New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    i really like how the fortuner looks, I dont like the looks of the everest, but they have a promo now with everest (free chattel mortgage, free LTO 3yrs, free insurance, free full tank diesel)

we will be getting the 4X2 A/T variants of these

how about the space?
    the ride?
    interior amenities/looks?
    expected problems?
    after sales service?
    availability of parts?

which of these should my father buy?
    Last edited by bankai; September 9th, 2007 at 07:30 PM.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    I think bet. the two, the Everest's biggest edge is its 2.5li diesel engine. 143ps*3,500rpm vs. Fortuner's 2.5li (2KD-FTV) 102ps*3,600rpm.

In terms of space (also passenger seating comfort), the Fortuner is better esp. its third row. The floor on the Everest is higher than the Fortuner's, giving passengers an uncomfortable legroom.

In terms of interior looks, its hands down Fortuner. I really dont like the hand crank/operated parking brake of the Everest.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    I think bet. the two, the Everest's biggest edge is its 2.5li diesel engine. 143ps*3,500rpm vs. Fortuner's 2.5li (2KD-FTV) 102ps*3,600rpm.

In terms of space (also passenger seating comfort), the Fortuner is better esp. its third row. The floor on the Everest is higher than the Fortuner's, giving passengers an uncomfortable legroom.

In terms of interior looks, its hands down Fortuner. I really dont like the hand crank/operated parking brake of the Everest.
    thank you sir for answers, me too, i dont like the hand brake of the everest, i think it is hard to operate that thing

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    how about the space?
    I feel more fat inside the Fortuner and uncomfortable as well
    the ride?
    Testimony of the owners? Fortuner's ride can be swallowed if you're willing to sacrifice.
    I like the Fortuner's dash. Much higher quality, I guess.
    expected problems?
    Although, some people tells us that the D4D is fixed. I cant even take a step with it. All Fortuner's I see are gasoline fed.
    after sales service?
    Expect better with Toyota in most. You have to be choosy with the dealers of Ford.
    availability of parts?
    Hands down with Fortuner. Its a Toyota - What a Feeling!
    Last edited by drey; September 9th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    space?

- The Fortuner has better shaped seats in the second and third row (second row is especially comfortable), but knee room in the third row is so-so.

- The Everest's third row seat is very close to the floor, making it uncomfortable... but the thin third row seats give it better cargo room. It's also easier to load... the Fortuner lacks stepboards on the rear bumper.

the ride?

I'd be lying if I said the Everest's ride was gentle, but I find it a bit more comfortable than the Fortuner's. The Fortuner has extremely stiff springs. The Everest is somewhat softer.

The stiffness gives the Fortuner exceptional handling, though... but both vehicles are equipped with rather slippery tires.

The Fortuner's interior is kind of baduy. The Everest's interior looks nice, but the plastic is cheap... possibly cheaper than the Fortuner's, but both have plastics of despicable quality.

expected problems?

Toyota promises no more D4D problems with the reprogram. I believe them. Ford uses a better CRDi system, but the ability of their transmissions to stand up to the strain is an unknown.

after sales service?

Ford has better service, usually. There are some good Toyota dealers out there, but there are lots of service advisors who'll try to pull a fast one on you.

availability of parts?

Don't expect D4D parts to be widely available and cheap... Most CRDi parts are expensive, and the injectors are not cheap to make or market. You're stuck buying whatever injectors came with the engine stock, once they start reacting to local fuel quality, some 150,000 - 300,000 kms down the line.

Suspension parts for the Toyota might be widely available, though... especially springs... because of the aforementioned super-stiff backache-inducing stock springs.

There are quite a few Banaue places that carry Ford parts for Ford/Mazda products like the Lynx, Ranger and Everest. Not as many as for Toyota, but they're there and prices are fair.

-----

Overall, I prefer the Everest, but the Fortuner 3.0 4x4 is a nice vehicle... wouldn't like to ride in the second row of either vehicle, but I'd give the Everest the advantage there.

The third row is pure purgatory. You're not buying these cars to carry seven people, okay? If that's what you need, get an Innova, Carnival or Starex.... heck, get a Santa Fe!

I like the Everest's engines and transmissions much better. The Fortuner's automatics are pretty horrible. The Everest's engines are snappier, and the 5-speed automatic is great in traffic. The Everest's rear-LSD is perfect for off-roading, and the wheel-wells will take bigger rubber than the Fortuner's will (so you can put mud tires on much more easily).

The Everest's steering feel is pretty good, but there's too much body-roll for my tastes. The Fortuner feels more secure, more planted. The steering is pretty numb, in true Toyota fashion, but the Fortuner handles very well for a truck. Brakes? I'd give it to the Everest, but I've never found reason to complain about the Fort's... as long as you don't drive stupid, you won't find them lacking.

As for looks... the Fortuner definitely looks better... but it's kind of common. The Everest looks old-fashioned, but that suits its off-road abilities perfectly.

