New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i'm not against converting cars into lpg, as a matter of fact my car, Chevrolet Optra is running on LPG... fuel consumption is roughly the same with using gasoline, 6 kilometers per liter give or take... eventhough lpg is cheaper than gasoline its not cost effective nor practical for my everyday use...

so i have bought a Hyundai Matrix CRDi VGT, a 1.5 Turbo Diesel Engine which is more spacious, run much faster than my Optra and it gives me a 14 kilometers per liter on fuel consumption...

full tank (LPG) on my chevrolet optra last me only for 5 days, while my Hyundai Matrix last me for 16 days... which do you think is better?

to be honest, i'm selling my Optra so that i can buy a Hyundai Accent unfortunately all i got i got was a bunch of buyandsell/agents lowballers... wasting my time...

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    In city driving, a 1.5 will get you maybe 60%-80% more economy... judging by your 5.5 km/l fuel economy, you drive very short distances, right? Where do you live? Where do you drive?

A subcompact 1.1 to 1.3 can get up to 14 - 17 km/l in urban driving... but only if you go a certain distance and in certain areas. If you drive less than 2 kilometers per trip, you can still get as low as 8 km/l.
    What would be the "ideal" or minimum distance traveled to be able to attain better fuel consumption rates?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There is no "ideal"... but trips of 20 kms or more minimize the "cold" running time.

With trips of just 5 kms or so, your car is running "cold" for the first two or three kilometers, so for about half of your running time, you're using more gas than you need simply to get the car to warm up.

Wack-Wack to E.Rod? Ugh... which way do you go? Via Wilson out to Aurora then E.Rod? That's very slow going...especially on week-days. On that route, you might be able to get 8-10 on a subcompact... but then, an LPG conversion is still more cost-effective than this.

You could wake up earlier and make your morning trip before rush hour. Should bring your morning trip economy up to 7-8 km/l if there's no traffic.

While you don't need to change oil yet, I remember the suggested interval being 10,000 kms or 1 year. If you're driving in traffic all the time, might as well follow the 1 year interval. But if your oil still seems good, I wouldn't worry about it. And at 6000 kms, your engine sounds like a virgin. Take it on a few trips... go out of town, stretch your car's legs, so to speak. If you never rev your Focus, it won't break-in properly.

Personally, try LPG. The new SGi kits will allow you to keep 95% of the power you have now while providing a cheaper fuel to buy. But if you can get a good deal on your car for trade-in... there's something to be said for that "new car smell"...
    Last edited by niky; June 10th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kdm_142 View Post
    i guess i'm taking my word back.. hehe. If it's really safe, then maybe we can consider this. So that's almost 50% cheaper per litter.. hmm.. but will i get the same mileage or less?
    Fuel mileage is about the same under LPG as with gasoline if you use the SGI-LPG system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
What bnew car to buy with budget up to 650k?