New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestana View Post
    Really? All I hear about from friends who bought Fords in the past few years is how expensive the casa is. P20K+ for the Ranger's PMS at 30K km is very expensive. Workmate also complained a few weeks back that his 2013 Focus cost P18K on his recent PMS. We've also had Civics before and they were pricey (especially because of the frequent suspension bushing replacements), but they cost nowhere near this much even if prices were adjusted for today's value.

Have you considered the Nissan Sylphy? The base MT model at P812K is fairly well equipped (ABS, EBD, dual airbags, stabilizers, etc). There's also a CVT-equipped model at P915K. It's the most spacious in its class afaik, although the interior and dashboard is very plain. The rear seats are very posh and have rear AC vents too. Don't know anyone who owns one though, but reviews say the CVT variant is very fuel efficient.

Edit: Just read the hilarious comments section of the Sylphy review at CarguidePh. They're labeling the Sylphy as the DOM's car of choice because "it's a compact with the amenities of a mid-sized sedan".

Thanks for sharing. Haven't read it fully but by just seeing its pictures, doesn't look appealing to me. You've mentioned in your previous post that Kia is cheaper to maintain? Have you seen / checked the Kia Forte? Looks good to me but when I checked on the price, it is above my budget.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Really? All I hear about from friends who bought Fords in the past few years is how expensive the casa is. P20K+ for the Ranger's PMS at 30K km is very expensive. Workmate also complained a few weeks back that his 2013 Focus cost P18K on his recent PMS. We've also had Civics before and they were pricey (especially because of the frequent suspension bushing replacements), but they cost nowhere near this much even if prices were adjusted for today's value.

Have you considered the Nissan Sylphy? The base MT model at P812K is fairly well equipped (ABS, EBD, dual airbags, stabilizers, etc). There's also a CVT-equipped model at P915K. It's the most spacious in its class afaik, although the interior and dashboard is very plain. The rear seats are very posh and have rear AC vents too. Don't know anyone who owns one though, but reviews say the CVT variant is very fuel efficient.

Edit: Just read the hilarious comments section of the Sylphy review at CarguidePh. They're labeling the Sylphy as the DOM's car of choice because "it's a compact with the amenities of a mid-sized sedan".

Thanks for sharing. Haven't read it fully but by just seeing its pictures, doesn't look appealing to me. You've mentioned in your previous post that Kia is cheaper to maintain? Have you seen / checked the Kia Forte? Looks good to me but when I checked on the price, it is above my budget.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPi.23 View Post
    Yes. Kia is surprisingly cheap to maintain and from experience they're not too strict with maintenance schedules and whatnot. My Soul's scheduled 22.5K km PMS was done at 25K km, and the scheduled 30K km was done at 32K km. My Kia Soul is already on 19" rims btw (largest OEM size is 18", so it's out of spec) and the service manager didn't mind it when it was serviced last week for its 30K km PMS. Quality of service and cost exceeded our expectations so far so we ended up with another Kia recently (a Sorento 2.2 CRDi).

I personally wouldn't get a Forte because it's fairly old. It's as old as the Elantra because they're based on the same platform. These two are also one of the oldest in the compact segment atm. An all-new Elantra is slated to be launched late this year at the 2015 LA Auto Show so a Forte will follow shortly.

Besides, the Forte's asking price here is P965K. Kinda steep imo even if it does match the mid-range variant of the Altis in terms of spec. If they're still offering P50K discount on the Soul (SRP is P1.020M, so P970K), it's a much better buy if you don't mind the styling which is honestly a 'love it or hate it' thing. The Soul's 1.6 turbodiesel makes it faster and far more fuel efficient than any gas-fed compact at the same price bracket and I kid you not, it's more spacious than anything in the compact segment except perhaps the Sylphy. The only real issue one might have with the Soul is that it doesn't have a fancy headunit with navigation which is already common even at lower price brackets. But its sound system is very good (6 speakers with tweeters). In all though, even for its turbodiesel engine alone I feel the Soul's price is worth it. However I'm not ready to part yet with my previous gen Soul.

To sum up the Soul:
    + 1.6 turbodiesel engine. Unmatched power and fuel efficiency.
    + Relatively high 165 mm ground clearance. Sits higher than compacts for better visbility and can go over bad road more easily. Also has driver's seat height adjustment.
    + Comfortable for passengers. Refined diesel, very good NVH and unmatched passenger space vs compacts.
    + Only 4140 mm long. Easy to weave around traffic.
    - Styling isn't for everyone.
    - The Soul is basically big hatchback, and a compact sedan like the Altis will still have marginally better trunk space for luggage.
    - Out of your budget. SRP for the base model is P1.020M and P1.070M for the TOTL. The P50K discount I mentioned may not be available at your nearest Kia. The compacts are still cheaper.

