New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Guys with experience in both of these brands, please please help me choose which car should I buy considering ALL factors

Toyota Vios 2011 1.3E Automatic Transmission - 720,000
    Honda City 2011 1.3S Manual Transmission - 731,000

I'm 23 years old, Bachelor, the car will be used mainly for city driving. This car will be coming from my hard earned cash please consider all factors like Fuel consumption, maintenance, parts, looks, power, accessories, etc. This will be my first car btw.

Thank you mga masters!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by francais View Post
    Guys with experience in both of these brands, please please help me choose which car should I buy considering ALL factors

I'm 23 years old, Bachelor, the car will be used mainly for city driving. This car will be coming from my hard earned cash please consider all factors like Fuel consumption, maintenance, parts, looks - since im still a bachelor, etc.

Thank you mga masters!
    In terms of looks, performance and resale value, the City is definitely the better one of the two. I'm not sure as to the fuel consumption, but the City should do better having superior engine technology and M/T versus A/T. As to maintenance and parts, the Toyota would most definitely have lower maintenance and parts costs. However, I would also suggest you consider the Hyundai Accent 1.4A/T. (I'm sure may aangal nanaman na not included among the choices ) But it is very much worth considering as it costs only 688k, and has most if not all of the features present in the cars you mentioned, is new in the market, has most power in its class and IMHO looks the best among the three.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Fuel Consumption

Apples to apples, the Vios is slightly more fuel efficient than the City. However, because you're comparing the AT Vios to the MT City. I'd have to say it's just about equal, or with the City coming ahead.

Maintenance

Since this is your first car, I'd assume you'd be having the car serviced ONLY at the dealership. In this regard, the Vios will have a slight advantage in terms of maintenance costs. Maybe you could inquire at the dealerships as to how much the regular maintenance costs are to compare between the 2 cars.

Parts

Unless you know a lot about cars, getting your car parts outside the dealership is a hit or miss thing. Same as the 'maintenance' portion, I think.

Looks

This is subjective, but the City wins for me. Everything from the shape of the car to the wheel design is probably just more 'modern'. Also, the Vios is due to be replaced either late this year or next, so in terms of looks, baka malaos na yan soon.

Power

On paper, the City has more power, ~100hp vs ~85hp of the Vios. But most of the City's power is at the high end of the RPM range which you won't use very often. But I think because you're comparing AT to MT, the City may have more 'pull'.

Other in/tangibles

- The City has 2 airbags for the 1 airbag of the Vios
    - City has a giant trunk, if or when you'd need it.
    - The City *may* have a slightly higher resale value down the line, but this MAY or MAY NOT be true come selling time.

Bottom Line
    Subjectively, it's the City for me, summing up the reasons above (mukhang talo lang naman yung City in terms of cost of ownership/maintenance). That, and I just don't want to buy a new car that's just about ready to be replaced. Bad trip yun para saken haha

If you're willing to try korean brands (read: Hyundai Accent), then this comparison may change.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post

If you're willing to try korean brands (read: Hyundai Accent), then this comparison may change.

+ for this one, why don't you try the new accent, di hamak naman na mas malakas yung new Accent kaysa sa option mong 1.3 City and Vios

Hyundai Accent --

you got more power (because it is 1.4 and the top variat is 1.6 ata)
    look (new design)

fuel efficency also (may nabalitaan ako dito na umabot ata yung FC nya ng 14km/ L)

and low price--688,000 php for the 1.4 CVVT AT variant.

kung sa post mo naman, mag-vVios na lang ako , of course the 1.3 E, because of its efficiency than the city.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006

I'm 23 years old, Bachelor, the car will be used mainly for city driving. This car will be coming from my hard earned cash please consider all factors like Fuel consumption, maintenance, parts, looks, power, accessories, etc. This will be my first car btw.

Thank you mga masters!
    Vios na! It's automatic. Better paint jobs than the City, and less maintencance as well.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Fuel Consumption

Apples to apples, the Vios is slightly more fuel efficient than the City. However, because you're comparing the AT Vios to the MT City. I'd have to say it's just about equal, or with the City coming ahead.

Maintenance

Since this is your first car, I'd assume you'd be having the car serviced ONLY at the dealership. In this regard, the Vios will have a slight advantage in terms of maintenance costs. Maybe you could inquire at the dealerships as to how much the regular maintenance costs are to compare between the 2 cars.

Parts

Unless you know a lot about cars, getting your car parts outside the dealership is a hit or miss thing. Same as the 'maintenance' portion, I think.

