New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    im planning to buy a honda lxi kc baka matulungan nyo ako mga tsikoteers pra mgka idea kung ano ang dapat malaman sa sasakyan na 2....sirain ba 2? ano ang kadalasan sira? ano b ang kailangan kong icheck? anng maipapayo nyo mga kaibigan....thank you

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_jo75 View Post
    im planning to buy a honda lxi kc baka matulungan nyo ako mga tsikoteers pra mgka idea kung ano ang dapat malaman sa sasakyan na 2....sirain ba 2? ano ang kadalasan sira? ano b ang kailangan kong icheck? anng maipapayo nyo mga kaibigan....thank you
    The civic lxi is a good car but the problem is it's getting rather old and the typical age related problems will happen to the car.

As with any older car, you have to consider the kilometers the car has run, the condition of the suspension, rust (if any), the general condition of the engine and any notable recurring problems of the car from the current owner.

One expensive problem would be the aircon. The a/c compressor (if it's still the original) is bound to be close to being replaced soon.

The 1.5L engine is pretty preppy rate at 105 HP. A manual tranny should give you better mileage but an automatic would be preferred given the bumper to bumper traffic conditions we have in the city. BTW, if you do get an automatic, it might be advisable to change the ATF and it's filter as a safety measure.

If you do chance upon a Civic LXi in good maintenance, its can be a good car that can serve you for years. Just remember to give it periodic maintenance checks.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is this the ES ('01 to '03) LXi or EK ('96 to '01) LXi? The EK LXi had more pep compared to the ES version but both are good performers with the manual tranny and expect fuel consumption to range between 9+ to 11km/L in the city. If you're looking at an a/t tranny version, better to look for a 1600 VTi model as these engines aren't exactly famous for their torque.

Things to look at: idling problems (common with old EFI vehicles), a/c and suspension. If you get the ES version, make sure the part recalls have been done (fuel tank band, TDC sensor replaced).

Parts for these models are easily available but being a Honda, some OEM parts are priced a bit higher then your usual Toyota, Mitsu and Nissan parts... but overall it's quite easy to maintain and repair.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Is this the ES ('01 to '03) LXi or EK ('96 to '01) LXi? The EK LXi had more pep compared to the ES version but both are good performers with the manual tranny and expect fuel consumption to range between 9+ to 11km/L in the city. If you're looking at an a/t tranny version, better to look for a 1600 VTi model as these engines aren't exactly famous for their torque.

Things to look at: idling problems (common with old EFI vehicles), a/c and suspension. If you get the ES version, make sure the part recalls have been done (fuel tank band, TDC sensor replaced).

Parts for these models are easily available but being a Honda, some OEM parts are priced a bit higher then your usual Toyota, Mitsu and Nissan parts... but overall it's quite easy to maintain and repair.
    Agree with Vinj. If you will get an EK model, it has a double wishbone suspension while the ES has McPhearson. Both EK and ES has the same engine. I would prefer a M/T tranny for this 1.5 engine. my EK Lxi consumes an avarage of 14 km/h on a highway and less than 10 km/h in purely city driving (Manila and Makati area).

The common problems of an older Civic is the suspension which sometimes noisy. overall, it is a good car.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I also own a 97 Civic Lxi M/T. Great engine, easy to maintain and economical. Orig parts are not that expensive now. Just avoid the automatic transmission because of the shift shock. Just check yung rear trailing arm bushing at normally palitin sya every 4 to 5 yrs. I'm planning to sell mine to upgrade pero hindi ko maibigay at a low price kase nanghihinayang din ako because of its good performance. I think selling price nowadays are at a low of P210k to as high as P245k. Good luck!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_jo75 View Post
    Sir, may I know the year model of the car you're planning to buy?

From my experience, honda civic is still the best sedan out there in the market (comparing Japanese brands).

Once, I owned a 96 honda civic and it performed well even beyond 10 years. So far my unit haven't encountered any major problems. The reason why I sold it is just for upgrading to a large vehicle capable of seating 7 passengers. That's the only reason.

My 96 civic is even better than the Altis. Handling and smoother ride. Mas bouncy kasi ang Altis. Fuel consumption is even better. nakaka 14km/l ako sa dati kong civic even when travelling at high speeds. Sa Altis mga 11km/l lang then magastos sya at high speeds.

overall, Honda civic is still best buy pati resale value nya ay mataas din. That's the reliability and quality of Honda. THE POWER OF DREAMS! hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    features and power as related top line brethren. but fuel efficient, maintenance are about the same.

what are the pros and cons of a honda civic lxi?