New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    May 2004
    I'll take the Benz bec. it's already a classic

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    IMO those are not exotic enough. If you want exotic, get an MG, TVR, Lotus, etc.

To answer you, get the Benz. We have one, and have no regrets. Great car, very practical, very modern even for its model year, and very safe. The 87 300TD is the only diesel w124 that's pre 1990. After that there are the newer ones but they've been said to not be as reliable as the pre 1990 models. The 88 should still look old due to the differences in body cladding and interior trim compared to the later models that have the two tone design instead of the moulding strips that run the car's doors.

A 230TE w124 wagon should be good enough for your use, the 300TE is a bit thirsty on fuel esp with Manila traffic conditions. Goodluck with your choice!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Given your choices i'd definitely go fro the 124 wagon... especially if you can get a 300TE turbo diesel version with your budget.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Looking at your acquisition budget, and looking at your "Cons" on each model, looks like you're better off with the Nissan Verita, or any other 'unique' Jap cars with plenty of parts and shops to work on them. Euro cars are expensive to maintain(at least here in the Phils), lalo na if something major breaks. Not sure though how much cash ideally you have to have lying around for impromptu repair.

By the way, i think you mean is you need something different, not 'exotic'.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Orig vs. orig, parts prices between Euro cars and Jap cars are pretty close. The Asians do have the advantage of third party replacement parts. Something not very common on Euro vehicles except for consumables (e.g. replacement filters and suspension components are available.

What's amazing is the expensive labor some shops will charge just for being a Euro car. A good service manual is a good investment and can save you lots of trips to the mechanic. The 850 service manual I have is not exactly brimming with information, but it does cover the basic stuff and the pictures help a lot.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
What to select from thes 'exotic' cars?