Looks

This is subjective, but the City wins for me. Everything from the shape of the car to the wheel design is probably just more 'modern'. Also, the Vios is due to be replaced either late this year or next, so in terms of looks, baka malaos na yan soon.

Power

On paper, the City has more power, ~100hp vs ~85hp of the Vios. But most of the City's power is at the high end of the RPM range which you won't use very often. But I think because you're comparing AT to MT, the City may have more 'pull'.

Other in/tangibles

- The City has 2 airbags for the 1 airbag of the Vios
    - City has a giant trunk, if or when you'd need it.
    - The City *may* have a slightly higher resale value down the line, but this MAY or MAY NOT be true come selling time.

Bottom Line
    Subjectively, it's the City for me, summing up the reasons above (mukhang talo lang naman yung City in terms of cost of ownership/maintenance). That, and I just don't want to buy a new car that's just about ready to be replaced. Bad trip yun para saken haha

+1, if you take good care of your car, the city won't be a problem in maintenance naman and since it is M/T, easier to maintain din in the long run. So I vote for the city as well.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post
    + for this one, why don't you try the new accent, di hamak naman na mas malakas yung new Accent kaysa sa option mong 1.3 City and Vios

Hyundai Accent --

you got more power (because it is 1.4 and the top variat is 1.6 ata)
    look (new design)

fuel efficency also (may nabalitaan ako dito na umabot ata yung FC nya ng 14km/ L)

and low price--688,000 php for the 1.4 CVVT AT variant.

kung sa post mo naman, mag-vVios na lang ako , of course the 1.3 E, because of its efficiency than the city.
    Actually ngayon ko lang nalaman na bago na pala design nung Hyundai Accent kaya hnd ko siya sinama kasi ayoko tlga nung dating design.

Well medyo napaisip nga ako dito ang pogi nga rin , pero by the looks of the interior nya medyo nasasablayan ako - looks cheap (like vios) - based sa mga actual photos, but I will check it out personally this weekend.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Actually ngayon ko lang nalaman na bago na pala design nung Hyundai Accent kaya hnd ko siya sinama kasi ayoko tlga nung dating design.

Well medyo napaisip nga ako dito ang pogi nga rin , pero by the looks of the interior nya medyo nasasablayan ako - looks cheap (like vios) - based sa mga actual photos, but I will check it out personally this weekend.
    Yes Sir, it will be very wise to personally check out each one. Though I'd leave out the Vios without a second thought. Accent na talaga. It has more power than the City 1.3S M/T, has similar power output as the Vios 1.5G, comes in A/T trim and is cheaper than the Vios 1.3E!

9. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Yes Sir, it will be very wise to personally check out each one. Though I'd leave out the Vios without a second thought. Accent na talaga. It has more power than the City 1.3S M/T, has similar power output as the Vios 1.5G, comes in A/T trim and is cheaper than the Vios 1.3E!
    Yes tama. na check ko na personally yung Vios at City, interior wise mas nagandahan ako sa City, mas mukang masusulit mo pera mo at mas maluwag. Pero mas trip ko talaga looks ng porma ng Vios sa labas lalo na pag nilagyan ng spoiler nag mumukang Mazda 3 na pinka trip ko tlga kaso talo sa lahat, sa looks lang siya panalo. at kasi sa Vios mababa tingin ng mga tao, pang "taxi/public vehicle" daw - talo sa magiging dating at porma. Pero personally hindi ganun tingin ko sa vios.

looks:

Vios = Bagets
    City = Classy

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Yes tama. na check ko na personally yung Vios at City, interior wise mas nagandahan ako sa City, mas mukang masusulit mo pera mo at mas maluwag. Pero mas trip ko talaga looks ng porma ng Vios sa labas lalo na pag nilagyan ng spoiler nag mumukang Mazda 3 na pinka trip ko tlga kaso talo sa lahat, sa looks lang siya panalo. at kasi sa Vios mababa tingin ng mga tao, pang "taxi/public vehicle" daw - talo sa magiging dating at porma. Pero personally hindi ganun tingin ko sa vios.

looks:

Vios = Bagets
    City = Classy

IMO kung hindi naman white kukunin mo na vios at hindi yung base model, hindi naman yan lalaitin na taxi.

Tsaka 'wag ka maniniwala sa sabi-sabi. Baka inggit lang yun at may kotse ka at sila wala.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Toyota Vios 2011 1.3E A/T or Honda City 2011 1.3S M/T - Please help me choose