itulak.. dahil sa ECU, once na pinilit, matinding reset sa ECU..
    (Relearning) pugak-pugak ang makina (limp-mode)

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i am wondering,
    has someone actually done local testing, that shows AT giving more km/li than the MT version, in our local everyday driving conditions?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    They have done world wide testing. That should be enough.

If you are talking about driving conditions in edsa and Metro Manila.... Who knows? Rest of the Philippines ? Driving conditions will vary greatly. But i think a worldwide testing regimen and sample size should settle the debate.

Toyota which has a 1.3 vios with both a cvt and a manual states the CVT is more economical.

But if you want to hold on to the notion that the manual is still superior... Thats fine. To each his own as they say.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Not necessarily true. Better clutches, Rev matching on downshifts, lighter transmissions, better feel, stronger shift forks, automated manuals, etc are all avenues of development that can be pursued.

Just saying that all the automakers and all the R&D has moved on and away from manuals except for 1 off performance variants and econo applications.

yeah that's what i'm saying. they only do R&D if there's ROI so they're not going to improve upon the 80's or 90's m/t for use in the current-gen base model econocars. and the improvements you've mentioned are likely implemented in niche products already, unlikely to trickle down to econoboxes for cost reasons

as for f/c:

slushboxes are inefficient, that's just the nature of the beast.

DCT is like a computer controlled m/t with odd gears on one clutch and even gears in another clutch. so just like m/t the fc depends on how smart the "driver" i.e. tranny computer, is

CVT is the most fuel-efficient

AMT is like a single-clutch DCT

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    One good reason to buy MT is if you do not know how to drive an MT. It's a good skill to have. It's also is more challenging and maybe, more fun.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by i.am.aids View Post
    One good reason to buy MT is if you do not know how to drive an MT. It's a good skill to have. It's also is more challenging and maybe, more fun.
    Driving a slow MT car will be more of a chore than fun. I know there will be purists but good-handling MT cars with decent power outputs (150Hp or more) are already on the 2M price range (MX5 MT, BRZ/86 MT, or WRX MT). Maybe something like the Jazz MT would offer some sort of fun with its good-powered 1.5L engine (120hp) and decent handling.

Most of us here have learned to drive with MT but a lot have transitioned to using AT cars for various reasons. Nowadays, the MT option is the base model option among econobox cars. Most manufacturers have moved away from offering fully-featured MT option as sales were horribly low. It was more than 10 years ago when Honda stopped selling the Civic FD 2.0MT, Ford cut off from their model lineup the Focus 2.0 TDI MT, and Mitsubishi released the Lancer 2.0 EX GT MT.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Driving a slow MT car will be more of a chore than fun. I know there will be purists but good-handling MT cars with decent power outputs (150Hp or more) are already on the 2M price range (MX5 MT, BRZ/86 MT, or WRX MT). Maybe something like the Jazz MT would offer some sort of fun with its good-powered 1.5L engine (120hp) and decent handling.
    "Fun" is a relative term. What might be fun to some, might be a chore to others. The fun part in driving MT would always be debatable but the skill part would not be (or at least, less debatable).

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    For long drive at/cvt is a better choice for me hindi ka hirap kahit spirited zigzag driving, both hands nasa manibela.

Yung iba AT transmission has ten gears kaya malakas, matulin at matipid. Hirap siguro kung manual yun.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Laging merong pro's and con's..

AT.. Andyan lahat ng comfort, pero yung lagpas comfort zone naman pag dating sa "maintenance" given na..

MT.. Nakakapagod i-drive, lagpas comfort zone, pero ang comfort naman, basta hindi lang "clutch" driver, at properly used ang certain gear shifting sa MT.. 10yrs bago gumastos...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    FYI, according to the FB Facebook page, if you are qualified for driving an A/T transmission, you are not qualified to drive a manual. It is in the restrictions. Dagdag kaalaman lang tsikoteers. I am not saying you should not, but just good to know this fact

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
what should we buy automatic or manual transmission for fuel efficiency and comfort?