Depends on your priorities. I'd get either of these for a personal toy, but not as a serious family car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    space?

- The Fortuner has better shaped seats in the second and third row (second row is especially comfortable), but knee room in the third row is so-so.

- The Everest's third row seat is very close to the floor, making it uncomfortable... but the thin third row seats give it better cargo room. It's also easier to load... the Fortuner lacks stepboards on the rear bumper.

the ride?

I'd be lying if I said the Everest's ride was gentle, but I find it a bit more comfortable than the Fortuner's. The Fortuner has extremely stiff springs. The Everest is somewhat softer.

The stiffness gives the Fortuner exceptional handling, though... but both vehicles are equipped with rather slippery tires.

The Fortuner's interior is kind of baduy. The Everest's interior looks nice, but the plastic is cheap... possibly cheaper than the Fortuner's, but both have plastics of despicable quality.

expected problems?

Toyota promises no more D4D problems with the reprogram. I believe them. Ford uses a better CRDi system, but the ability of their transmissions to stand up to the strain is an unknown.

after sales service?

Ford has better service, usually. There are some good Toyota dealers out there, but there are lots of service advisors who'll try to pull a fast one on you.

availability of parts?

Don't expect D4D parts to be widely available and cheap... Most CRDi parts are expensive, and the injectors are not cheap to make or market. You're stuck buying whatever injectors came with the engine stock, once they start reacting to local fuel quality, some 150,000 - 300,000 kms down the line.

Suspension parts for the Toyota might be widely available, though... especially springs... because of the aforementioned super-stiff backache-inducing stock springs.

There are quite a few Banaue places that carry Ford parts for Ford/Mazda products like the Lynx, Ranger and Everest. Not as many as for Toyota, but they're there and prices are fair.

-----

Overall, I prefer the Everest, but the Fortuner 3.0 4x4 is a nice vehicle... wouldn't like to ride in the second row of either vehicle, but I'd give the Everest the advantage there.

The third row is pure purgatory. You're not buying these cars to carry seven people, okay? If that's what you need, get an Innova, Carnival or Starex.... heck, get a Santa Fe!

I like the Everest's engines and transmissions much better. The Fortuner's automatics are pretty horrible. The Everest's engines are snappier, and the 5-speed automatic is great in traffic. The Everest's rear-LSD is perfect for off-roading, and the wheel-wells will take bigger rubber than the Fortuner's will (so you can put mud tires on much more easily).

The Everest's steering feel is pretty good, but there's too much body-roll for my tastes. The Fortuner feels more secure, more planted. The steering is pretty numb, in true Toyota fashion, but the Fortuner handles very well for a truck. Brakes? I'd give it to the Everest, but I've never found reason to complain about the Fort's... as long as you don't drive stupid, you won't find them lacking.

As for looks... the Fortuner definitely looks better... but it's kind of common. The Everest looks old-fashioned, but that suits its off-road abilities perfectly.

Depends on your priorities. I'd get either of these for a personal toy, but not as a serious family car.

Wow! I really think the Everest is MUCH better than Fortuner... but if there's a third option for a Santa Fe, without thinking twice i'd go for it! The Santa Fe looks like a very powerful SUV. It may look smaller than Everest and Fortuner but its loaded with lots of saftey features and a good CRDi engine, not mentioning its a Hyundai but i don't really care about the brand... and besides their quality is getting better and better and BETTER!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Yep, Sta Fe is nice... But lets keep it open and avoid that someone might hack into this thread and praise it likes it god of all cuv's. Like what he always do. :sigh:
    iam3739.com

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    tnx for the inputs guys, if only my father insert the option of santa fe, i would definitely go for santa fe, just keep them coming . . .

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I've no idea of that someone... haha! But again... Santa Fe is really nice! Hahaha! Oh well... ^_^

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i have a 4x4 fort which i bought nov of 06, at that time my budget was really for the 4x2 gas model. because the dealer does not have any gas model for test driving... i test drove the 4x2 diesel (which they are able to deliver to a client) instead. IMHO i felt a bit underwelmed by the 2.5li engine. i felt my 1.6 corolla(love life) was faster than the 2.5li fort. when i finally get to test the gas model, i have to rev hard to attain decent acceleration. The ride of my fort is best describe as "wallowing"

Its my understanding that the 2.5li fort costs 1.4m. as the other esteemed tsikoteers said. why don't you check out other options like the santa fe (1.528M) which IMHO have a much much better ride than the Fort or the Everest. despite its korean origins. Just ask your dad to test drive the santa fe, no harm in test driving...

If you dont need a 7 seater, there's lots of other 5 seater choices that'll fit your budget...

But if you really are decided to choose between a fort and everest. i would suggest you get the 4x2 gas model fort instead... its cheaper to maintain and
    have better acceleration although its my understanding that the everest is no slouch either. i've yet to see a racing everest on the road but i've seen a couple of forts whose driver drove as if their hind end is on fire.

just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Toyota Fortuner or FORD Everest