If you don't mind the Soul's styling and are able to still avail of that P50K discount, I highly suggest you do a test drive.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Well explained. Might remove the Vios G AT in my list. For the City VX, it looks respectable to me plus as you've mentioned, lot's of other advanced features. For the space, I don't have passengers in my daily trip so not a big issue at all.
    The Elantra, I liked it before, looks sporty and decent to me but when I've read about the expensive PMS, might remove this as well.
    With the Altis, i liked the FC figures posted plus I'm sure that the maintenance cost wouldn't be a burden. So it might be between the Altis and City. Are there other factors to consider? I don't drive fast and maybe I would also like to hear on the comfort side between the two. Appreciate your response.
    Between the Altis and the City, as cast_no_shadow mentioned, the question really is - do you want a fully-loaded subcompact, or a mid-level compact?

Personally, I want the most upscale-looking car for my budget. At this price range, the Altis definitely looks more executive, more commanding, and more appealing than the City.

But more than just looks and presence, going for the Altis also has the following advantages:

* More space - simply put, the bigger car has a more cavernous interior. It also has a bigger trunk, and 60/40 split-folding rear seats if you ever need to haul large/long items.

* Better ride comfort - in city driving, the Altis exhibits better insulation from outside noise, and stays more composed when going through ruts and potholes. The City has improved greatly in terms of its ride comfort compared to the old City, but the Altis is still on a different level. On the highway, the narrow profile of the City combined with its skinny 185/55R16 tires make it less stable and more prone to crosswinds compared to the wider Altis with fatter 205/55R16 tires.

As already discussed, the biggest advantage of the City over the Altis is that the former has more toys. Specifically, it's got the following features that the Altis doesn't have:

- Touch screen audio and aircon controls
    - Bluetooth connectivity
    - Smartphone mirroring on the head unit
    - Push-button ignition
    - 3 12V sockets vs just 1 on the Altis
    - Backup camera

To be fair, the Altis also has some features that the City doesn't have. Not as fancy, but could be important to you as well:

- 60/40 split rear seats
    - Full size spare tire (City only has a donut)
    - Larger fuel tank (55L vs 40L) for less fillups during long drives
    - 6 speakers (vs 4 on the City)
    - An actual temperature gauge (vs just a warning light on the City)
    - Rear armrest with 2 cupholders

Aside from features, the City also has the advantage of being easier to squeeze through tight traffic or small parking spaces because it's a narrower car. Then of course, there's the advantage that the City VX is a CVT which is much more comfortable to drive in heavy traffic compared to the MT Altis G.

And while you don't drive fast, you should still note that the engines of these cars are quite different, even if they have roughly the same power output (City has 120 ps, Altis has 122).

The City has very little grunt in the lower rev range (1000-3000 rpm), but still enough to putter around town. If you need brisk acceleration, you'll have to put your foot down and increase the revs to 5000 rpm and up to maximize the power of the car. With just 1,100 kg, the City is actually fast when pushed to its redline.

The Altis, on the other hand, feels much peppier from a standstill, even at lower rpms. It has a flatter powerband; no Jekyll-and-Hyde transformations when transitioning to the higher rev range, just constant torque and power as you floor the pedal. Fuel consumption is roughly the same for the two cars.

Ultimately, you'll have to weigh what criteria matters to you most. But you can't really go wrong with either car as both are good all-rounders.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Not considering the Accent CRDi? If gas mileage is a primary consideration, this is the one to have. It still wins in total fuel cost even if any of the abovementioned models actually manage to match it in terms of km/L. Which Fortuner variant do you have? If it's the 2.5, you may find your daily fuel costs higher if you opt for the 1.5/1.6 gasoline sedans.

Among the choices, I'd go for the Altis. Similar fuel consumption as most 1.5L subcompacts whole having more space and a more upscale look. Resale value is rock solid and you will never have problems with parts and maintenance.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the response. I also want the Fiesta Ecoboost but I guess it might not be suitable nor would look good for my age. If I'm at the mid 20's to early 30's will be getting this one or the Jazz.
    I was in my 20s back when grunge bands ruled the airwaves and folks outside of UP just came to appreciate the music of Eraserheads. The music of Red Hot Chili Peppers still get my blood pumped up and it makes my daily ride with my little-engine-that-could less boring. Test drive the Fiesta Ecoboost and you will be surprised how much its small turbo engine can deliver. If you're the type who prefers a responsive car and a sporty drive, no other car priced below 1M can deliver a better package than this neat hatchback from Ford. If only the Fiesta ST is available here, I wonder how much more fun it can deliver with its more powerful 1.6L turbo engine (197hp).

