New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I used to drive an old Exped 4x4 back in Illinois. Got it really cheap, as the owner has 2 of these gas-gazzling trucks. It's built tough though and you can drive it in snow when needed plus it comes handy when you want to haul a whole lot of stuff. FC is quite bad, 10 miles per gallon during the winter months and 12 miles per gallon during the summer. It can do around 17-18 miles per gallon on long interstate trips. The only problem I have with it is the misfire issues that occur when the season changes (cold to hot, hot to cold) but it's something you can deal with by filling it up with premium gasoline and running it on the highway to burn any unwanted gas deposits in the injectors. However, using it to drive to school is not something I recommend.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Its cheap for a reason. Lakas sa gas, unreliable, mahal ang pyesa at madalas masira... Comparatively a 1994 LC80 still sells for a million...
    The engine itself is actually pretty good... and engine parts are not an issue.

What's an issue is if you get one with an air suspension... the price of "regular" maintenance for an air suspension is kind of jaw-dropping.

If you know what you're doing, you can convert to steel springs. But that's still added cost where you don't expect or need it.

And then, if you're using it in Manila traffic, there's the extra burden of frequent brake pad changes... the Expedition is a heavy beast, and the brakes feel underwhelming (to be fair, the Suburban/Tahoe are like that too) for the power and size.

Really a poor fit for local conditions. If you lived in the land of gas and honey (America) and had to drive ten people across the state everyday... no problem. Living here, no go.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

Yeah, engine, tranny, underchassis wise, the Expedition is robust.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    It costs P9000 to convert the rear air suspension to springs.

The parts arent expensive, but just remember.... You have twice as many cylinders as most cars

A spark plug is P300-400 but you need 8 (many fakes around, you have to buy from the casa)
    You also need 8 coils
    Many liters if oil ( forgot how many exactly, but a non-synthetic oil change is about 4k)
    Tranny oil change is 6k
    The brakes are about 6-7k a pair (original)
    If you live in a hilly area, the gearbox isnt going to last. Thats another 50k at least

The driving difficulty depends solely on where you live and work/study. Just asking, has your son learned to drive yet? He may like the idea of using an expedition to school, but it's challenging to say the least.

It's not unreliable at all, it has never broken down, other than getting home with a collapsed rear suspension (it would still run, its just uncomfortable).

I used an expedition as a coding/horrible weather car in college. Fortunately, the university I studied had a generously spaced carpark that never gets full (because its expensive, I work in Makati now and my parking is cheaper). There are free slots around for taking though, they are parallel parking slots though. More than once I have made a traffic jam putting an expedition into a slot with less than a foot on both sides. If Im trapped in my slot....... I "Study" in mcdonalds with friends.
    Last edited by viper888; August 12th, 2014 at 01:45 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Diesel expedition anyone? Someone converts it but it will cost you about 200-250t.. Gas and maintenance problems solved. Air suspension na lang

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub View Post
    Diesel expedition anyone? Someone converts it but it will cost you about 200-250t.. Gas and maintenance problems solved. Air suspension na lang

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    Its still going to to get 5km/l in diesel. They claim more, but thats doubtful. It will also be as slow f*ck.A 130hp nissan diesel already struggles in a patrol.... Now imagine an expedition.
    It will take about 100,000 kms before you make up the 250k difference

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not really that cost effective, unless you already have an Exped you like and want to keep... or if you have an Exped with a blown motor.

I quite fancy the diesel converted (Nissan RD yata) Chateau wagon that one of the old-schoolers at the Ford Club has... imagine a 1970's E150... with Tartan seats.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    250K?

Well, that's the price of another Expedition ...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post

The driving difficulty depends solely on where you live and work/study. Just asking, has your son learned to drive yet? He may like the idea of using an expedition to school, but it's challenging to say the least.
    actually sir I don't have a son
    I'm just asking for opinions or thoughts

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    250K?

Well, that's the price of another Expedition ...
    Natawa ako dito!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast