New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Err. The Alterra is old, ugly and expensive. For it's price, IMO it's not worth it anymore ... it's like you're paying millions for an old car. If you really want an Alterra, get the 2nd hand units ... much more acceptable but for a brand new one ? No thanks.

The Montero is way way better in terms of it's style. Though it's entertainment system is not as good as what the Alterra offers, you'd get your money's worth just by it's looks.

And yes, the Alterra is loooonggg. You may have a hard time to park, maneuver it around.

But, that's just me. You may want to take a test drive for both for you to have a feeling on how does each vehicle drive, perform etc.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    ^ yun nga lang matagal na siya sa labas....

at ang unang naiisip ko pag may alterra ka, parang isa kang ranchero hehehe

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    re FC, 3.0l ang alterra. ang montero 4x2 naman ay 2.5l. minimal difference in FC i guess.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Alterra for me, pero mas bago kasi ang monty kaya medyo kasawa na ang alterra, hindi din naman ganun ka sagwa yung itsura ng alterra eh, my classmate has one, pero mas pogi talaga yung monty! Pero alterra na lang if you don't mind the looks of it compared to MS.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JJGF View Post
    i have a montero....at twice pa lang ako nakasakay sa alterra

riding comfort - alterra, lalo na sa long trips
    space sa loob - alterra
    FC - alterra
    LOOKS - syempre montero hehehe
    This post says a lot I think

Still I can't help thinking the Alterra is priced a little too high for what it offers. That's just me.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Kikay17,
    This is from a Monty owner:
    riding comfort - alterra, lalo na sa long trips
    space sa loob - alterra
    FC - alterra
    LOOKS - syempre montero hehehe

I think you're scouting for a family SUV right? Nowadays you have to be realistic in terms of economy and long term durability, both of those you will find in the Alterra since it has been tried and tested starting 2005. What can I say I would still go for the Isuzu Alterra if lm not just for the "porma" but for the long run - a SUV for keeps!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You're better off with either KIA Sorento R 2.2L (CRDI EVGT) or Santa Fe R 2.2L, both having power of about 200hp and a 6-speed AT. These cars also use the best injector in town, Bosch of Germany while your two choices use only denso, which kind of sucks compared to the German.

Hyundai-KIA, Nissan (new engines) and Ford all use Bosch fuel injectors (hence the obvious disparity of power output compared to other brands). When your fuel injector fails, your engine is dead. A brand new denso injector apparently costs 180,000 IIRC.

Hyundai and KIA are also more luxurious inside and out. You also get 5yrs warranty/160,000kms (KIA).

Among your choices, I'd go with Montero Sport. Mitsubishi has had more luck in its denso equipped engines although it does have the SCV failure problem (which is pretty minor since it's less than 20k to replace, compared to the problems of the similarly denso equipped Toyota D-4D).

Isuzu dumped all its garbage models (Trooper with recalled denso injectors) here so I don't really have any trust in them at all since they view Filipinos as idiots for selling their overseas-banned products here. There's a thread somewhere about that here, it's really informative.

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    thx po tlga sa mga replies.. ehehe.. uhm, actually, i dont mind the looks at all. i mean i like old stuff looks but what really concerns me is the kind of music that it gives, don't like the basag sound when im on a trip, and the space inside, i wna ride in comfort. btw, is the alterra tall like a sportivo?? not like driving an auto or a tucson or sorento? one of my likes kc, is the height.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    You're better off with either KIA Sorento R 2.2L (CRDI EVGT) or Santa Fe R 2.2L, both having power of about 200hp and a 6-speed AT. These cars also use the best injector in town, Bosch of Germany while your two choices use only denso, which kind of sucks compared to the German.

Hyundai-KIA, Nissan (new engines) and Ford all use Bosch fuel injectors (hence the obvious disparity of power output compared to other brands). When your fuel injector fails, your engine is dead. A brand new denso injector apparently costs 180,000 IIRC.

Hyundai and KIA are also more luxurious inside and out. You also get 5yrs warranty/160,000kms (KIA).

Among your choices, I'd go with Montero Sport. Mitsubishi has had more luck in its denso equipped engines although it does have the SCV failure problem (which is pretty minor since it's less than 20k to replace, compared to the problems of the similarly denso equipped Toyota D-4D).

Isuzu dumped all its garbage models (Trooper with recalled denso injectors) here so I don't really have any trust in them at all since they view Filipinos as idiots for selling their overseas-banned products here. There's a thread somewhere about that here, it's really informative.
    i like what KIA has to offer but, i read the review already and i was caught on the smooth of the drive, that it doesn't react right away. prang bumwebwelo pa xa. i lyk MS kc, we have an L300 and its 15 years wid us and still running ok, with a little overhaul here and there. and i lyk the alty also bcoz of the availability of its parts and the durability of its engine. i had problems wid my cr - v kc. all parts are to be ordered outside pa and so expensive!!! grbeh!! i was 16 wen i had that car, young and rough so thats why. so now i'm 23, i want a new car but i'll be taking care of it for sure na. so i want a car that can be easily maintained.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
what are the pros and cons of montero sport and isuzu alterra????