New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    If buying brand new the likely cars to my mind would probably be a 1.5 GLS Accent, a 1.6 Sentra, or a 1.6E Corolla. Vioses, Yarises, Citys and Jazzes are out, just too funky. A Civic would probably be too techy/geeky. A Mazda is too flashy and would guzzle fuel, while a Focus sedan, while conservative in appearance, may not be that reliable from what I've read elsewhere on these boards.

A Crosswind perhaps?

If second hand maybe an older, more formal car like a Camry or an Accord? An affordable German marque would also be appropriate.

As for crossover vehicles, a Tucson I suppose, given its subdued lines. A RAV4 or CRV may be too attention getting.

Thanks for your inputs people. If you have other thoughts feel free to comment.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A Nissan Sentra with either the 1.3L or 1.6L engine would be best, i think. Get one in the color black.

If fuel cost is getting expensive for you, just convert it to run on Auto-LPG.

2008 Nissan Sentra 1.3L (N16 body) AUTO-LPG conversion
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51318

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronallandottk View Post
    If buying brand new the likely cars to my mind would probably be a 1.5 GLS Accent, a 1.6 Sentra, or a 1.6E Corolla. Vioses, Yarises, Citys and Jazzes are out, just too funky. A Civic would probably be too techy/geeky. A Mazda is too flashy and would guzzle fuel, while a Focus sedan, while conservative in appearance, may not be that reliable from what I've read elsewhere on these boards.

A Crosswind perhaps?

If second hand maybe an older, more formal car like a Camry or an Accord? An affordable German marque would also be appropriate.

As for crossover vehicles, a Tucson I suppose, given its subdued lines. A RAV4 or CRV may be too attention getting.

Thanks for your inputs people. If you have other thoughts feel free to comment.
    you were probably reading the Lemon Focus thread. Not a good barometer for the overall reliability of the car or manufacturer, since you'll get the same experience if you get a lemon car from any other manufacturer.

but that's beside the point.

get a brand new car, if you're worried about reliability (standard ang 5 year warranty ang hyundai, btw). The CR-V is so common on the road nowadays, so don't worry about it being too eye-catching.

as I said before, he's probably better off with a compact sedan or a crossover suv. Might have some difficulty with bigger vehicles such as the crosswind.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    First of all... at 60-something, driving a manual in traffic is torture. I'm only half-that-age, but I've got arthritic knees... and after two hours in Manila traffic, I often want to just lay down and die.

If we're considering AT compacts, and convenience and comfort are the foremost considerations...

The Subaru Impreza is probably the best all-around, except for the stupid transmission. Oh... one dealership in the whole R.P.

The Focus is slightly stiffer, but better in most other respects, except for the small back seat. This car, IMHO, is fitting for older drivers (my Dad, at 62, drives a diesel version).

The Mazda3 is too youthful, given your specifications, but great otherwise.

The Corolla has the best ride and geriatric friendly seats, but the steering is too darty and imprecise and the handling is wallowy... not something for a driver with slow reflexes or a weak heart .

The Civic is a masterpiece of engineering, terrific ergonomics, easy to drive, great engine, best-in-class 5-speed AT (for gasoline models... yeah, the Lancer has a CVT, but that's a pretty big car, and the Focus has the 6-DCT, but that's only with the diesel)... but the seats are too damn hard.

Everything else is too old.

-

The Grand Livina is actually very decent. Comfy, not too big.

The Carens is, like the Corolla, kind of wallowy, and the tail has a tendency of stepping out under hard braking (no ABS).

-

If we go to AT subcompacts, the Jazz / City twins are even easier to drive than the cars above... though the looks and firm seats may not be to his liking.

I don't like the Vios that much, but the Yaris is pretty nice... there's some good deals on the 1.5 AT Yaris from Toyota (thanks to the sales domination of the Jazz). It's more stable to drive than the Vios or the Corolla. Might be too cutesy for the old guy, but it's a great little car. It handles securely, has good economy and has seat space that's almost as good as the Jazz.

And it's cheap.

----

RE: Focus issues... it's not any less reliable or more reliable than, say, a Honda Civic (take that as you will)... That said, being in the Ford club, and knowing the issues that have come out, I wouldn't hesitate to get a TDCI.

Well... I wouldn't hesitate to get a TDCI any more than I'd hesitate to get any CRDi-type vehicle... I'm still worried about long-term reliability of all modern diesels given our local fuel... but Ford, at least, uses the superior Bosch systems... the CRDIs with the most complaints against them, Toyotas, Isuzus, Nissan Patrols... all use Denso.
    Last edited by niky; November 22nd, 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    i'd have to agree w/ bro niky. i think they'd be a lot more comfy driving an a/t transmission in this day & age. judging from the experience of my geriatric parents, shifting from a car w/ a manual tranny to a vehicle equipped w/ an automatic tranny would be quite seamless

regarding your main concern on w/c car to acquire for older people; how about the kia picanto and its sibling the rio? interestingly enough, in our village i see a lot of older folks driving around in these cars. i think they might be worth considering since the urban crampness can really get under one's skin.

besides, we have a 1.3 idsi jazz and i'm thinking the picanto might be as easy or maybe even easier to drive. same goes relatively w/ the rio i'm guessing

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    A secondhand TDCi Focus Manual. 6 speed pa yun para kay granpa! hehehe

*manual
    *diesel
    *good view all around
    *hatch but has a trunk comparable to a sedan

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post

*manual
    *diesel
    *good view all around
    Hmmm. Interesting choice. :-)

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    i'd have to agree w/ bro niky. i think they'd be a lot more comfy driving an a/t transmission in this day & age. judging from the experience of my geriatric parents, shifting from a car w/ a manual tranny to a vehicle equipped w/ an automatic tranny would be quite seamless

regarding your main concern on w/c car to acquire for older people; how about the kia picanto and its sibling the rio? interestingly enough, in our village i see a lot of older folks driving around in these cars. i think they might be worth considering since the urban crampness can really get under one's skin.

besides, we have a 1.3 idsi jazz and i'm thinking the picanto might be as easy or maybe even easier to drive. same goes relatively w/ the rio i'm guessing
    Perhaps you people are right. I guess I've been basing the choice of a transmission based on my own experiences, and I tend to have a little difficulty making transitions from M/T to A/T (left leg gets kinda restless with nothing to do). If it's an A/T though, may have to go with diesel for better torque and fuel economy.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post

*manual
    *diesel
    *good view all around
    I'd agree... I love that car. But one caveat... the clutch is a knee-killer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    kung for oldiesm=, montero

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
What car to buy for older people?