Will be paying it in cash since I'm going to sell my current vehicle and I believe that it is valued from 800 to 900K. I can extend it to 1M if it's really worth it. Do you have other suggestion?
    For a 1M budget and a good choice for an all-around family car, it will be a toss-up between the base Mazda3, Altis 1.6V, or the Sylphy 1.8V. Mazda3 for its looks and new technology, Sylphy for its space and creature comforts, while the Altis 1.6V is an all-around performer but neither of them could provide a sport-oriented drive. The Focus 1.6L Trend is a decent choice and it has the goods but it does not offer much for its price (998k) and it is a bit overweight. I'd like to include the Honda Civic 1.8S as it offers a decent power-to-weight ratio (lightest car among the compacts) and acceptable FC but it looks bare inside compared to the initial 3 options. The Civic FB (2012-onwards) has lost its sporty character compared to the older Civic FD (2006-2011). The Lancer GT-A is now sold at less than 1M but it is an old platform (7 years old) but it's a good bargain as it was priced at 1.2M before. The Lancer GT-A has aged well and its looks still has that presence of a sporty compact.

Just go out to the different dealers and check out the models. Take the cars for a test drive and then choose. The right choice will be the one that makes you enjoy driving it everyday.
    Last edited by Egan101; August 5th, 2015 at 03:54 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Lancer GT-A has been phased out. Would've gotten it over the Altis but no dealership has any stock at the time. Even if they had stock, it wouldn't be under 1M anymore.

TS looks like he prefers a comfy ride over a perky engine. He doesn't like the Sylphy, which leaves just the Altis as his best bet for a comfy all-rounder. Since he doesn't need space, Mz3 could be nice too, but much more expensive than the Altis G MT after discounts.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Lancer GT-A has been phased out. Would've gotten it over the Altis but no dealership has any stock at the time. Even if they had stock, it wouldn't be under 1M anymore.

TS looks like he prefers a comfy ride over a perky engine. He doesn't like the Sylphy, which leaves just the Altis as his best bet for a comfy all-rounder. Since he doesn't need space, Mz3 could be nice too, but much more expensive than the Altis G MT after discounts.
    The Mazda 3 does come with 3 years of free maintenance (Yojin 3). Should save him quite a bit of money over time. However, what he should be worried is the waiting time. Doesn't the Mazda 3 still have a long line?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The Mz3 costs 965k, while Yojin3 is equivalent to a 36k discount (6k per PMS twice a year for 3 years). So effectively it's like buying the car for 929k.

On the other hand, an Altis G MT costs 893k, and discounts are usually around 35k, putting it at 858k. Still a 71k difference, which is significant for me.

Of course, if we compare AT to AT, the difference is smaller - 949k for the Altis G CVT less 35k discount = 914k, or just a 15k difference with the Mz3 1.5V.

If I were getting an AT, I'd get the Mz3 over the Altis. But since I prefer manuals (getting a manual offers significant savings and better performance), I was left with no choice but to get the Altis G MT since Mazda doesn't offer the 3 with a stick shift.

Another thing against the Mz3 1.5 is that it just looks awful with the 16" rims and without the ducktail, unlike the Altis which looks pretty decent with its stock 16 inchers even without a ducktail. When I was considering the Mz3, I factored in the cost and difficulty of sourcing OEM 18" rims as well as an OEM ducktail, which really made it a pricier option.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Yes. Kia is surprisingly cheap to maintain and from experience they're not too strict with maintenance schedules and whatnot. My Soul's scheduled 22.5K km PMS was done at 25K km, and the scheduled 30K km was done at 32K km. My Kia Soul is already on 19" rims btw (largest OEM size is 18", so it's out of spec) and the service manager didn't mind it when it was serviced last week for its 30K km PMS. Quality of service and cost exceeded our expectations so far so we ended up with another Kia recently (a Sorento 2.2 CRDi).

I personally wouldn't get a Forte because it's fairly old. It's as old as the Elantra because they're based on the same platform. These two are also one of the oldest in the compact segment atm. An all-new Elantra is slated to be launched late this year at the 2015 LA Auto Show so a Forte will follow shortly.

Besides, the Forte's asking price here is P965K. Kinda steep imo even if it does match the mid-range variant of the Altis in terms of spec. If they're still offering P50K discount on the Soul (SRP is P1.020M, so P970K), it's a much better buy if you don't mind the styling which is honestly a 'love it or hate it' thing. The Soul's 1.6 turbodiesel makes it faster and far more fuel efficient than any gas-fed compact at the same price bracket and I kid you not, it's more spacious than anything in the compact segment except perhaps the Sylphy. The only real issue one might have with the Soul is that it doesn't have a fancy headunit with navigation which is already common even at lower price brackets. But its sound system is very good (6 speakers with tweeters). In all though, even for its turbodiesel engine alone I feel the Soul's price is worth it. However I'm not ready to part yet with my previous gen Soul.

To sum up the Soul:
    + 1.6 turbodiesel engine. Unmatched power and fuel efficiency.
    + Relatively high 165 mm ground clearance. Sits higher than compacts for better visbility and can go over bad road more easily. Also has driver's seat height adjustment.
    + Comfortable for passengers. Refined diesel, very good NVH and unmatched passenger space vs compacts.
    + Only 4140 mm long. Easy to weave around traffic.
    - Styling isn't for everyone.
    - The Soul is basically big hatchback, and a compact sedan like the Altis will still have marginally better trunk space for luggage.
    - Out of your budget. SRP for the base model is P1.020M and P1.070M for the TOTL. The P50K discount I mentioned may not be available at your nearest Kia. The compacts are still cheaper.

If you don't mind the Soul's styling and are able to still avail of that P50K discount, I highly suggest you do a test drive.

Hi! Thanks again for your suggestion but upon checking the Soul, I guess this is not for me. I liked the features that you've written but on the looks, I'm on the "hate it" side. I'm more attracted to the Kia Forte and did a quick search.. I've seen that this model was released last June? Or was it really old but was just released in PH to compete against other compacts? The pricing for the AT is at 965K (not sure how much discount) which is also within my price range. Maybe I'll include this when I hop with the dealerships.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Between the Altis and the City, as cast_no_shadow mentioned, the question really is - do you want a fully-loaded subcompact, or a mid-level compact?

Personally, I want the most upscale-looking car for my budget. At this price range, the Altis definitely looks more executive, more commanding, and more appealing than the City.

But more than just looks and presence, going for the Altis also has the following advantages:

* More space - simply put, the bigger car has a more cavernous interior. It also has a bigger trunk, and 60/40 split-folding rear seats if you ever need to haul large/long items.

* Better ride comfort - in city driving, the Altis exhibits better insulation from outside noise, and stays more composed when going through ruts and potholes. The City has improved greatly in terms of its ride comfort compared to the old City, but the Altis is still on a different level. On the highway, the narrow profile of the City combined with its skinny 185/55R16 tires make it less stable and more prone to crosswinds compared to the wider Altis with fatter 205/55R16 tires.

As already discussed, the biggest advantage of the City over the Altis is that the former has more toys. Specifically, it's got the following features that the Altis doesn't have:

- Bluetooth connectivity
    - Push-button ignition
    - Backup camera

To be fair, the Altis also has some features that the City doesn't have. Not as fancy, but could be important to you as well:

- 60/40 split rear seats

Aside from features, the City also has the advantage of being easier to squeeze through tight traffic or small parking spaces because it's a narrower car. Then of course, there's the advantage that the City VX is a CVT which is much more comfortable to drive in heavy traffic compared to the MT Altis G.

And while you don't drive fast, you should still note that the engines of these cars are quite different, even if they have roughly the same power output (City has 120 ps, Altis has 122).

The City has very little grunt in the lower rev range (1000-3000 rpm), but still enough to putter around town. If you need brisk acceleration, you'll have to put your foot down and increase the revs to 5000 rpm and up to maximize the power of the car. With just 1,100 kg, the City is actually fast when pushed to its redline.

The Altis, on the other hand, feels much peppier from a standstill, even at lower rpms. It has a flatter powerband; no Jekyll-and-Hyde transformations when transitioning to the higher rev range, just constant torque and power as you floor the pedal. Fuel consumption is roughly the same for the two cars.

Ultimately, you'll have to weigh what criteria matters to you most. But you can't really go wrong with either car as both are good all-rounders.
    Thanks Jut! I cannot answer that for now but based on what you've pointed, Altis will be a better pick. I may not be needing those added features that the City has except for the reverse camera which is very helpful in parking at night. This will be my first choice for now. Any known issues with the current Altis? I know that there is this "warranty" but just making sure.

Lastly, your thoughts / insight with the Kia Forte? Vs. the Altis, what I can think of is the resale value later on. I normally buy a new vehicle after 4 to 5 yrs of ownership.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- Bluetooth connectivity
    - Push-button ignition
    - Backup camera

- 60/40 split rear seats

Thanks Jut! I cannot answer that for now but based on what you've pointed, Altis will be a better pick. I may not be needing those added features that the City has except for the reverse camera which is very helpful in parking at night. This will be my first choice for now. Any known issues with the current Altis? I know that there is this "warranty" but just making sure.

Lastly, your thoughts / insight with the Kia Forte? Vs. the Altis, what I can think of is the resale value later on. I normally buy a new vehicle after 4 to 5 yrs of ownership.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast