New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Question to all previous and current Toyota Corolla Gli owners, would you recommend this car to lady beginners? Ano ang common problems na naencounter nyo with this car? What would be the reasons if you'll sell it or has sold it?

It's one of my options kasi for my first car, a/t second hand.

Thanks po sa inputs and feedback

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I am a former owner of a 1996 GLi M/T. I had that car for 18 years and it made me a fan of Toyota! But I would not recommend a car older than 10 to a newbie driver especially if it's automatic. Unless you have family that is knowledgeable with cars to help you out and you don't mind spending some of your weekends at the talyer.

What year are you planning to buy? Even if the car is well maintained, expect some repairs from normal wear and tear. I did not want to let go of my car but one reason I also sold it was ayoko abutan ng electronic problems. But if you are really set on having your first car, I have nothing negative to say about the GLi. Parts are cheap and easy to find and there are a lot of mechanics that can work easily on the GLi.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Am also a former owner of a 1995 GLi M/T. For a car that age, meron ng pagawain, unless maselan yung previous owner, swerte ka nadun na kaunti nalang ang pagagawa.

parts are cheap, mura, easy to mantain, almost or lahat ng mekaniko alam na alam na yang makina nyan, very common car.
    i had my fair share of sensor problems sa GLi ko before, pero nung napagawa ko na, smooth na ulit sya.
    power steering is i think the GLi's weak spot, mahal magpawa, be sure to check the ps system ng maigi if matutuloy ka kumuha ng GLi.

may i also suggest, pag matuloy ka sa GLi, kuha ka ng lovelife body, mas bago bago pa kesa sa bigbody. goodluck!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jaganda View Post
    Question to all previous and current Toyota Corolla Gli owners, would you recommend this car to lady beginners? Ano ang common problems na naencounter nyo with this car? What would be the reasons if you'll sell it or has sold it?

i still have my Lovelife GLi (1999 model). from the time i got it, i had changed a radiator (nag overheat), tensioner and timing belt replacement, CV joint, ball joints and bushings and one top overhaul (sira na ang mga oil seals sa katagalan).... its now at 110k kms..

wala pa akong planong ibenta.... baka ipamana ko na lang sa anak ko as his first car.
    pero M/T yun, hindi A/T.... sa A/T iba ang maintenance like regular ATF changes, etc.

pero tama yung sabi nila.... if this is your first car, baka marami ka ng ipapagawa.... just make sure you test and inspect the car thoroughly before purchasing.

overall, nice car.... wala masyadong kunsumisyon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaganda View Post

i still have my Lovelife GLi (1999 model). from the time i got it, i had changed a radiator (nag overheat), tensioner and timing belt replacement, CV joint, ball joints and bushings and one top overhaul (sira na ang mga oil seals sa katagalan).... its now at 110k kms..

wala pa akong planong ibenta.... baka ipamana ko na lang sa anak ko as his first car.
    pero M/T yun, hindi A/T.... sa A/T iba ang maintenance like regular ATF changes, etc.

pero tama yung sabi nila.... if this is your first car, baka marami ka ng ipapagawa.... just make sure you test and inspect the car thoroughly before purchasing.

overall, nice car.... wala masyadong kunsumisyon.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    A Corolla, be it a GLI, XE or XL is a troublefree car AS LONG AS it has been properly maintained by the previous owner.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    I've had a 1996 Corolla Gli M/T and 2000 Corolla Gli M/T both bought second hand.

Sold the 1996 Corolla last year with 165k+ odo after 14 years of ownership. The 2000 Corolla is still with me at 208k+ Km, 9 years of ownership na..

Some of the common repairs done to both due to wear and tear are:
    Shocks, Ball joints, steering rack end replacements.
    Replaced radiator due to cracked top.
    Thermostat because stuck up causing elevated temp.
    power steering hose replacement.
    Timing belt replacement including water pump.
    engine support replacement

Unique repairs to the 1996 Corolla
    Top overhaul due to leaking valve seal
    Driver side power window motor replacement

Hindi na napagawa bago ibenta:
    Speedometer and tachometer not accurate anymore. Buti ok pa yung temp at fuel gauges.

Unique to the 2000 Corolla
    Steering rack rebuild due to leak.

Ang weakness nila seems to be the power steering system. This may be due to age na rin. The cooling system is also suspect. I would recommend to flush and refresh the coolant every year.

Mukhang maraming repairs pero most ay wear and tear.
    Very reliable cars kaya nga may 2014 altis ulit kami.

For 2nd hand and A/T, i agree with the opinion of other members, make sure that you check the car thoroughly and bring a trusted mechanic along if you don't know what to look for. This is true kahit anong 2nd hand car ang bibilhin mo.

And kahit anong sasakyan, may masisira at masisira dahil sa wear and tear.
    Ang importante, madaling ayusin, abundant at affordable ang parts.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Super thanks po sa replies nyo I'm a newbie sa car so hindi talaga marunong tumingin. Then may nakilala akong mekaniko and may nirefer syang nagbebenta ng Toyota Corolla Gli.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    What year are you planning to buy? Even if the car is well maintained, expect some repairs from normal wear and tear. I did not want to let go of my car but one reason I also sold it was ayoko abutan ng electronic problems. But if you are really set on having your first car, I have nothing negative to say about the GLi. Parts are cheap and easy to find and there are a lot of mechanics that can work easily on the GLi.
    Unfortunately, di nya pa ako nababalikan kung anong year yun.

Quote Originally Posted by 7138 View Post
    may i also suggest, pag matuloy ka sa GLi, kuha ka ng lovelife body, mas bago bago pa kesa sa bigbody. goodluck!
    Noted po, sana nga yung lovelife body ang makuha ko

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Parang reunion thread ito ng bigbody Corolla owners.

A 1993 GLi Corolla is still with. My first car actually straight out of medical school. Bought by my parents as a gift. Reliable car. Now, semi-retired. Still use it a relief car and occasional hatid school ing mga bata. Not planning to sell it. Sentimental value.

Unless kilala no yon unit, do not buy a 20 year old or so sedan.

Parang reunion thread ito ng bigbody Corolla owners.

A 1993 GLi Corolla is still with. My first car actually straight out of medical school. Bought by my parents as a gift. Reliable car. Now, semi-retired. Still use it a relief car and occasional hatid school ing mga bata. Not planning to sell it. Sentimental value.

Unless kilala no yon unit, do not buy a 20 year old or so sedan.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    My first car was a 98 lovelife GLI AT which I bought 2nd hand in 2004. I'm no expert and even brought our mechanic with me. Honestly though he wasn't much of a help.

My simple advise to you (based on my experience) if getting an AT vehicle:
    1. Check for leaks either under the hood or on the ground itself. Be wary of oil leaks and ATF leaks.

2. Check ATF coloration. If it's dark red to black and not the typical reddish color. If may be a sign that the previous owner did not maintain it properly.

3. Request a test drive. Turn off the radio and listen to the engine. Take note of vibrations and "lagatok"

4. Shift to drive (D) without stepping on the gas. On a flat surface it should at least move forward slowly or even just a little bit.

5. Just for the sake of checking shift to (D) but step on the brakes just for a couple of seconds (max na siguro 5 sec) if you feel the vibrations are very strong. It may indicate possible problems sa transmission et al.

Again I'm no expert this is just based on my personal experience which I completely overlooked when I bought my GLI. Needless to say I paid dearly for my mistakes.

The car is still running until now and Is still my primary vehicle.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the big body corolla was and is still a great car, in my opinion, even as i am a sentra person.
    would-be buyers be aware of ex-taxis being misrepresented as private owners. the lifetime of this model as a taxi ran out recently..

the big body corolla was and is still a great car, in my opinion, even as i am a sentra person.
    would-be buyers be aware of ex-taxis being misrepresented as private owners. the lifetime of this model as a taxi ran out recently..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast