New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Deleted. It should have been a private message.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AltisAndMZ3FAN View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to sell my 2016 Altis 1.6AT by next year, my reason is i want to upgrade my ride as a whole.
    So my choices are the following
    Second hand:
    86/Brz MT
    WRX MT/CVT

Brand new:
    Civic RS

I'm also looking at second hand Mazda 6 and Accord.

My budget is around 1.4M in total after selling the Altis. Performance and Fun to drive is my main priority, next is the capability to be a daily drive.
    If it's your only car I'd say get the Civic RS, although come January it might already be priced at around 1.5M (above your current budget) given the implementation of the additional excise tax. It performs like and has the dimensions of a midsized car so it got you covered in comfort and driving dynamics. Plus, the looks appeal to you (do I mean us? LOL) millenials so it got you covered there as well.

If you live in Manila (and discounting the looks) the Miata/BRZ/GT86 (best in Manual Transmission) are only good for weekend drives, while the WRX would be impractical for its relatively high fuel consumption.

Gas prices are to increase in January so you don't want to be stuck in a gas guzzler that will impact your finances. The WRX might be relatively be difficult to dispose of as well if you decide on it.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippin View Post

If you live in Manila (and discounting the looks) the Miata/BRZ/GT86 (best in Manual Transmission) are only good for weekend drives, while the WRX would be impractical for its relatively high fuel consumption.

Gas prices are to increase in January so you don't want to be stuck in a gas guzzler that will impact your finances. The WRX might be relatively be difficult to dispose of as well if you decide on it.
    How is the fuel consumption of the WRX to be tagged as a gas guzzler? Do you own one? If I consider my ride with the same FA20 engine, fuel consumption is about the same as a midsize car or a CUV which is acceptable for the amount of output it produces.

Also, most WRX owners donÂ’t complain about its fuel consumption and they keep them for a long time. ItÂ’s not the usual compact car that you dispose of after its usefulness.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    people who own the newer subarus, are not usually that poor, as to openly complain that their cars' fuel appetite is driving them to the poorhouse.
    if they feel the higher fuel expense is more than made up for, by whatever it is that makes the car appeal to them, then they're happy.

i used to own a car that gave me a lousy 5-6 km/li. i sold it. now, i'm looking for one again, because "i miss the pleasure i felt when i drove it".

but yes, to many folks, and not necessarily "poor", fuel expense is something to think about.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 29th, 2017 at 08:52 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Sorry to hear about what happened with you and your ex. But that said, is blowing your money on a sports car really what will make you happy?

There isn't any right or wrong answer btw. As I always say - spend on what makes you truly happy.

Like you, I was contemplating on getting a sports car too (Miata) a few months ago. Yes it's really fun to drive and you'll look really cool as a twenty-something with a sports car.

But ultimately, I found it irresponsible, especially as I haven't even finished paying my house off yet. I could use the money for a Miata to shorten my loan term, or to get better furniture, or to secure my future kids' future. Peace of mind and financial prudence makes me happier than going bonkers on a fancy car.

I guess if you have all those covered, go ahead and enjoy the thrill of a sports car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Thanks sir, as always you suggest ideas that are outside the box, i'll look into MX5 hopefully there are units under 1.5m

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    For now considering all things normal in your situation (as mentioned earlier about house, bills, etc.), go for your dream car. Or at the very least, get the next best being offered. Sooner or later, you'll change your priorities together with your wants. What you want at the moment may change ten years from now. This is normal as you "grow old". In my case, this kind of car is no longer my priority being a family man with a limited budget. This is the reason why I opted for the CR-V SX. However, I ended up with Mazda 6 SKYACTIV-D. No regrets, since it offered the best of both worlds for me.

If I had the luxury and capacity to maintain two cars at any given time, I'll take this BRZ or any two-door variant like Miata. Of course, Miata is out of the equation since you mentioned that you can't find such unit that is priced below 1.5 M.

This has given me an inspiration... I'll see if I can test-drive a Miata on my next visit to Mazda.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
    I'd say keep the current car and blow your money trying out new things and travelling. A sports car's only fun when the road is wide open or during track days. How often would those be?

I'm sure everyone here dreamed of driving evos and stis everyday, but when life dawns on you that it really isn't practical..

Reviews mostly point out that you have to be mostly in the redline to enjoy the twin's boxer engine opposed to the miata that its already fun even in moderate speeds. Haven't driven either, but the mx5 is much more appealing.

I don't know about the wrx.. it sure looks more fun with a lot of power, good handling and a bit more practical with the boot space and added seats.. but how's the maintenance of this car?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tsikot Forums mobile app

Ex gf and i, travel a lot. I'll just remember her even more HAHA. So far i'm looking at WRX CVT, MT and MX5 MT

8. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    It's the aesthetics and looks that catches the usual folks. They don't care that much on performance and most would drive it like their usual compact. Not everyone drives their cars to their limits, some have not even tried to push their cars to redline.

If only Subaru puts a more powerful turbo engine on the BRZ, maybe by then you can get the most out of the platform. However, it's like slapping Toyota in the face as it has no turbo option unless Toyota plans to put the Lexus 2.0L turbo engine on it.
    Tried to run my officemate's 86 with HKS supercharger, i can say it really fits with the new power tuned with EcuTek. But the thing is it cost additional 300++k. Out of budget hehe

9. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    For now considering all things normal in your situation (as mentioned earlier about house, bills, etc.), go for your dream car. Or at the very least, get the next best being offered. Sooner or later, you'll change your priorities together with your wants. What you want at the moment may change ten years from now. This is normal as you "grow old". In my case, this kind of car is no longer my priority being a family man with a limited budget. This is the reason why I opted for the CR-V SX. However, I ended up with Mazda 6 SKYACTIV-D. No regrets, since it offered the best of both worlds for me.

If I had the luxury and capacity to maintain two cars at any given time, I'll take this BRZ or any two-door variant like Miata. Of course, Miata is out of the equation since you mentioned that you can't find such unit that is priced below 1.5 M.

This has given me an inspiration... I'll see if I can test-drive a Miata on my next visit to Mazda.
    Honestly i live alone (except that i have 1 dog as my companion), paying for rent and all bills. Just curious bro, for Mazda 6 diesel, how does it compare with accord?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AltisAndMZ3FAN View Post
    Honestly i live alone (except that i have 1 dog as my companion), paying for rent and all bills. Just curious bro, for Mazda 6 diesel, how does it compare with accord?
    Not in getting a place of your own instead of renting? Hehe just putting it out there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast