New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aargh View Post
    Malaking bagay ba ung resale value? Ako kasi I dont consider it in my decision. A lot of the buyers kasi resale value ang iniisip kaya toyota pinipili. Di pa nga binibili ung kotse, pagbenta na ang nasa isip. Nothing wrong with that if u see ur car as just an appliance.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    For people who are concerned about budget / finances, resale value is very important to them.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    For people who are concerned about budget / finances, resale value is very important to them.
    it matters pag yung mga owner na nagpapalit talaga mga 5 years. pero yung mga owner na decades ang bilang, i think di na concern yun

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    One should based the savings on the PMS cost of the car being compared, in this case a Toyota. Toyota PMS cost is usually cheaper.

Toyota PMS is every 3 months/5000 km. However, they're not very strict so I used to get away with every 6 months/10000 km as long as I use fully synthetic oil.

Hmmm ... ... ... 4,000 x 3 x 3 = 36,000, not 24,000 ...
    4,000 per PMS session x 2 PMS sessions per year (every 6 months) x 3 years = P24,000.

Never heard of a car company requiring maintenance every 4 months (or 3x a year).
    Last edited by jut703; May 25th, 2014 at 03:46 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Malaking bagay ba ung resale value? Ako kasi I dont consider it in my decision. A lot of the buyers kasi resale value ang iniisip kaya toyota pinipili. Di pa nga binibili ung kotse, pagbenta na ang nasa isip. Nothing wrong with that if u see ur car as just an appliance.

Sa corporate world it's common for companies, especially banks, to provide car benefits to their officers. Usually every 5 years entitled ka ulit to a new car. You can then sell your old car for extra cash.

Sent from the Twilight Zone...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006

Dito kasi sa tsikot, uso i-downplay ang resale value. But it's just as important as sticker price.

Sticker price + maintenance cost - resale value = total cost of ownership for that car.

In the case of the Mazda 3 1.5V and Altis 1.6V (assuming Mz3 can be sold at 380k after 5 years while Altis at 450k):

Altis: 999k + 40k (5 yrs at 4k per 6 months) - 450k = 589k
    Mz3: 945k + 16k (2 yrs at 4k per 6 months) - 380k = 581k

The PMS savings sort of cancels out the resale value advantage. So it's pretty much a tie for the two. Of course, resale depends on how well you negotiate so it varies per person.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    You buy the car because you like it. You can't equate that with it's resale value. Mataas nga ang resale value nung binili mo, tulo laway ka naman pag nakikita mo yung gusto mo talaga.

The price difference and the resale value for me is no big deal. Important is I am happy with the buy.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by confused shoes View Post
    You buy the car because you like it. You can't equate that with it's resale value. Mataas nga ang resale value nung binili mo, tulo laway ka naman pag nakikita mo yung gusto mo talaga.

The price difference and the resale value for me is no big deal. Important is I am happy with the buy.
    Comparing car A and car B both selling for, say, 1M. But car A will have resale value that is 100k higher than car B.
    If you take that into consideration, it's like car A is 1M while car B is 1.1M.

If you still like car B more even if effectively you'll spend more for it, then go. But if you feel that your 100k in 5 years (or whenever you wanna sell it) will be better used for other ventures (investments, education of children, etc), then perhaps it's better to think again.

I don't get why resale price is not important but people care about sticker price.
    Is it because sticker price is what you pay now (or in the span of several years if you loan it), vs. resale price which you only realize once you sell it?

Money is money, and even if you factor in depreciation, a huge variance in resale value still results to a huge variance in your net cash flow relating to the vehicle purchase.

I would understand it more if someone who doesn't care about resale value also doesn't care about sticker price, but most people here are so particular about the latter.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    ^ Exactly.
    But between the two, I will get the Mazda. Why? Maiba naman.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My SA gave me until 8 months for my PMS on fully synthetic oil. My car travels about 500 kms +/- a month lang kasi. I am spending about 5k annually on PMS I love Toyota

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Erroneous data indeed. How can you live with yourself if you're against people like yourself?
    i think he added the difference between toyota's 999 versus mazda's 945.
    but there's still 6K to account for..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast